Ruined roadmeets

Started by bandit957, January 27, 2015, 02:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: froggie on January 28, 2015, 11:05:28 AM
Not really "ruined", but I recall one meet (Laura's ICC meet IIRC) where the restaurant we intended to eat at was closed, so we had to do a spot improvisation.
We did similar at the recent Cape May meet; no big deal since there was an alternative place that was open within walking distance.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

Not really "ruined", but I recall one meet (Laura's ICC meet IIRC) where the restaurant we intended to eat at was closed, so we had to do a spot improvisation.

This is what happened at Youngstown a few years ago, so it's interesting to know that it has happened more than once.

Quote from: Alps on January 27, 2015, 11:07:39 PM
The Flint roadmeet was ostensibly ruined when the host didn't show up and no one knew the plans, but they improvised and turned it into a Dead Flint meet, so it wasn't really ruined. I think that even when a meet is "ruined" as far as the driving goes, it's the people that you have at the meet that turn it into a good time regardless.

Something similar happened at the most recent Dayton meet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NJRoadfan

Can't say it was ruined, but there was a minor fender bender during the December 2002 Queens meet involving Doug Kerr's Justly Famous CR-V™.

PHLBOS

Quote from: hbelkins on January 28, 2015, 01:26:13 PMso it's interesting to know that it has happened more than once.

QuoteWe improvised, we adapted, we overcame!
-Gunnery Sergeant Tom Highway   :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 28, 2015, 06:22:22 PM
Can't say it was ruined, but there was a minor fender bender during the December 2002 Queens meet involving Doug Kerr's Justly Famous CR-V™.

Also had one during the most recent State College, Pa. meet. One of the drivers was Oscar Voss but I can't remember the other driver.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on January 28, 2015, 08:10:48 PM

Also had one during the most recent State College, Pa. meet. One of the drivers was Oscar Voss but I can't remember the other driver.
It's now a verb. Oscar was Denny Pined.

codyg1985

Quote from: jpi on January 27, 2015, 06:26:21 PM
I have to admit Chattanooga was a complete wash out, my roadmeet last March had weatehr issues to as it was unusually cold and windy for middle Tennessee in March but overall it worked out good. And despite the cluster that was St Louis last year, it was still a fun meet :-)

And that Chattanooga meet was in the middle of the summer, which isn't supposed to be rainy. I try to plan my meets when it isn't supposed to be rainy, but it didn't work out that time. :-/
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

froggie

The Middle TN meet wasn't that bad...aside from lunch starting an hour earlier than I was led to believe.  But I worked around it.  As it was, I only had time to stop for the lunch, but it was a convenient excuse to detour through TN on my way home to MN.

As for "close calls", there was one meet a few years ago where a member of my carpool almost twisted his ankle at a stop we made before we even got to the meet.  I'll leave it to him to explain... :cool:

jpi

Come to think of it Froggie, the 2010 Baltimore meet my wife had to "retrieve" your camara at the restaurant :-P
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Dougtone

Compared to what happened to my car in January 2003, I can't say that was ruined.  Nothing ruins your day quite like a giant chunk of ice the size of a full grown person falling from the roof of your house onto the roof of your car while you're showering.

getemngo

Quote from: hbelkins on January 28, 2015, 01:26:13 PM

This is what happened at Youngstown a few years ago, so it's interesting to know that it has happened more than once.

Though the restaurant wasn't closed, I remember another last-minute restaurant switch: on one of the days of the 2009 Indianapolis meet, we were supposed to eat at a bar, but I wasn't 21 yet and they wouldn't let me in. We wound up at Cracker Barrel instead.

Quote from: Alps on January 27, 2015, 11:07:39 PM
The Flint roadmeet was ostensibly ruined when the host didn't show up and no one knew the plans, but they improvised and turned it into a Dead Flint meet, so it wasn't really ruined. I think that even when a meet is "ruined" as far as the driving goes, it's the people that you have at the meet that turn it into a good time regardless.

Something similar happened at the most recent Dayton meet.

Hmm... that's strange. You'd almost think it was the same host or something... :spin:
~ Sam from Michigan

jpi

Quote from: getemngo on February 05, 2015, 07:43:37 PM

Though the restaurant wasn't closed, I remember another last-minute restaurant switch: on one of the days of the 2009 Indianapolis meet, we were supposed to eat at a bar, but I wasn't 21 yet and they wouldn't let me in. We wound up at Cracker Barrel instead.
Too bad I was not at the meet with you guys, I could have given you guys my discount! ;-)

--quotefix --sso
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

Quote from: getemngo on February 05, 2015, 07:43:37 PM

I don't remember that. On Friday we ate lunch at Hardee's in Washington, then a very late dinner at some pizza place. Saturday's lunch was downtown at a Chipotle or something. Maybe it was after the meet broke up at that KFC on the west side of Indy and several of us went our separate ways.

getemngo

Quote from: hbelkins on February 05, 2015, 10:25:56 PM
I don't remember that. On Friday we ate lunch at Hardee's in Washington, then a very late dinner at some pizza place. Saturday's lunch was downtown at a Chipotle or something. Maybe it was after the meet broke up at that KFC on the west side of Indy and several of us went our separate ways.

Actually, I think that was the night before the start of the meet (wasn't it a Saturday/Sunday meet?). So it goes from barely counting to definitely not counting.
~ Sam from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: getemngo on February 05, 2015, 11:11:00 PM
Actually, I think that was the night before the start of the meet (wasn't it a Saturday/Sunday meet?). So it goes from barely counting to definitely not counting.

Could have been. I went county-collecting in the northeastern counties of Indiana the day before the meet started and didn't get to Indy until very late.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: getemngo on February 05, 2015, 11:11:00 PM
Actually, I think that was the night before the start of the meet (wasn't it a Saturday/Sunday meet?).

I'm pretty sure it was a Friday/Saturday meet.
-A.J. from Michigan

brianreynolds

As usual, I'm chiming in way late in the conversation, probably after everyone else has moved on.

I know what Brandon means by " ruined"  (in quote marks).  The St. Louis meet really was not ruined.  The lunch venue was well chosen.  Some frustration got near the boiling point.  Kim did a pretty darn good job scouting.  The vantage point for the view of the Stan Span was probably the best available.  The viewing spot was amid industrial ruins, but was not nearly as dangerous as some have said.  The exit from there was a cluster cluster, but how do you scout in advance for a major parade and a near-simultaneous 100K marathon, each of which has massive mega-security?  The choice of Ted Drewes for a break stop was not frivolous.  This place is an icon of old US-66.  I agree with Jeremy about the Chain-of-Rocks Bridge.  The folks who passed this by missed the best part of the tour.  From a hosting point-of-view, in a sense, this meet was a victim of its own success.  It is ten times easier to herd ten cats than twenty.  My biggest regret has nothing to do with planning or scouting.  There were a lot of people there that I wish I could have had more time with, new people that I should have spoken with but didn't.  In retrospect, St. Louis would have been a really good two-day meet.

Dayton and Flint suffered from a common source problem, but succeeded for a common reason.  If the host fails, the participants are left to their own improvisational creativity.  In both cases, those who attended made it work.  Whether a meet works or not depends in major part on who shows up.  As these two meets proved, sometimes the phantom host becomes irrelevant.

The two-day in Indy was big fun for me.  Not ruined in any way.  I hope everybody enjoyed it as much as I did.

codyg1985

Quote from: brianreynolds on February 15, 2015, 10:57:13 PM
I know what Brandon means by " ruined"  (in quote marks).  The St. Louis meet really was not ruined.  The lunch venue was well chosen.  Some frustration got near the boiling point.  Kim did a pretty darn good job scouting.  The vantage point for the view of the Stan Span was probably the best available.  The viewing spot was amid industrial ruins, but was not nearly as dangerous as some have said.  The exit from there was a cluster cluster, but how do you scout in advance for a major parade and a near-simultaneous 100K marathon, each of which has massive mega-security?  The choice of Ted Drewes for a break stop was not frivolous.  This place is an icon of old US-66.  I agree with Jeremy about the Chain-of-Rocks Bridge.  The folks who passed this by missed the best part of the tour.  From a hosting point-of-view, in a sense, this meet was a victim of its own success.  It is ten times easier to herd ten cats than twenty.  My biggest regret has nothing to do with planning or scouting.  There were a lot of people there that I wish I could have had more time with, new people that I should have spoken with but didn't.  In retrospect, St. Louis would have been a really good two-day meet.

I think that a lot of the problem with the STL meet was the number of people, sequencing of the stops, and going through downtown during the parade and marathon. However, being able to time everything so that we got to Ted Drewes at a good time for it to be a break would have been difficult without sequencing it the way it was. Maybe we should have done all of the Illinois stuff first (Ketchup bottle, the stuff along the Illinois River, the Chain of Rocks bridge), then do Ted Drewes, then the Stan Span when the lighting would have been best at the viewpoint we had. Of course, hindsight is 20/20. Despite all of the issues of the meet, it was a successful meet, and, if anything else, will not be soon forgotten.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Quote from: brianreynolds on February 15, 2015, 10:57:13 PM
The two-day in Indy was big fun for me.  Not ruined in any way.  I hope everybody enjoyed it as much as I did.

I suspect Steve didn't enjoy it as much, because he got sick and had to bail at Bloomington.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Well, regarding the r00ined St. Louis meet, someone told "my" car, a certain now-deceased turbocharged Hyundai (may it rest in peace) owned by a certain resident of TEXAS who believes cow is better than pig, that we were going to CoR after stopping at the world's largest bottle of gross sauce OOPS I mean ketchup.

Then we got disconnected from the group almost immediately thereafter because traffic lights.  Then we found out the hard way that the group was actually heading for downtown, after we were already committed to exit onto I-270.

Then we started heading downtown in a rather round-about way, involving a bit of a ghetto tour, and upon arriving downtown, we found that getting around was Virtually Unpossible™, and after some frustrating phone calls and texts, being unable to figure out where to go, frustrations hit the boiling point, jokes were made at someone's expense, and we just headed back up to CoR.

While enroute to CoR, an epic driving manoeuvre, committed by a certain resident of TEXAS who believes cow is better than pig, inside a certain now-deceased turbocharged Hyundai (may it rest in peace) involving an illegal U-turn on the Interstate, was committed.

After the best part of the meet, aka CoR, we drove around some more, through "The Appalacians of Illinois" where we proceeded to lose a car or two, I guess they took a ferry.  We then went over an epic truss bridge, after which it was my turn to pilot the certain now-deceased turbocharged Hyundai (may it rest in peace).  During this turn behind the wheel, I decided I really couldn't wait for Steak N Shake, and as soon as a solid concrete barrier appeared in the median, I turned the certain now-deceased turbocharged Hyundai (may it rest in peace) into a streak of motion blur.  This may or may not have been witnessed by the occupants of a certain graphite-colored Chevrolet Impala rental car.

Once at Steak N Shake, a certain resident of TEXAS who believes cow is better than pig emitted an utterance confirming that pig is in fact better than cow.  After Steak N Shake, we retreated to the hotel, played a hilarious game, and I retreated to my big red walk-in closet on ten wheels and went to bed.

The end.

P.S. This was the greatest road meet ever, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

The REAL end.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

bandit957

If a roadmeet gets ruined, I shall do the "ruin dance." This consists of a gesture resembling splitting a blade of grass down the middle and saying "keek! ruin!" in a funny voice.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

JREwing78

Quote from: Brandon on January 27, 2015, 02:15:05 PM
I lost someone at the Starved Rock meet between the Starved Rock Lodge at the top of the bluff and the parking lot at the bottom of the bluff.

I still don't know how we did that. Starved Rock State Park is not a difficult place to navigate.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.