News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Oklahoma City Metro Highways | Small projects and construction

Started by Plutonic Panda, July 14, 2016, 08:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: roadguy2 on April 11, 2018, 11:15:47 PM
Also, I think bicycles should stay off the main arterials as much as possible, and ride on the side streets instead (unless there is no other alternative). When there are bicycles on the major arterials, drivers constantly worry about avoiding the bicyclist, and bicyclists worry about getting hit by a car. Riding on the side streets (and putting in bike lanes on these streets) would create a safer environment overall for both driver and bicyclist.

This is a good concept to follow when the city follows something reasonably close to a grid. An excellent example is Springfield, Missouri, which has a lot of minor arterials that parallel the more major ones on either side. Running a bike lane down Glenstone would be silly, because running one down Fremont would serve the same function while keeping the bikes away from traffic.

Unfortunately, some cities, like Norman, have all their arterials on a mile grid, with the assumption you will follow the arterial until you reach the square mile in question, and then turn off and find your destination somewhere in the interior of the square. As a result, there is often no real way to traverse between square miles without following the arterials on their edges. There are very few minor arterials that penetrate the centers of the squares, only minor collectors that rarely line up from square to square.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

Quote from: roadguy2 on April 11, 2018, 11:59:33 PM
I'm curious how removing a lane can increase capacity.

Depending on how you measure capacity, replacing a seldom-used two-way left turn lane with a bus or bike lane could theoretically increase capacity, although you run the risk of realizing a false "gain" by dirty accounting tricks if you're not careful.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: roadguy2 on April 11, 2018, 11:15:47 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 11, 2018, 10:20:07 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 11, 2018, 09:51:46 PM
I dunno, I think the extra ten feet or whatever of ROW that bike lanes take up is money well spent. Hoping we get some expansion of the current network here in Norman (the city seems interested in expanding its bike facilities, so it's a good possibility).
That is a lot of ROW taken up. That could be a car lane and instead goes to bike lanes that are almost always empty. If they want to to just slap some paint on each side of a road that doesn't have any lane reduction, then I'll support that. You sure won't see me using them much though.

I have no problem with bike lanes when they're just an extra few feet of ROW that can be added to the side of the road, especially when it was just going to be a 2-lane road anyway. My problem is when they decide to put in a bike lane but don't change the initial ROW of what would have been a multi-lane road, since that requires the removal of a car lane and decreases capacity.

Also, I think bicycles should stay off the main arterials as much as possible, and ride on the side streets instead (unless there is no other alternative). When there are bicycles on the major arterials, drivers constantly worry about avoiding the bicyclist, and bicyclists worry about getting hit by a car. Riding on the side streets (and putting in bike lanes on these streets) would create a safer environment overall for both driver and bicyclist.
Yeah this pretty much sums up how I feel as well.

Plutonic Panda

Yeah we don't need to be counting bike lanes as actual lanes. That is absurd. If a street has two car lanes and two bike lanes, it is a two lane street. Most people drive, so calling it a four lane street is misleading.

Plutonic Panda

So far in the press release things are looking good for OkDOTs statewide 8yr plan with new projects being added.

One of those is I-35 expanded through the Kilpatrick Turnpike with a NB and SB lane added which will be very welcome. It is a bottleneck and these new lanes will help immensely. Don't know when it will start, but it's not too big of a project so maybe it could be sooner than later.

PS, I still wish that whole interchange would be reconfigured to remove those ridiculous curves and awful left exits and ramp entries. Unfortunately it would be hard to justify that as the interchange still has quite a bit of life left.

https://ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=44777

Plutonic Panda

Are messed up bridges on Kilpatrick in West OKC being rebuilt and widened? A poster from another forum site noticed a sign that said construction is beginning soon and dug up this link: https://pikepass.com/pdf/jkt-2344_final%20bid%20plans_2018-08-28%20with%20disclaimer_281_20180829083037.pdf

It will be a bridge rehabilitation and widening for $55M. Just curious if anyone knows as this is a pretty exciting prospect. A widening would be great but just getting these damn bridges fixed would be a godsend!

Bobby5280

I wonder if the project has anything to do with the South extension of the Kilpatrick over to Airport Road. The current South end of the turnpike, just past I-40 has to be re-done to curve around the housing complex that was built directly in the path.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 23, 2018, 11:08:36 PM
I wonder if the project has anything to do with the South extension of the Kilpatrick over to Airport Road. The current South end of the turnpike, just past I-40 has to be re-done to curve around the housing complex that was built directly in the path.
Whelp, I can't message them anymore, on Facebook at least, to ask because I was blocked after asking them about the project.

rte66man

No, this is the area where the bridges are hump-backed north of OK66
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 24, 2018, 02:54:07 PM
Whelp, I can't message them anymore, on Facebook at least, to ask because I was blocked after asking them about the project.

What did you say...?

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 25, 2018, 02:24:23 AM

What did you say...?
I just asked if the work listed was in fact a project to replace the bridges and add lanes. They didn't respond so I tried sending a question mark to get their attention because I saw the little picture icon that showed "˜read.' It said this person wasn't available right now and sure enough I went to check their page to see if they blocked me and they did. I used no profanity nor was I rude.

Every time I have tried to get info about projects I've had to message them a couple or more times to actually get a response. From my experience, they are a bad organization and not very transparent. I guess I just got annoying? Whatever.

Scott5114

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 25, 2018, 04:51:43 AM

What did you say...?
I just asked if the work listed was in fact a project to replace the bridges and add lanes. They didn't respond so I tried sending a question mark to get their attention because I saw the little picture icon that showed "˜read.' It said this person wasn't available right now and sure enough I went to check their page to see if they blocked me and they did. I used no profanity nor was I rude.

Every time I have tried to get info about projects I've had to message them a couple or more times to actually get a response. From my experience, they are a bad organization and not very transparent. I guess I just got annoying? Whatever.

I sent them an email when a truck took out the first reassurance shield on SB SH-74 (S) in 2006.

Guess which highway still doesn't start with a reassurance shield?

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 25, 2018, 05:10:07 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 25, 2018, 04:51:43 AM

What did you say...?

I sent them an email when a truck took out the first reassurance shield on SB SH-74 (S) in 2006.

Guess which highway still doesn't start with a reassurance shield?
This would imply that it's me and not the agency, but OkDOT has blocked me as well. No profanity(I mean I've included some profanity once or twice but it wasn't directed at them) or rudeness, just questions and ideas from public comment periods or the occasional inquiry, then one day I'm blocked from all platforms and no response from my emails.

Again, one could gather that perhaps it's me and not them, but consider the fact I also regularly communicate with NDOT, UDOT, CalTrans, TxDOT, NMDOT, The Toll Roads, Metro, DART, Embark, City of Edmond, City of OKC, and many other agencies; I have no issue. A couple of them take some time in their response(particularly Metro whenever I inquire about the High Desert Corridor which is interesting), but over the years having communicated with them in the same manner as I would with OkDOT, and I have no problem. It's almost like the State of Oklahoma just doesn't like criticism, which I am not short of.

Oh well, I'm out of points with OkDOT and OTA, and I won't pursue it for now. It's really bizarre with OkDOT because I used to have a good relationship with them getting quick responses. What can you do?

Compared to the OTA, I've always received quick and engaging responses from NTTA and The Toll Roads. Usually I receive a wealth of information even though most is usually provided on their websites, I don't get a snarky/downright rude response like I am annoying for asking questions or proposing improvements. OTA seems to have a transparency issue and it'd be nice to see some reforms in the agency.

Plutonic Panda

Waterloo and SH-74 will receive various improvements including a traffic signal.

QuoteThe Oklahoma Department of Transportation and Oklahoma and Logan counties are working together to make SH-74 and Waterloo Road safer for motorists by moving up a traffic signal several years sooner than previously expected.

However, it will take an estimated 18 months before the new signal is completed, making it more important than ever that motorists obey existing traffic signs and use caution in the area. This includes being vigilant about the existing traffic patterns, which includes:

Northbound and southbound SH-74 traffic does not stop at the intersection; and
Eastbound and westbound Waterloo Rd. traffic must stop and yield to oncoming highway traffic.
ODOT is expediting this estimated up to $500,000 project in its Eight-Year Construction Work Plan thanks to some recent projects coming in under the engineering estimate. Additionally, Oklahoma County District 3 Commissioner Ray Vaughn and Logan County District 1 Commissioner Marven Goodman have renewed their commitment to share operation and maintenance of the proposed four-way traffic signal at the intersection, which will result in a four-way stop for motorists by 2020.

- https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=46557

Sonic99

Pardon the question since I'm not from the area, but from Google Maps, there's already the poles all in place. Why is it going to take until 2020 to swap them over to actual signals? Seems like it would be pretty straight forward to get them converted?

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 29, 2018, 05:32:38 PM
Waterloo and SH-74 will receive various improvements including a traffic signal.

QuoteThe Oklahoma Department of Transportation and Oklahoma and Logan counties are working together to make SH-74 and Waterloo Road safer for motorists by moving up a traffic signal several years sooner than previously expected.

However, it will take an estimated 18 months before the new signal is completed, making it more important than ever that motorists obey existing traffic signs and use caution in the area. This includes being vigilant about the existing traffic patterns, which includes:

Northbound and southbound SH-74 traffic does not stop at the intersection; and
Eastbound and westbound Waterloo Rd. traffic must stop and yield to oncoming highway traffic.
ODOT is expediting this estimated up to $500,000 project in its Eight-Year Construction Work Plan thanks to some recent projects coming in under the engineering estimate. Additionally, Oklahoma County District 3 Commissioner Ray Vaughn and Logan County District 1 Commissioner Marven Goodman have renewed their commitment to share operation and maintenance of the proposed four-way traffic signal at the intersection, which will result in a four-way stop for motorists by 2020.

- https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=46557
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Scott5114

OkDOT posted a new overhead on SB I-35 just upstream of the Main Street exit in Norman. "I-35/US-77 Left 3 Lanes".

This is not, nor has it ever been, US-77...........

JMoses24

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 01, 2018, 08:03:29 AM
OkDOT posted a new overhead on SB I-35 just upstream of the Main Street exit in Norman. "I-35/US-77 Left 3 Lanes".

This is not, nor has it ever been, US-77...........

Someone done messed up, because 77 of course has been off I-35 for roughly 4 miles by that point. That sign should have been posted in south OKC instead, say, upstream of I-240.

rte66man

After numerous delays, the contract to resurface Northwest Expressway from just east of the junction with the Kilpatrick east to the Hefner Parkway was on the final April 2019 Bid Opening list. About time.

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

Long overdue. But boy is that construction project going to be painful. Traffic on NW Expressway out there can get pretty ridiculous.

Plutonic Panda

I'm surprised they haven't widened NW express to six lanes through the Kilpatrick interchange. I cloverleaf or ParClove interchange should be considered for Kilpatrick interchange as well.

Plutonic Panda

I-35 will be expanded to six lanes between I-40 and I-44. I prefer alt 4 though I'm not crazy about the two frontage roads those can easily be converted. I like the expanded footprint which allows for a future expansion when needed.

All of the materials can be found here: https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and_Projects/Public_Meetings_and_Hearings/20200218.html

Bobby5280

That's an overdue upgrade. It's a shame they can't make it 4 lanes in each direction the entire way from I-40 up to the I-44 interchange. That cramped stretch from NE 15th to NE 23rd is the bottleneck.

Removing the frontage roads would create additional space for more freeway main lanes (and shoulders). But it would come at the cost of creating a lot of long, dead-end streets in the Edwards Community neighborhood.

rte66man

I am really disappointed in the alternatives. Alt 4 is the worst. It has ramps exiting to frontage roads with poor sight lines just as you have on I35 north of I44.  Traffic can and will back up onto the main lanes.  They also blew the chance to use the TX method where you exit for the next street before the on ramp from the previous street. Alt 4 also appears to remove the rail line south from the Railway Museum. DO they really need that much ROW?  That's a LOT of house removal.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

^^^^ haven't you been on record here complaining OkDOT doesn't plan ahead enough!? This ROW gives ample room for widening in the future. The two way frontage roads can easily be converted in the future.

Highly unlikely Alt. 4 is chosen unfortunately. What alternative would you have proposed? Six lanes seems good enough for now. Frontage roads will extended and reworked. Alt 2 has them one way. What do you want?

Plutonic Panda

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.