News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

I-64 Southside Widening and High Rise Bridge Expansion Project - Project Newsletter - May 2020
QuoteConstruction Continues on the New High Rise Bridge

Bridge piers continue to be built on both sides of the the river. As of April 20 th , 80% of piles have been installed, and crews have successfully constructed 30 columns, 11 pier caps, and are making preparations to start installing large beams on top of the piers beginning in May 2020.

The highest part of the new bridge is currently 99 feet, a small height compared to the 113 feet it will be to the top of the bridge in order to provide a final 100 foot clearance under the bridge for the navigational channel.

Drainage Ponds Underway near the I-464 exit

Storm water basins at the cloverleafs at 464 are being constructed to manage storm-water runoff for the new road widening. Retention basins collect storm-water run-off in permanent pools to provide flood control, pollutant removal and erosion control.

Update on Great Bridge Boulevard Bridge Replacement

Construction of the Great Bridge Boulevard Bridge has kicked into high gear! This new replacement bridge will have longer spans than the existing bridge to allow for the construction of the new High Rise Bridge and additional interstate lanes. The new bridge is being built slightly to the west (towards Suffolk) of the current bridge and will replace the current bridge once complete.

During the winter, construction continued on the center pier and the abutments on the north and south side of I-64 (parallel to the current Great Bridge Boulevard Bridge). The pier and abutments serve as the supports of the new bridge that will be built over I-64.

As seen in the photo below, a bridge pier is being constructed in the median to support the new overpass.

Columns and Piers Taking Form for the Interstate Widening over Military Highway

The columns for the bridge widenings over I-64 at Military Highway as shown in the photos are nearly complete. Crews have begun working on the pier caps. Girders, which are the horizontal structures that support the roadway, will begin being installed this summer.

Military Highway continues to be reduced to one lane in each direction under the I-64 overpass.

Update on I-64 Widening over Yadkin Road

"Crashwalls" were added to the existing I-64 columns for added protection in the event that a train incident were to occur near the overpass. Crews will soon begin working on the pier caps and abutments. Crews will then begin installing girders during the summer.

Pardon Our Noise - Construction Activities at the Shell Road I-64 Overpass Starting Soon

Construction activities at the Shell Road I-64 overpass began mid-April and will continue into fall. Typical daily work hours are from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

With construction progressing, residents and businesses can expect noise and may feel minor vibrations due to pile driving and other construction activities in the vicinity.

Instances may occur where activities extend past 5 p.m.; however, per City of Chesapeake noise ordinance, all excessive loud noise activities will be suspended between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. the following morning unless otherwise approved and the public has been notified.

Temporary road closures and flagging operations on local roadways may also be necessary for the safety of our workers and traveling motorists. All road closures will be announced in advance with variable message boards on the roadways and on the traffic alerts section of our project website.

amroad17

^ Concerning the above post...

1.  It is great that VDOT is widening I-64 from Bowers Hill to I-464--although it is really 15 years late.  However, with the funding issues before, I realize that this is the first opportunity available to do this.  Also, it is the perfect time to do this to coincide with the building of the new High Rise Bridge.
   2.  I could possibly see flyovers in the future for the I-64/I-464 (Exit 291) interchange.
           - I-64 (East) to US 17/VA 168 South
           - I-64 (West) to I-464 North
   3.  I noticed that the VDOT camera screenshot showed an "I-64 WEST/Va. Beach" sign.  Is VDOT starting to sign I-64 EAST/WEST (opposite compass direction) between I-464 and I-264?  I have posted before in other topics that maybe VDOT could change the cardinal direction of I-64 to NORTH/SOUTH from either the I-664 interchange in Hampton or at Mallory Ave. just before the HRBT to the Bowers Hill interchange (using that US 13 used to be a signed NORTH/SOUTH bypass on I-64 from Bowers Hill to Northampton Blvd. from the time it opened until 1981).
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

sprjus4

Quote from: amroad17 on May 09, 2020, 05:32:04 AM
^ Concerning the above post...

1.  It is great that VDOT is widening I-64 from Bowers Hill to I-464--although it is really 15 years late.  However, with the funding issues before, I realize that this is the first opportunity available to do this.  Also, it is the perfect time to do this to coincide with the building of the new High Rise Bridge.
Unfortunately, while the project will help significantly, it's only Phase 1 of the ultimate build outlined in the EIS.

One HO/T (high occupancy toll) lane is being built each way, with still only two general purpose lanes each way. This will still help congestion and provide a congestion-free option. However, I feel as if general purpose improvements would have been more appropriate at least for this phase.

The new High Rise Bridge is also currently one piece of the ultimate build. When Phase 1 is complete in 2021, the new bridge will carry westbound (towards Va Beach) traffic while the existing bridge will continue carrying eastbound traffic.

The currently unfunded Phase 2 project will widen the corridor further to 8 lanes (which at that time I feel adding one HO/T lane along with 3 general purpose lanes - the exact typical section that will be utilized west of I-464 - would be appropriate though I believe the official plan is 2+2 which hopefully gets changed), replace the existing High Rise Bridge with a twin of the new one currently under construction, and reconfigure all interchanges.

2.  I could possibly see flyovers in the future for the I-64/I-464 (Exit 291) interchange.
           - I-64 (East) to US 17/VA 168 South
           - I-64 (West) to I-464 North
As mentioned above, the future unfunded Phase 2 project will overhaul all interchanges including the Oak Grove Interchange. The plan in the EIS showed a flyover from VA-168 / US-17 North to I-64 East along with one from I-464 South to I-64 West. This would leave the major I-64 East to VA-168 / US-17 South movement as a loop, though weaving would be eliminated entirely. My personal belief is the loops in the southern quadrant are adequate with a C/D road handling I-64 weaving between the light traffic movements, and that the I-464 South to I-64 West flyover should be instead built from I-64 East to VA-168 / US-17 South, a much busier movement.

In my opinion, the Oak Grove Interchange (I-64 / I-464 / VA-168 / US-17) warrants its own project similar to the Bowers Hill Interchange, apart from the I-64 Phase 2 project. Different options should be evaluated including building a flyover to VA-168 / US-17 South. Consideration should also be taken to the potential Future I-87 corridor to Raleigh that will follow US-17 into North Carolina that will likely increase volumes further once built. Fixing that bottleneck sooner independent of the almost $2 billion Phase 2 would be helpful considering the interchange has been a joke since the Oak Grove Connector was built in 1999. I'd argue it's more of a bottleneck and hazard than the Bowers Hill Interchange, which VDOT seems to be putting more priority on.

3.  I noticed that the VDOT camera screenshot showed an "I-64 WEST/Va. Beach" sign.  Is VDOT starting to sign I-64 EAST/WEST (opposite compass direction) between I-464 and I-264?  I have posted before in other topics that maybe VDOT could change the cardinal direction of I-64 to NORTH/SOUTH from either the I-664 interchange in Hampton or at Mallory Ave. just before the HRBT to the Bowers Hill interchange (using that US 13 used to be a signed NORTH/SOUTH bypass on I-64 from Bowers Hill to Northampton Blvd. from the time it opened until 1981).
It's not signed in most places, there's the obvious exception of that sign, also on the Dominion Blvd freeway upgrade that also signs East and West.

amroad17

I did not realize that there was more Phases to this construction project.  I need to research more.   :D

In a perfect world, the Oak Grove interchange should be built to a four-level stack.  However, with development infringing against the ROW throughout most of the interchange, it would be difficult to build this without some extra ROW acquisition.

You are correct that a flyover needs to be built from I-64 to US 17/VA 168 South (Future I-87).  That seems more important than the I-464 to I-64 flyover.

Either VDOT or the city of Chesapeake has to realize that the Oak Grove interchange area isn't "country" anymore.  This interchange was adequate in the 1970's and 1980's.  Not now.  Because of the opening of I-464 north of Military Hwy., the opening of the Oak Grove Connector (VA 168), and the upgrade of Dominion Blvd. (US 17) to a freeway, this interchange has turned into one of the more complex and busy interchanges in South Hampton Roads.  It needs to be upgraded big time.

Could you give me an opinion on why VDOT believes the Bowers Hill interchange is a "problem"?  There seems to be free-flowing movements on the main freeways throughout the interchange--with the exception being the US 58 East to I-664 North movement utilizing a loop ramp.  That could be solved with a flyover possibly tying in with the US 58 West to I-664 North on ramp.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

froggie

Bowers Hill is a problem because of a significant weave in the eastbound direction, where traffic from Suffolk continuing to Portsmouth/Norfolk has to weave across traffic from 664 wanting to continue along 64 towards the High Rise all in the span of about 2/3 mile  These are the primary southbound/eastbound movements and cause a problem especially during the morning rush.

The westbound weave is less of a problem but by no means zero.

So it's reasonable to conclude that VDOT considers the safety issues at Bowers Hill to be more important than the mostly-capacity issues at 464.

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on May 09, 2020, 01:46:02 PM
Bowers Hill is a problem because of a significant weave in the eastbound direction, where traffic from Suffolk continuing to Portsmouth/Norfolk has to weave across traffic from 664 wanting to continue along 64 towards the High Rise all in the span of about 2/3 mile  These are the primary southbound/eastbound movements and cause a problem especially during the morning rush.

The westbound weave is less of a problem but by no means zero.

So it's reasonable to conclude that VDOT considers the safety issues at Bowers Hill to be more important than the mostly-capacity issues at 464.
The Oak Grove Interchange is by no means a piece of cake either. The busiest movements, VA-168 North to I-64 East and I-64 East to VA-168 South have to weave where the two loops converge, and once on I-464 South right before the US-17 and VA-168 split, traffic bound to VA-168, the busier route, has to cross across one or two lanes in a very short distance coming up a 25 mph loop, mixed in with I-464 South in all lanes traffic moving 60+ mph. It's mind boggling that the flyover concept presented in the I-64 EIS wouldn't even address this.

In addition to these major safety issues at this 1960's era interchange, largely worsened by the Oak Grove Connector tie in in 1999 with no improvements to the I-64 cloverleaf, traffic backs up daily (non-COVID) on I-64 East back to at least Greenbrier Pkwy and is a crawl until past the bridge and onto the congested High Rise Bridge where it finally begins to pick back up to 40-55 mph.

At least with the Bowers Hill Interchange, weaving movements are all done at roughly the same high speed, not one at 25 mph and the other at 60+ mph. Traffic congestion isn't nearly as much as a problem as it is at Oak Grove.

Do I think the Bowers Hill interchange should get an overhaul? Yes. Do I think the Oak Grove Interchange should be a higher priority and at least given its own EIS such as Bowers Hill independent of I-64 Phase 2? Yes.

sprjus4

hbelkins

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 22, 2020, 10:39:10 AM
https://twitter.com/VaDOT/status/1263810854371373057

OK, now this is interesting. When I load the page, whatever was quoted is visible only for a brief moment, then disappears. Happens every time I reload the page.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Saw this on VDOT's Facebook page today.

sprjus4

^

The image you posted is what was also on their Twitter.

QuoteFLASHBACK #FRIDAY: These markers along routes 17 & 360 in @EssexCountyGov illustrate how highway signs have changed from 1946 to now. They also show how Tappahannock has expanded in the past 74 yrs @VaDOTFRED

1995hoo

I find it interesting that the green sign has the arrow to the left of the word "Tappahannock." Normally VDOT puts that on the right side in the same position where a distance would go to note that a place is just a short distance ahead. (See Street View from the weigh station between Gilbert's Corner and Aldie, for example: https://goo.gl/maps/LWQdJdqcWWwNzLnj8 )

The US shields on the newer assembly there sure are ugly versions.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

The US-17 assembly is typical, the US-360 one is off.

sprjus4

Hasn't been mentioned yet...

2019 AADT data was released in the past couple of weeks - https://www.virginiadot.org/info/2019_traffic_data.asp

sprjus4

sparker

Quote from: hbelkins on May 22, 2020, 02:26:10 PM
Saw this on VDOT's Facebook page today.

They could have solved that "fraction" and put 0.04722 either in the shield or on the banner below!  :-P/ :-D

Yeah, I'm becoming weirder than usual during this sequestration/quarantine period!

sprjus4

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 22, 2020, 10:23:22 PM
https://twitter.com/VaDOTSalem/status/1263985997618065415
Long-term closure in place for US-460 in both directions near the Virginia state line. Thru traffic will need to use I-81 and I-77 as a detour. That routing is only about 10 minutes longer so nothing significant.

TRAFFIC ALERT: ROUTE 460 CLOSED IN VIRGINIA IN GILES COUNTY, EAST OF WEST VIRGINIA BORDER
Drivers will need to use Interstate 77 as an alternative route traveling in or out of Virginia

QuoteGILES COUNTY, VIRGINIA — As of Saturday, May 23, all lanes of Route 460 in Giles County, Virginia, about five miles east of the West Virginia border, are closed following a mudslide that collapsed portions of the roadway and damaged a retaining wall.

Virginia motorists traveling to West Virginia from Roanoke, Blacksburg and other locations east of the West Virginia border will need to take Interstate 81 to Wytheville and detour onto northbound Interstate 77.

West Virginia drivers traveling east into Virginia will need to use southbound Interstate 77 as an alternative route around the Route 460 closure.

The slide occurred on Route 460 about a mile west of the Town of Narrows. Route 460 traffic between Route 61 and Route 643 (State Line Road) is affected.

The Virginia Department of Transportation expects this to be a long-term closure possibly lasting weeks, but an exact time for reopening Route 460 has not been established.

Updates on this closure and the latest Virginia traffic information are available at www.511virginia.org, through the free mobile app or by phone.

This segment needs to be fully reconstructed in the long term, to straighten that part of the roadway heading westbound.

1995hoo

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 22, 2020, 03:35:58 PM

Compare them to the US-50 shield seen in the Street View image I linked from near Aldie. The ones in VDOT's photo are more like bubble shields by comparison.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 22, 2020, 03:35:58 PM

I actually prefer the square three-digit markers, with a smaller font, to the wider rectangular signs, and have since the wider versions were introduced in Kentucky in the 1970s.

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 23, 2020, 03:53:33 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 22, 2020, 10:23:22 PM
https://twitter.com/VaDOTSalem/status/1263985997618065415
Long-term closure in place for US-460 in both directions near the Virginia state line. Thru traffic will need to use I-81 and I-77 as a detour. That routing is only about 10 minutes longer so nothing significant.

TRAFFIC ALERT: ROUTE 460 CLOSED IN VIRGINIA IN GILES COUNTY, EAST OF WEST VIRGINIA BORDER
Drivers will need to use Interstate 77 as an alternative route traveling in or out of Virginia

QuoteGILES COUNTY, VIRGINIA — As of Saturday, May 23, all lanes of Route 460 in Giles County, Virginia, about five miles east of the West Virginia border, are closed following a mudslide that collapsed portions of the roadway and damaged a retaining wall.

Virginia motorists traveling to West Virginia from Roanoke, Blacksburg and other locations east of the West Virginia border will need to take Interstate 81 to Wytheville and detour onto northbound Interstate 77.

West Virginia drivers traveling east into Virginia will need to use southbound Interstate 77 as an alternative route around the Route 460 closure.

The slide occurred on Route 460 about a mile west of the Town of Narrows. Route 460 traffic between Route 61 and Route 643 (State Line Road) is affected.

The Virginia Department of Transportation expects this to be a long-term closure possibly lasting weeks, but an exact time for reopening Route 460 has not been established.

Updates on this closure and the latest Virginia traffic information are available at www.511virginia.org, through the free mobile app or by phone.

This segment needs to be fully reconstructed in the long term, to straighten that part of the roadway heading westbound.

This sounds to me like the embankment under the eastbound lanes gave way and slid down onto the westbound lanes. Hopefully some photos will emerge.

sprjus4

Quote from: hbelkins on May 23, 2020, 06:41:28 PM
This sounds to me like the embankment under the westbound lanes gave way and slid down onto the eastbound lanes.
FTFY. The westbound roadway is on higher elevation than the eastbound roadway.

Likely occurred around this area - https://www.google.com/maps/@37.349193,-80.8086961,3a,74.3y,137.38h,97.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPZdc48UTMID3Ko0Ay9Oxcg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

hbelkins

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 23, 2020, 07:12:43 PM
This sounds to me like the embankment under the westbound lanes gave way and slid down onto the eastbound lanes.

Likely occurred around this area - https://www.google.com/maps/@37.349193,-80.8086961,3a,74.3y,137.38h,97.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPZdc48UTMID3Ko0Ay9Oxcg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

Yep, I got them backwards.

VTGoose

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 23, 2020, 07:12:43 PM

Yes, once again the bank gave way under the original route (first VA 8, later U.S. 460). The two-lane highway was built high on the bluff through the Narrows to Rich Creek, then climbed again to run to Glen Lyn. The Virginian Railway ran closer to the New River below the road. After the Virginian and Norfolk & Western merged, the Virginia Department of Highways condemned the Virginian from Glen Lyn through Narrows to improve the highway. A new four-lane road was built on and along the former railroad from Glen Lyn east to Rich Creek. A new two-lane road was built on the railroad roadbed to carry eastbound traffic from Rich Creek through "suburban" Narrows (the main part of the town is on the other side of the New River), joining the original road at the east end of town. The original road then became the two-lane westbound road.

The original road twists and turns around rock outcroppings as it follows the terrain in the Narrows. Little has been done other than to build retaining walls on the river side of the road and to shore up the occasional landslide that dropped part of a lane toward the eastbound lanes below. It is past time for VDOT to widen a few places along the eastbound lanes and move the westbound lanes off the mountain. The original road could be cut just east of State Line Road without causing undue problems to local residents.

In the meantime, most traffic is taking the long way around via I-81 and I-77, while locals and others in the know use Lurich Road on the other side of the river to get between Narrows and Glen Lyn. It is a narrow two-lane road with a tight square turn to get to and through the underpass beneath the N&W near the Glen Lyn end (https://www.google.com/maps/place/37°22'28.7%22N+80°50'42.9%22W/@37.374651,-80.8462109,313m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d37.374651!4d-80.8452507?hl=en&authuser=0). It is not for the faint of heart and definitely not for any type of truck over pickup size.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Fixed I-81 typo (was I-88).  -Mark
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

froggie

Quote from: VTGoose on May 26, 2020, 10:47:28 AM
while locals and others in the know use Lurich Road on the other side of the river to get between Narrows and Glen Lyn. It is a narrow two-lane road with a tight square turn to get to and through the underpass beneath the N&W near the Glen Lyn end (https://www.google.com/maps/place/37°22'28.7%22N+80°50'42.9%22W/@37.374651,-80.8462109,313m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d37.374651!4d-80.8452507?hl=en&authuser=0). It is not for the faint of heart and definitely not for any type of truck over pickup size.

Google Maps suggests the rail underpass in question is closed through next week.  Is that the case?

VTGoose

Quote from: froggie on May 26, 2020, 08:38:07 PM
Quote from: VTGoose on May 26, 2020, 10:47:28 AM
while locals and others in the know use Lurich Road on the other side of the river to get between Narrows and Glen Lyn. It is a narrow two-lane road with a tight square turn to get to and through the underpass beneath the N&W near the Glen Lyn end (https://www.google.com/maps/place/37°22'28.7%22N+80°50'42.9%22W/@37.374651,-80.8462109,313m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d37.374651!4d-80.8452507?hl=en&authuser=0). It is not for the faint of heart and definitely not for any type of truck over pickup size.

Google Maps suggests the rail underpass in question is closed through next week.  Is that the case?

That may be so, just to keep traffic off an inadequate road. This is from the Bluefield Daily Telegraph:

QuoteCounty officials, law enforcement and VDOT workers have been attempting to redirect traffic to safer alternate eastbound and westbound routes, but these efforts have been complicated by drivers following GPS driving app instructions instead of following the illuminated warning signs VDOT has posted.

"I think some of these truckers will follow a GPS over the edge of a damn cliff if it told them "˜recalculating ... turn right.' They need to turn off their apps and pay attention to signs in a situation like this,"  said Capt. E.S. Thwaites of the Giles County Sheriff's Office, who noted that errant commercial truck traffic has compounded the congestion at multiple traffic choke points.

The story also gives somewhat correct but questionable directions for an alternative route from I-77 to Narrows via VA 61 from Rocky Gap. The road is mostly on a former railroad roadbed, so it has easy curves and a pretty flat grade -- but it is a two-lane country road. It may be OK for locals who are used to that type road, but the story also quotes Capt. Thwaites, "This is the route commercial truckers should definitely take."

The whole article is at https://www.bdtonline.com/news/landslide-closes-stretch-of-route-460-in-virginia/article_5b07ca56-9eec-11ea-bb64-772e1217230e.html and includes a photo and a pretty good description of the problem.

WVVA, the Bluefield television station also posted the detour info from the sheriff's office:

QuoteFollowing the closing, the Giles County Sheriffs Office has shared alternative routes for those affected by the incident.

The BEST ALTERNATE ROUTE includes taking I-77 to Rocky Gap, leading you to Wolf Creek Road. This has been deemed the best and saftest alternative route. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED FOR TRUCKERS.

Other alternative routes include taking Lurich Road off of 460 to get around the closures, taking you back on to 460. THIS ROUTE IS NOT ALLOWED FOR TRUCKS OR VEHICLES OVER 20 FEET because there is a one lane tunnel.

Motorists can also take I-77 to I-81 and then come through Dublin to hit Route 100 to get around the road closures on 460.

It would seem that the I-77/I-81 routing would be preferred by truckers (especially

Virginia 511 is showing Lurich Road open as of Wednesday morning.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

sprjus4

Then there's Google Maps which shows US-460 closed in both directions, yet if you type in a routing - such as Roanoke to Beckley - it has no problem telling you to take US-460 right through the closure.

Do a closer in routing though, it then routes you down Lurich Rd to "avoid road closure". It would be helpful if it would tell people routing from I-81 instead of right at the closure. Wonder how many people have followed Google Maps to the closure then finding themselves going down Lurich Rd.

It shows I-81 and I-77 as 10 minutes slower, 25 miles longer.

Per 511virginia.org, the only VMS up on I-81 South between Roanoke and Christiansburg read "SAFETY IS NOT CANCELED SLOW DOWN". A select few VMS on Christiansburg local roads read "US-460 TRAFFIC TO WEST VA USE TO I-77 NB TO WV EXIT 9", but that's about it. There may be portable VMS up as well that just aren't displayed - I would hope that's the case.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 27, 2020, 09:52:56 AM
Per 511virginia.org, the only VMS up on I-81 South between Roanoke and Christiansburg read "SAFETY IS NOT CANCELED SLOW DOWN". A select few VMS on Christiansburg local roads read "US-460 TRAFFIC TO WEST VA USE TO I-77 NB TO WV EXIT 9", but that's about it. There may be portable VMS up as well that just aren't displayed - I would hope that's the case.

I drove I-81 southbound from Strasburg to Wytheville on Sunday.  There were at least five of VDOT's DMS units on the southbound side south of Lexington warning drivers headed for Princeton, West Virginia to use I-81 S to I-77 N to avoid the U.S. 460 problem discussed above. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.