News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Heading from NJ to TN soon

Started by signalman, August 13, 2012, 07:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

signalman

Hey all, first and foremost...admins please move this topic to a regional board if you feel it belongs in one.  I wanted to post here since my travels will be in several regions. 

I'll be headed to Knoxville, TN in a few weeks where I'll be staying for the night race in Bristol, TN.  I'll be traveling I-78 W in NJ and PA to I-81 S through PA, MD, WV, VA, and TN to I-40 W in TN, and the same routes in the opposite direction to go home.  I was curious if anyone knows of any long term construction in any of the areas I'll be traveling.  I know I-81 is a heavy trucking corridor, and I'm prepared to contend with them.  Plus I'm looking forward to finish clinching I-81.  Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also, on a side note...is anyone on here going to Bristol for the race?

hbelkins

Quote from: signalman on August 13, 2012, 07:45:24 AM
Hey all, first and foremost...admins please move this topic to a regional board if you feel it belongs in one.  I wanted to post here since my travels will be in several regions. 

I'll be headed to Knoxville, TN in a few weeks where I'll be staying for the night race in Bristol, TN.  I'll be traveling I-78 W in NJ and PA to I-81 S through PA, MD, WV, VA, and TN to I-40 W in TN, and the same routes in the opposite direction to go home.  I was curious if anyone knows of any long term construction in any of the areas I'll be traveling.  I know I-81 is a heavy trucking corridor, and I'm prepared to contend with them.  Plus I'm looking forward to finish clinching I-81.  Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also, on a side note...is anyone on here going to Bristol for the race?

On the return trip, you will run into construction northbound on I-81 just past where I-64 joins. They're adding a truck lane, or they were when I drove that stretch in May.

Not going to Thunder Valley. Would rather watch it on TV.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

We're actually debating whether to have a road trip board for this forum - so here's another data point! There's some construction on I-81 in PA but I don't recall it affecting traffic very much, just a low speed limit with some drums and barriers.

Alex

There was repaving ongoing toward the south end of Interstate 81 in Tennessee in June. Plus some work at the interchange with US 25E (Exit 8 ) is ongoing to 2014.

signalman

Thanks for the heads-up, guys!  I'll report on these construction zones after I return home.  Also, even though I don't like driving through construction zones, another lane is really needed where I-64 multiplexes.  The finished product should help out a lot with traffic flow.

Mapmikey

Also construction on 81 SB in Virginia btw Exit 128 and Exit 118 - making the truck lane continuous through there.  Most of the nastier stuff nearer to Exit 118...

Mapmikey

hobsini2

If you are traveling with kids and have time, there is a really cool safari park off of I-81 north of Roanoke VA near Natural Bridge. I-81 Exit 180. We did that a couple years ago with the kids and had a great time. It took about 1 1/2 hrs to do the 3 mile drive around the park. It also has a petting zoo attached to it.

http://www.virginiasafaripark.com/geninfo.html

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

signalman

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 22, 2012, 05:51:34 PM
If you are traveling with kids and have time, there is a really cool safari park off of I-81 north of Roanoke VA near Natural Bridge. I-81 Exit 180. We did that a couple years ago with the kids and had a great time. It took about 1 1/2 hrs to do the 3 mile drive around the park. It also has a petting zoo attached to it.

http://www.virginiasafaripark.com/geninfo.html

I appreciate the heads-up.  I've been there before, as well as the Natural Bridge.  Both places I've been to when I was a kid, and I have plenty of fond memories.  Unfortunately on this trip it will be all adults and we don't have too much extra time, as a couple of people have to be back to work on Monday.  I wanted to visit the Natural Bridge again, but it's just not in the time schedule.  I'd also like to explore more of US 11 for my own personal road geeking.  However, I know others would balk at me taking a non interstate when there's one parallel to US 11.  So, with all that said, on the way down and back we have to push hard and only stop for food/fuel and pee breaks.

mightyace

Quote from: hbelkins on August 13, 2012, 08:39:06 PM
Not going to Thunder Valley. Would rather watch it on TV.

I'm headed there.  After going there in person, it's much better being there than watching it on TV.  The TV coverage just can't cover everything that's happening.

I tend to avoid I-81 on race days opting for the parallel routing of US 321 from Newport and US 11E.  Much less traffic!

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.