News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Who Else is Bucking the Car Trend?

Started by Roadgeekteen, April 01, 2021, 10:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 01, 2021, 10:47:21 AM
Honestly, I don't get cars. They are expensive, distracting, noisy, and dangerous. Horses are reliable, safe, and don't damage the environment. And if you need to go somewhere fast, the train is always an option. I'm afraid that people nowadays are getting too addicted to their cars. I refuse to participate in car culture, and I think ditching the automobile was a good step toward getting away from it.

Anyone else here had enough of the car craze, or never bothered with it in the first place?

i live about 20-25 miles out of town (depending on how you define 'town'). there's no buses, trains or anything. just 10 miles of twisty mountain road, and another 10-15 of plains, to suburban, to urban, roads.

i like my car. its a camry, and fits me like a glove.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kphoger

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on April 01, 2021, 04:41:27 PM
i live about 20-25 miles out of town (depending on how you define 'town'). there's no buses, trains or anything. just 10 miles of twisty mountain road, and another 10-15 of plains, to suburban, to urban, roads.

i like my car. its a camry, and fits me like a glove.

Early in our marriage, my wife and I lived in Herrin, IL.  I had a job as a regional delivery driver, and the warehouse was three miles from our house.  My wife had a job as a legal secretary in downtown Benton, and she drove the car to work.  Usually, she dropped me off at work.  If I got off work before my wife, I usually hitchhiked at least half the way home.  Sometimes, if she had to go in early, I'd ride my bike to work, but that only happened a few times.

A couple of times, if I got off really early, I'd go home, change clothes, walk up to the edge of town, and hitchhike the 16 or 17 miles to Benton.  Then I'd just sit out in the parking lot and surprise her.  You should have seen her face the first time!  Is that... it IS!  Wait, how did you GET here?  I have the car.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

I caved in and started driving more and more as soon as COVID cropped up here in January 2020.

I'd rather be on the bus when visiting the city. Or the train.

kkt

I've been dropping off and picking up the child at college.  Once the pandemic is over, they can learn to take the bus or train!

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2021, 12:50:34 PM
Quote from: kkt on April 01, 2021, 12:47:50 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 01, 2021, 12:45:04 PM
I know there are a growing number of young people who eschew owning a vehicle for living in urban areas, mixed-use walkable communities, and so on, but I suspect the original post was an attempt at trolling related to today's date.

Oh, sure, and a reaction to the cell phones thread.

All those "Unpopular Opinions about XYZ"  threads popped up in rapid succession.  I figured this was just another like example with the smart phone thread.

"La Villa Strangiato" is a better Rush instrumental. Oh wait, you said "XYZ," not "YYZ."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: Bruce on April 01, 2021, 06:15:57 PM
I caved in and started driving more and more as soon as COVID cropped up here in January 2020.

I'd rather be on the bus when visiting the city. Or the train.

I haven't ridden the bus since it started, but I also haven't needed to either.  I generally only take the bus if my car is in the shop and I can't get a loaner that day, or I have a meeting at church but my wife needs the car.  But yeah, that's probably the thing I would be least comfortable doing during COVID.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

thspfc

This is a high quality troll post. Good job.  :clap:

kkt

the wheels on the bus aren't going round and round.

Brandon

Anyone bother to look at the date the OP posted?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Brandon on April 02, 2021, 07:13:01 PM

I was well aware it was a satire thread when it was posted.  It didn't stop me from answering it as I had something valid to comment on.

Chris

Max Rockatansky

Took me about 30 seconds after I posted that two of those "concepts"  seemed to have originated from ideas I tossed out on the Fictional Board.  Seemed plausible enough at 5 AM in the morning after the I-30 and US 91 Daggett stuff I found on the AASHO Database.

webny99

I suspect that everyone knew, but decided to reply seriously anyways.

Quote from: thspfc on April 01, 2021, 08:45:02 PM
This is a high quality troll post. Good job.  :clap:

It might have even been copied and pasted, with a few words changed. Compare:

I'm afraid that people nowadays are getting too addicted to their cars. I refuse to participate in car culture, and I think ditching the automobile was a good step toward getting away from it.
Anyone else here had enough of the car craze, or never bothered with it in the first place?

Quote from: stridentweasel on March 26, 2021, 06:43:45 PM
...  But I honestly worry that society is giving too much power to tech companies ...  I refuse to participate in tech culture, and I think ditching the smartphone was a good step toward getting away from it.
Anyone else here had enough of the smartphone craze, or never bothered with it in the first place?

MCRoads

I am well aware the date this thread started, however I think this thread is a nice place to talk about legitimate attitudes towards cars. That being said:

This post is entirely serious. I will give some details regarding my situation, however I am not going to elaborate much, as this is a sore subject for me.

I am legally not allowed to drive all states in the US due to vision issues I was born with. I can see enough to do most things unassisted, however even with my glasses, I am legally blind. This means that I cannot do anything that requires me to pass a vision test. Annoyingly (but I guess also thankfully?) this means I can't drive. This is kind of ironic, as I (along with most members on here) probably know more about how to drive than than people who pass a DMV test. Hell, I just yelled at my dad for not using a roundabout correctly!

So, I have to use Uber/busses/trains/planes to get around. The busses are free for me since I go to school at a local community collage, but it is really damn annoying, since I live in a part of Colorado Springs where the busses don't go. So to go from my house to the south campus of my collage, I have to get a 20 minute Uber to the bus, take a 50 minute bus ride, transfer to another bus, then take a 40 minute bus ride. If I needed to go to Denver airport, I would have to take the Uber and first bus, then take a different bus downtown, then take a different (not free to me) bus from CO Springs to Denver, than take the light rail to the airport. Or I guess if I wanted to be cheap, I could take a greyhound bus to where I need to go from Denver, but everyone knows that they suck.

Anyway, I will stop complaining about my inability to drive, and let others continue making fun of the American car culture.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

nexus73

Personal transportation is about finding the solution that fits your needs. Nome would see a skimobile, airplane and boat be good things to have.  Downtown San Francisco living would be about mass transit, Uber, taxis, rental cars as needed, Amtrak and commercial flights.  Live on the coast of Oregon in a rural setting to see where full sized pickups that are 4WD work well.  Suburban life with commuting would make an EV practical for day to day use while long road trips could be handled by renting a gas or diesel powered vehicle.  Those who attend a lot of sporting events or go to campgrounds would enjoy an RV.

Get the shoes that fit for the win!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

bing101

Honestly, I don't get cars. They are expensive, distracting, noisy, and dangerous. Horses are reliable, safe, and don't damage the environment. And if you need to go somewhere fast, the train is always an option. I'm afraid that people nowadays are getting too addicted to their cars. I refuse to participate in car culture, and I think ditching the automobile was a good step toward getting away from it.

Part joke and part truth on this one. I know if you live in Downtown San Francisco, Downtown Sacramento, Davis, Berkeley and Oakland you cannot own a car due to parking fee reasons and spacing issues and access to public transit. But in places like Fairfield, Vacaville, Vallejo, Benicia you are pretty much dependent on a car if you want to get around within town.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.