News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2018 Alaska Roadmeet - May 29, Fairbanks

Started by Alps, October 10, 2016, 10:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

During what week can you attend the meet? Still determining day of week.

6/3-9, 2018
1 (20%)
6/10-16, 2018
3 (60%)
6/17-23, 2018
3 (60%)
6/24-30, 2018
2 (40%)
7/1-7, 2018
2 (40%)
7/8-14, 2018
2 (40%)
7/15-21, 2018
3 (60%)
7/22-28, 2018
3 (60%)
7/29-8/4, 2018
3 (60%)
8/5-11, 2018
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Alps

For those seriously considering attending the meet, what weeks can you make it? I'm inclined to hold it midweek, assuming everyone will take at least one week off to make it up to Alaska and look around.

EDIT: Updated with the meet date. More details as we get closer. Dalton tour to follow May 30/31.

corco

My schedule is pretty flexible on date ranges. 

From reading around, and from a lot of prior experience driving long distances off pavement in cold (though not Arctic) climates, I strongly favor doing it in June or early July as I suspect the Dalton Highway will be less dried out/rutted/dusty and therefore much easier to drive the earlier we go. I think we want to hit the sweet spot where there is no snow but the road still has a small amount of moisture and isn't abused by a summer of trucks driving down it. On an unpaved surface, I'd personally rather deal with reasonable amounts of  ice/mud than washboards (while a little bit slicker, it's much smoother and way easier on the car, making it easier to control the car) - though in June I suspect we'd be able to avoid both.

My only requirement is that the meet itself be early/midweek (Sun-Tue, Mon-Wed, Tue-Thu, Wed-Fri, Thu-Sat)- I'll be driving up from Boise in a Dalton-able vehicle, and if the meet were primarily on a weekend I'd reasonably have to take two full weeks off from work to make it happen, which is probably more than I want to commit to.

Alps

I've changed the first two weeks to become the last two weeks. Later July may have better conditions. For my own sake (other vacation plans) I don't want to get into August.

Duke87

My sister's wedding is 7/15 so the week before or after that is no good for me.

Anything else should, as of this writing, work.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jpi

I am out for this one, we are planning our 5th road trip out west around the middle of July and there is no way I can tie it in with a side trip to the great white north (as much as I would like to :nod:) I wish you all lots of luck and fun and I do plan on getting up that way hopefully sometime 2020 or beyond. :sombrero:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

froggie

There was talk in another thread of tying this into the Twin Cities meet I've been working on, so that those driving cross-country would have a chance to do both.  Not sure how many people were planning on doing such, but it's an intriguing idea.  That said, because of our (my wife and I) schedules next summer, any such meet that I would run is limited to July weekends (excluding 7/1) and possibly the first weekend of August.

A.J. Bertin

I still need to talk to my significant other about this and see how he feels about me being gone for two weeks. I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but he's talking about the possibility of going to Europe with a friend of ours. Ideally, his trip to Europe would coincide (at least somewhat) with me going to Alaska.

I also remembered that my 20-year high school reunion is scheduled for July 15, 2017. I kinda want to go to that, but if forced to choose between an Alaska trip and the reunion, I'd choose Alaska.

I hope to cast a vote soon for a date for this meet.
-A.J. from Michigan

SSOWorld

Quote from: froggie on October 13, 2016, 08:07:45 AM
There was talk in another thread of tying this into the Twin Cities meet I've been working on, so that those driving cross-country would have a chance to do both.  Not sure how many people were planning on doing such, but it's an intriguing idea.  That said, because of our (my wife and I) schedules next summer, any such meet that I would run is limited to July weekends (excluding 7/1) and possibly the first weekend of August.
Honestly now I'm torn between two meets.  Maybe layover in Minneapolis before flying up? ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Duke87

Mentally subtract one vote from the 6/18-24, 6/25-7/1, and 7/2-8 choices. I probably won't be able to do those weeks but the poll does not allow me to remove votes.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on October 20, 2016, 12:54:58 AM
Mentally subtract one vote from the 6/18-24, 6/25-7/1, and 7/2-8 choices. I probably won't be able to do those weeks but the poll does not allow me to remove votes.
That's odd. There used to be the ability to allow users to change their votes, but it sure wasn't available for this. Must be a change in SMF for the worse. Anyway, I am leaning toward a bit later in July, actually the 7/9-15 week.

SSOWorld

Still there, not open to standard users and non-mods for the board. Want the change option on?

EDIT: Inadvertant lock.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 20, 2016, 09:14:51 PM
Still there, not open to standard users and non-mods for the board. Want the change option on?

EDIT: Inadvertant lock.
I always like the change option. Why can't it be open to all?

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2016, 06:31:37 PM
Anyway, I am leaning toward a bit later in July, actually the 7/9-15 week.

Alyssa and I 100% cannot possibly make it that week. But if that works best for the most people don't move things around for our sake, we can always plot our own trip.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on October 21, 2016, 08:55:02 PM

Alyssa and I 100% cannot possibly make it that week. But if that works best for the most people don't move things around for our sake, we can always plot our own trip.
How about 6/11-17? That one also has decent support.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Alps on October 24, 2016, 09:48:17 PM

My partner's birthday is 6/11, so if the meet takes place during that time, it's quite possible I wouldn't be able to go. (My preference would be a bit later in June.) But you can't make your decision based on one person's conflict, so just do what you feel is best given the majority vote.
-A.J. from Michigan

Duke87

50/50. Won't know for sure until dates for all the leadup events for my sister's wedding (rehearsal dinner, etc.) are determined.

cpzilliacus

Is anyone else considering a drive from one of the states in the East to Alaska?

I am (not in the truck, but in my newer and less-worn Honda Pilot), but have not decided yet.

Is a Pilot with AWD tough enough for the Dalton Highway?  I will likely have a set of heavier Michelin tires on it before heading out. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vdeane

That's how I would get out to Alaska.  My plan would be a carpool (or RV pool) with AJ and Brandon, as it's not affordable for me to do the whole trip solo at this time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

corco

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 26, 2016, 01:29:25 PM
Is anyone else considering a drive from one of the states in the East to Alaska?

I am (not in the truck, but in my newer and less-worn Honda Pilot), but have not decided yet.

Is a Pilot with AWD tough enough for the Dalton Highway?  I will likely have a set of heavier Michelin tires on it before heading out. 

I would expect so- at least one rental agency up there is renting ruggedized (read: all season tires, two spares, and a block heater) current-generation Ford Escapes for the trek (at av minimum price of about $700!), which would be just as competent as a properly-tired Pilot. I'd make sure to have at least one, maybe two full sized spares.

Since I have a relatively short drive up, I'll be bringing up a vehicle with two full sized spares, a tow strap, basic tools/adhesives/fluids, and transporting 10-15 gallons of extra fuel on a roof rack - I'm not sure that we'd need two vehicles equipped with that much redundancy (though it can't hurt if somebody can do that inexpensively)- in a worst-case scenario emergency, the surviving vehicle could turn back to get help.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: corco on October 26, 2016, 05:10:55 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 26, 2016, 01:29:25 PM

I would expect so- at least one rental agency up there is renting ruggedized (read: all season tires, two spares, and a block heater) current-generation Ford Escapes for the trek (at av minimum price of about $700!), which would be just as competent as a properly-tired Pilot. I'd make sure to have at least one, maybe two full sized spares.

Since I have a relatively short drive up, I'll be bringing up a vehicle with two full sized spares, a tow strap, basic tools/adhesives/fluids, and transporting 10-15 gallons of extra fuel on a roof rack - I'm not sure that we'd need two vehicles equipped with that much redundancy (though it can't hurt if somebody can do that inexpensively)- in a worst-case scenario emergency, the surviving vehicle could turn back to get help.

The Pilot starts happily in the coldest winter weather we get here in my part of the East (extreme winter cold for us is about 0°F or -18°C), so I doubt it would need a block heater in it for summer use in Alaska, even on the North Slope. Two all-season spares might be a challenge (one advantage that my truck has is 16" wheels with a full-size spare and easy room for a second in the bed, but I am not sure I want to drive it that far with 420,000 miles on the meter).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

oscar

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 26, 2016, 05:44:50 PM
The Pilot starts happily in the coldest winter weather we get here in my part of the East (extreme winter cold for us is about 0°F or -18°C), so I doubt it would need a block heater in it for summer use in Alaska, even on the North Slope. Two all-season spares might be a challenge (one advantage that my truck has is 16" wheels with a full-size spare and easy room for a second in the bed, but I am not sure I want to drive it that far with 420,000 miles on the meter).

I would assume the block heater is for non-summer rentals.

If the Pilot has light-truck rated tires, they should be sufficient. I don't know how rugged its suspension is. But unless rainfall turns the Dalton into hundreds of miles of potholes, the Dalton won't require as beefy a suspension as do some other bad roads of the Arctic. If as corco suggests Ford Escapes are used for some Dalton Highway rentals, that's reassuring, unless the rental agency felt the need for a more-rugged-than-stock suspension.

AWD is nice but not necessary, unless you get stuck on a soft shoulder. The pickup I drove on the Dalton, and worse, had 4x4. I didn't even turn on the 4wd anywhere in Alaska.

Quote from: corco on October 26, 2016, 05:10:55 PM

A lot of "just in case" supplies can be shared by multiple vehicles in a group, especially if everyone has a CB or other radio to communicate within the group. The big exception is mounted spare tires, which have to be matched to a specific vehicle model and perhaps year.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

Looking for final votes to come in. Week of 7/9-7/15 has the most support (after mentally subtracting Anthony's votes for the three prior weeks), and that's what I've been leaning towards anyway. Going once, going twice.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Duke87 on October 21, 2016, 08:55:02 PM

Work-wise, June is nearly always bad for me.  July is much  better.

vdeane

Yeah, July probably works better for me too.  We're generally finished with the annual pavement survey by then.  Also gives me more time to buy out my car lease.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Much agreed about July, the later the better.  Our busy time is late May through mid July for removing asbestos in schools.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.