News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

Started by texaskdog, January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: thspfc on January 31, 2024, 09:09:57 AM
Quote from: SP Cook on January 31, 2024, 09:05:40 AM
The NFL owners are greedy old men.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  This is why they play games in Europe, and next year, South America, so they can be shown in US mornings.  This is why they play game on Thursday, Monday, holidays, etc.

They have maxed out the people that what to watch football.  So they did a study.  Who doesn't watch a lot of football?  White women between 15-35.  So suddenly there is this "romance" between a pop singer and some player, both of which managed to make it into their 30s without marrying anyone.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  From this start we now get shots of various other girlfriends, some I'm sure real, of different players. 

And it worked, at least to my perception.  In my little group the women have put down their phones and are watching the games.

And it is all faker than wrestling.
You say this like it's some far-flung conspiracy theory. It's incredibly obvious that the league is using this relationship to print money. And I don't understand why that's a problem.

If you're suggesting that the relationship itself is fake, no it's not. Taylor is too big a celebrity for them to be able to pull that off.

It's kind of a gift to the NFL; they saw a younger generation less interested in football and maybe her presence just moves the needle a little bit more.

If there's any shred of a conspiracy, it's that Patrick Mahomes appears in seemingly every other advertisement during NFL games...but until there's five truly bad calls in a game against KC's opponents, it's honestly not worth a second thought.

roadman65

An afternoon drive time DJ said, in his opinion, it might be a good thing as it may attract the younger crowd into the game, especially women..
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

I'm against the NFL becoming more popular. There are many other sports out there, and one sport shouldn't dominate. And of the five major team sports in the US (soccer being the fifth), football seems to be the only one not played by women, so having women gravitate toward football may be counterproductive. There's the WNBA, the very new (less than a month old) PWHL, women's soccer at both the domestic and international level, and softball is a close variant of baseball. (Make that 1 out of 7 if you include tennis and golf, which are individual rather than team sports.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 31, 2024, 01:33:43 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 31, 2024, 01:02:03 PM
The NFL owners are greedy old men.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I'm not sure that's true.

I'm not sure that's true.

My own theory is the NFL fan base has some animosity toward Swift because she is a prominent outsider to that fan base.

It's not the entire NFL fan base.

That is true.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: SectorZ on January 31, 2024, 03:31:12 PM
I think the Venn diagram of people who are sick of Taylor and people who hate the Superbowl halftime is just one circle.

Each is going after the lowest common denominator of musical taste.

I just want a halftime show that doesn't:

(1)  make me feel like I need to scrub my eyes with soap afterward because of all the sex-charged outfits and dancing

(2)  feature an artist who really should be on oxygen because they're over 85 and their musical prime was during my parents' youth
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on January 31, 2024, 04:08:39 PM
I think the Venn diagram of people who are sick of Taylor and people who hate the Superbowl halftime is just one circle.

(1)  make me feel like I need to scrub my eyes with soap afterward because of all the sex-charged outfits and dancing

(2)  feature an artist who really should be on oxygen because they're over 85 and their musical prime was during my parents' youth

Sounds like you'd enjoy a halftime show by "Weird Al"
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on January 31, 2024, 04:08:39 PM

I'm sure for number two, Phil Collins is out  :bigass:

Anyway McCartney wasn't bad when he performed Jacksonville in the mid aughts.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 31, 2024, 04:14:00 PM

That would be the BEST!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

The NFL owners are greedy old men.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  This is why they play games in Europe, and next year, South America, so they can be shown in US mornings.  This is why they play game on Thursday, Monday, holidays, etc.

They have maxed out the people that what to watch football.  So they did a study.  Who doesn't watch a lot of football?  White women between 15-35.  So suddenly there is this "romance" between a pop singer and some player, both of which managed to make it into their 30s without marrying anyone.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  From this start we now get shots of various other girlfriends, some I'm sure real, of different players. 

And it worked, at least to my perception.  In my little group the women have put down their phones and are watching the games.

As opposed to what else?  Extended shots of coaches pacing the sideline and comically trying to cover their mouths while shouting into a headset?  Extended shots of players on the sideline?   Shots of Jerry Jones and other owners in their luxury suites?  When the Colts (Peyton Manning) played the Giants (Eli Manning), it seemed after at least every third play there was a shot of Archie Manning up in the stands.  When Matthew Stafford was with the Lions I saw lots of shots of his wife in a suite.  We've already had all this viewing distraction for years.  There's nothing new here, folks, just move along.  I really don't understand why shots of Taylor Swift specifically are so much of a concern.  It's just a random issue-of-the-moment from social media shits who have to stroke themselves by putting something out there for their "followers."  The same ones who, for example, of all the retail symbols out there, lose their shit over a holiday coffee cup design.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on January 31, 2024, 04:23:56 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 31, 2024, 04:14:00 PM

That would be the BEST!

Even Worse! would also be accepted.

Big John

tmoore952

I remember reading somewhere (probably in this thread, or maybe the NFL thread) about annoyance with Greg Olsen on Fox.

I know this is general knowledge, but I was reminded last night that Tom Brady will be the lead Fox color analyst next year.
So Greg Olsen presumably won't be heard on the Fox featured game of the week at least. I'm sure he'll still be on the best game in the early time slot.

vegas1962

JayhawkCO

Quote from: bing101 on February 05, 2024, 12:18:50 AM
Quote from: formulanone on January 30, 2024, 06:37:08 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 30, 2024, 04:36:02 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 29, 2024, 11:14:03 PM
One of the comedy NFL accounts I follow:

"Kind of happy the super bowl will be ruined for millions of the most annoying guy you know who turns into a gremlin when they show Taylor for 2 seconds in the booth."
[snip]

Ah yes, those annoyed at seeing Taylor Swift for a sum total of 15 seconds during a game, but are totally okay with an over-bloated 30 minute halftime show.

For over a decade I watched Tom Brady play for the Patriots while married to Gisele Bündchen, and I can count on ten fingers how many times she was shown on TV, and she was around for over a decade.
https://apnews.com/article/2024-grammy-awards-show-75f0eda337c9289f846f9a047d191703

Taylor Swift wins album of the year at the Grammy Awards for the fourth time, setting a new record
Here is an update Taylor Swift won the Grammy Awards and yes it's her Super Bowl.

a) Does this annoy you?
b) Does this have anything to do with sports?

dvferyance

That Seattle still doesn't have an NBA team.

tchafe1978

That everytime any given team loses, a certain subset of fans will call for the coach to be fired. This could be any team, any sport. A team loses one game, and Facobook is flooded with comments from "fans" wanting the coach fired, for losing ONE game, in what has otherwise been a successful season. It's gotten so bad I've started to ignore some fan groups I'm in and not even read comments under any article or posting about some of my favorite teams. Makes it hard to enjoy following the team.

roadman65

How about in Baseball when they go from first to whatever? Frank Cashen firing Davy Johnson, who was one of the best managers for the NY Mets, terminated Johnson's contract when the Mets dropped out of first place in the NLE.

Then George Steinbrenner, who constantly fired Yankee managers, because his mood changed and is famous for firing the most team managers in MLB history.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.