News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Possible Mazatlan Road Trip this fall

Started by US 41, May 12, 2017, 11:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 06, 2017, 02:20:55 AM
Great pictures! Sure looms like fun. How different is Mexico's roads and people on the road compared to the US? I don't know much about that area.

The roads in general are a lot rougher than the roads here in the US and Canada. The autopista between Jimenez and Torreon had a section with lots of pot holes. Sometimes there were so many that they were simply unavoidable and I had to drive around 25 mph (or less) in certain places to make sure I didn't tear my car up. I would also say that in Mexico you have to really pay attention to what you are doing.
   On the autopista Durango-Mazatlan it is a two lane highway that acts as a three lane highway. It's nice being able to pass fairly easily, but you have to really pay attention to what you are doing and what other people are doing. It's not quite as simple as just steering down the highway, you have to actually know how to drive. I didn't get as many pics as I would have liked to on this section of road because of that. If this makes sense you have to drive defensively, but yet somewhat aggressive in Mexico, especially on the 2 lane highways with wide shoulders.
  I didn't really communicate with too many people in Mexico, but when I did I found everyone to be pretty friendly for the most part. I was searched three times by the police in Mexico and not one time were they unfriendly about it or unprofessional. I never once felt threatened by anyone and I never like I was being mistreated by anyone either.
  I would also say I was very well prepared for what to expect in Mexico. I had been planning this trip since my senior year in high school (over 2 years ago). I knew what I needed as far as paperwork was concerned, the potential of being stopped by military/police, and the different road conditions I could expect. I even went as far as watching other people on Youtube drive in Mexico just to get a feel for what it might be like.
  I also had about 160 miles of driving experience in Mexico from when I drove into Mexico when I was 19 (currently 21). I actually drove into Mexico the first time at Ojinaga, which is a big reason why I chose to enter Mexico there again this last time. I was already familiar with that area so I immediately felt comfortable.

I'll definitely return to Mexico in the future. Living so far away in Indiana it will probably be a couple of years, especially since I just did the trip in Mexico that intrigued me the most. Really before I had discovered the autopista Durango - Mazatlan I had never really considered driving in Mexico.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.