News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ruined roadmeets

Started by bandit957, January 27, 2015, 02:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Has a roadmeet ever been completely ruined for a majority of participants?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jakeroot

I almost killed all of the occupants of my van during the Seattle roadmeet in October. I was merging onto I-5 during the rain and the Sienna started to lose control. Steve (Alps) grabbed onto the ceiling of the car (or something) and Kacie Jane in the middle was actually pretty calm, but his two friends in the rear were losing it (so far as I remember).

So, it wasn't ruined, but it was damn close.

bugo

I heard somebody farted at one of the meets in Kentucky and ruined it for everyone.

bandit957

Quote from: bugo on January 27, 2015, 02:55:57 AM
I heard somebody farted at one of the meets in Kentucky and ruined it for everyone.

At each roadmeet I've been to, the number of bunker blasts I've detected has doubled from the previous meet. The Huntington/Ashland meet had 1, the Cincinnati meet had 2, the St. Louis meet had 4.

All were hilarious.

bandit957

Quote from: jakeroot on January 27, 2015, 02:41:04 AM
I almost killed all of the occupants of my van during the Seattle roadmeet in October. I was merging onto I-5 during the rain and the Sienna started to lose control. Steve (Alps) grabbed onto the ceiling of the car (or something) and Kacie Jane in the middle was actually pretty calm, but his two friends in the rear were losing it (so far as I remember).

At one of the roadmeets I was at - I'm not going to say which one - I almost threw up all over the inside of the car. We were pulling into a business, and the driver jerked the car suddenly because he got mad at a joke that someone else told.

I'd been warning people in the hour or so leading up to this that I was getting carsick, but this warning was to no avail.

bugo

This wasn't a roadmeet, but a few years ago I flew from Fargo to Tulsa with a layover in Chicago. Despite taking several Dramamine and a quarter bar of Xanax, I nearly puked when the plane suddenly slowed down when getting ready to land at O'Hare. I mean NEARLY puked. I don't know how I kept from ralphing all over the plane. During the layover, I ate something and took another quarter bar and a handful of Dramamine and had no problems when I landed at TUL.

hbelkins

At the Youngstown meet a few years ago, the chosen lunch location was in fact not open for lunch, so we found an alternative restaurant.

I've also attended some rainy meets (Chattanooga 2013 is probably the wettest one I've been to), but never been to one that was a total washout.

On an individual basis, my two worst incidents occurred in 2013. I got deathly ill at the Portsmouth, NH meet. I'm not sure what happened, but it's possible I was adjusting to a new medication I'd started just a couple of days prior. And then I had car trouble on the way to Wichita later that year.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

texaskdog

Quote from: jakeroot on January 27, 2015, 02:41:04 AM

That's how I feel when my 19 year old is driving

jeffandnicole

I'm sure I said something wrong or just insanely stupid at the meets I went to and ruined it for everyone else! :-) 

Brandon

Every road meet seems to have a strange thing happen to it.

Most "ruined": St. Louis, 2014.  After viewing the new I-70 bridge from a dicey area near downtown St. Louis, we attempted to get to an ice cream place way on the SW side of St. Louis.  Several of us didn't make it due to traffic.  I had to pull out every Chicago trick to get through that crap and almost got there (I-44 & Hampton).  We toured I-170 to get back to the Chain of Rocks (where one of our vehicles already was).  We met the others there, and a certain commenter here ran off with three others almost immediately (before the host arrived).  It got screwier after that.  We tried to make a ferry across the Illinois River.  I made the turn after missing it with another vehicle.  Two other cars drove on to Hardin.  We went through Calhoun County, Illinois, and then across the Mississippi River ferry before going back to Collinsville, Illinois.

Port Huron/Sarnia was done in and out of the rain.  That included a massive downpour at one stop.

I lost someone at the Starved Rock meet between the Starved Rock Lodge at the top of the bluff and the parking lot at the bottom of the bluff.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bandit957

Quote from: Brandon on January 27, 2015, 02:15:05 PM
Most "ruined": St. Louis, 2014.  After viewing the new I-70 bridge from a dicey area near downtown St. Louis, we attempted to get to an ice cream place way on the SW side of St. Louis.  Several of us didn't make it due to traffic.  I had to pull out every Chicago trick to get through that crap and almost got there (I-44 & Hampton).  We toured I-170 to get back to the Chain of Rocks (where one of our vehicles already was).  We met the others there, and a certain commenter here ran off with three others almost immediately (before the host arrived).  It got screwier after that.  We tried to make a ferry across the Illinois River.  I made the turn after missing it with another vehicle.  Two other cars drove on to Hardin.  We went through Calhoun County, Illinois, and then across the Mississippi River ferry before going back to Collinsville, Illinois.

I thought this meet went really well, but it turned into sort of a "Choose Your Own Adventure" meet after we did the part just north of downtown.

After all, this was the roadmeet to end all roadmeets.

QuoteI lost someone at the Starved Rock meet between the Starved Rock Lodge at the top of the bluff and the parking lot at the bottom of the bluff.

During the 2013 Cincinnati meet, one of the cars in our motorcade disappeared without a trace. A few days later, they finally turned up. I think they said they had a family emergency or something.

bugo

Quote from: bandit957 on January 27, 2015, 02:32:41 PM
I thought this meet went really well, but it turned into sort of a "Choose Your Own Adventure" meet after we did the part just north of downtown.

It was very poorly planned (Sorry, Pha, but it was) but we made it into something great. I wish that everybody had stopped at the CoR bridge because it was the highlight of the meet. We could all walk around and stretch our legs and talk to each other without being cooped up in a car. But some of the cars headed to cross some stupid ferry or something and left us behind. Their loss.

Brandon

Quote from: bandit957 on January 27, 2015, 02:32:41 PM

Hence my "ruined" in quotes.  The original itinerary was ruined, but it got somewhat epic after that.  Hell, we took two carferry rides and went through the most Appalachian of Illinois counties.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

vtk

The Columbus meet (sometime in '05—'10 inclusive) tour got interrupted by heavy rain. We stopped at McDonald's in Hilliard to wait it out; at least a couple of people got drenched running in to use the bathroom there.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

texaskdog

Most "ruined": St. Louis, 2014.  After viewing the new I-70 bridge from a dicey area near downtown St. Louis, we attempted to get to an ice cream place way on the SW side of St. Louis. 

"I must go to THIS ice cream place across town"

jpi

I have to admit Chattanooga was a complete wash out, my roadmeet last March had weatehr issues to as it was unusually cold and windy for middle Tennessee in March but overall it worked out good. And despite the cluster that was St Louis last year, it was still a fun meet :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

corco

Quoteand a certain commenter here ran off with three others almost immediately

I was kidnapped!

jakeroot

Quote from: texaskdog on January 27, 2015, 05:04:53 PM

Most "ruined": St. Louis, 2014.  After viewing the new I-70 bridge from a dicey area near downtown St. Louis, we attempted to get to an ice cream place way on the SW side of St. Louis. 

"I must go to THIS ice cream place across town"

Was it Ted Drewes?

Alps

The Flint roadmeet was ostensibly ruined when the host didn't show up and no one knew the plans, but they improvised and turned it into a Dead Flint meet, so it wasn't really ruined. I think that even when a meet is "ruined" as far as the driving goes, it's the people that you have at the meet that turn it into a good time regardless.

jpi

Looking back, there was another road meet that for me I had to cancel going even though I had the time off from work and was even going to set up at a small toy show the next day, this was the first St Louis Road Meet back in April 2008, my father in law passed away and Steph and I were in central PA for 2 weeks, but a silver lining came when Steph and I were able to go to Doug Kerr's Hartford, CT road meet the next weekend.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Dougtone

Quote from: jpi on January 27, 2015, 06:26:21 PM
I have to admit Chattanooga was a complete wash out, my roadmeet last March had weatehr issues to as it was unusually cold and windy for middle Tennessee in March but overall it worked out good. And despite the cluster that was St Louis last year, it was still a fun meet :-)

The 2014 St. Louis meet turned out to be a great time, despite the issues that happened during the course of the meet.

texaskdog

Quote from: Alps on January 27, 2015, 11:07:39 PM
The Flint roadmeet was ostensibly ruined when the host didn't show up and no one knew the plans, but they improvised and turned it into a Dead Flint meet, so it wasn't really ruined. I think that even when a meet is "ruined" as far as the driving goes, it's the people that you have at the meet that turn it into a good time regardless.

Was it Michael Moore?

Brandon

Quote from: texaskdog on January 28, 2015, 08:13:26 AM
Quote from: Alps on January 27, 2015, 11:07:39 PM

Was it Michael Moore?

No, we visited two dead malls and did some ruin pr0n drives of Flint.

74/171FAN

Slightly OT, but for some reason I have been wondering if the goat sighting on the 2013 Pikeville meet was the beginning of the end of Alanland. (or ruining I should say) 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

Not really "ruined", but I recall one meet (Laura's ICC meet IIRC) where the restaurant we intended to eat at was closed, so we had to do a spot improvisation.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.