News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2023 College Football Season

Started by NWI_Irish96, August 09, 2022, 07:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Discussion in the NFL thread about TB's Sunday game likely getting moved got me wondering about college football.

Games that, to varying degrees, could be impacted Saturday:

Eastern Washington at Florida (Gainesville)
Wake Forest at Florida State (Tallahassee) [officially acknowledged that alternative plans are in place but no announcement on where that is or when a decision will be made]
SMU at Central Florida (Orlando)
East Carolina at South Florida (Tampa) [unconfirmed reports that the game has been moved to FAU at Boca Raton]
North Carolina State at Clemson

South Carolina State at South Carolina (Columbia) has already been moved from Saturday to Thursday
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NWI_Irish96

Updates:

ECU at USF move to Boca Raton confirmed
EWU at UF moved to Sunday noon

JayhawkCO

I really hope KU and TCU both win this weekend so that GameDay will come to Lawrence for the first time ever the following week.

hbelkins

Does anyone actually believe that UK is the eighth-best college football team?

Me neither.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2022, 01:03:30 PM

Me neither.

ESPN FPI has them 30th. Massey's composite of dozens of computer rankings has them 12th. I don't think they're the 8th best but they're pretty good. They have a coach who's gotten them about as far as a basketball school in the SEC is ever going to get.

hbelkins

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 28, 2022, 01:06:03 PM

Me neither.

ESPN FPI has them 30th. Massey's composite of dozens of computer rankings has them 12th. I don't think they're the 8th best but they're pretty good. They have a coach who's gotten them about as far as a basketball school in the SEC is ever going to get.

There was a pretty public brouhaha recently when Calipari proclaimed UK (which got bounced out of the tournament in the first game last year and in the year before that, had the worst record in modern history) a basketball school. The football coaching staff, including Vince Marrow and Stoops, didn't take too kindly to that.

thspfc

Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2022, 08:42:56 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 28, 2022, 01:06:03 PM

Me neither.

There was a pretty public brouhaha recently when Calipari proclaimed UK (which got bounced out of the tournament in the first game last year and in the year before that, had the worst record in modern history) a basketball school. The football coaching staff, including Vince Marrow and Stoops, didn't take too kindly to that.
Kentucky football has 3 bowl wins, two of which were against ranked teams, since Kentucky basketball's last NCAA tournament win.

Billy F 1988

Montana QB Lucas Johnson left the Idaho State game a few minutes ago leaving 2nd stringer Kris Brown to task of keeping the Griz win streak alive. The Griz were strong in the first half, but I am suspicious about their second half. They kind of flopped it in the fourth letting the Idaho State Bengals catch up to within 8 with under a minute left in the game. The Griz can ill afford to lose Lucas Johnson. They have the home game next week as part 2 of the "Potato Series" I dubbed last week. If they put Kris Brown at center for that game, which is probably the likely scenario, that's gonna be a tough one. They almost let that game get away on them with about 7:00 minutes left, but hang on the #1 and get the W for five straight games.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

thspfc

Yet another disappointment for UW. 4th wasted season in 5 years. To me last year's loss at Minnesota should have been the nail in Chryst's coffin. I felt like the only one calling for his job . . . not anymore. This team is playing 1960 football in 2022 and it's not working. I'm fine with a team that is built around a physical defense and productive run game, but it's unbelievable that the passing attack has been this bad for so long, and this team is going nowhere until that is fixed. We've all seen enough to know that Chryst is not the guy to fix it.

gonealookin

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 27, 2022, 01:19:07 PM
I really hope KU and TCU both win this weekend so that GameDay will come to Lawrence for the first time ever the following week.

Well that was/is bizarre.

https://twitter.com/CollegeGameDay/status/1576398205381931009

Big John

Quote from: thspfc on October 01, 2022, 10:44:14 PM
Yet another disappointment for UW. 4th wasted season in 5 years. To me last year's loss at Minnesota should have been the nail in Chryst's coffin. I felt like the only one calling for his job . . . not anymore. This team is playing 1960 football in 2022 and it's not working. I'm fine with a team that is built around a physical defense and productive run game, but it's unbelievable that the passing attack has been this bad for so long, and this team is going nowhere until that is fixed. We've all seen enough to know that Chryst is not the guy to fix it.
Had a Don Morton flashback yesterday. X-(

kurumi

UConn was and still is not a good team, even if all starters were healthy. They're in most "bottom 10" lists this season.

But yesterday a 19-14 victory over Fresno State (first over a 1-A errrr FBS opponent since 2019) was a little spark of happiness.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

tchafe1978

Quote from: Big John on October 02, 2022, 02:52:58 AM
Quote from: thspfc on October 01, 2022, 10:44:14 PM
Had a Don Morton flashback yesterday. X-(

I'm a long time Badgers fan, and I'm not usually a "fire the coach" guy after one or two bad games, but it may be time to move on from Chryst. The game has passed him by. Even bringing in a new offensive coordinator has done nothing to improve the offense. Chryst was the offensive coordinator during the Bert Bielema years, and they had some of the highest scoring offenses in school history. I'm not sure how this is even the same coach.

Big John

thspfc

Dang, if this wasn't one of my more accurate takes. I felt like the only one on the "fire Chryst"  bandwagon.

Quote from: thspfc on November 27, 2021, 10:47:58 PM
I don't understand the notion that Paul Chryst can have the Wisconsin job as long as he wants to no matter what. He inherited a program that typically finished with 2-4 losses each season, and he is averaging 3.3 losses per season, including half-length 2020. With the amount of talent that Wisconsin has relative to the other teams in the west - significantly more than everyone except for Iowa and occasionally Minnesota - I would not be surprised if Chryst's seat warms up a little by this time next year.

tchafe1978

Quote from: Big John on October 02, 2022, 08:48:09 PM
Chryst fired, Leonhard named interim coach: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/paul-chryst-has-been-fired-as-wisconsin-badgers-head-football-coach/ar-AA12vM2p

I was suprised they fired him now. I thought they would wait until the end of the season to make a decision. I guess now at least they get to see what Leonhard can do as head coach and/or get a jump on finding a replacement. I just hope the coaching change doesn't set the program back even further if the next head coach doesn't work out.

mgk920

Quote from: tchafe1978 on October 02, 2022, 09:01:52 PM
Chryst fired, Leonhard named interim coach: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/paul-chryst-has-been-fired-as-wisconsin-badgers-head-football-coach/ar-AA12vM2p

I was suprised they fired him now. I thought they would wait until the end of the season to make a decision. I guess now at least they get to see what Leonhard can do as head coach and/or get a jump on finding a replacement. I just hope the coaching change doesn't set the program back even further if the next head coach doesn't work out.

The UW Athletic Department didn't want the Badgers' recent on-the-field performance to become an issue in the upcoming governor election?

:hmmm:

Mike

tchafe1978

Quote from: mgk920 on October 02, 2022, 10:14:16 PM

The UW Athletic Department didn't want the Badgers' recent on-the-field performance to become an issue in the upcoming governor election?

Mike

How are those two things even remotely related?

KCRoadFan

Quote from: tchafe1978 on October 02, 2022, 10:39:55 PM

Mike

Because football is such a big deal in Wisconsin?

hbelkins

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 02, 2022, 11:46:33 PM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on October 02, 2022, 10:39:55 PM

Mike

Because football is such a big deal in Wisconsin?

Years have faded the details in my memory, but at one point the UK football coaching situation was waded into by a Kentucky governor.

Speaking of UK, the Wildcats really got exposed at Ole Miss Saturday. As I noted in the Dish/Disney dispute thread, I missed the game due to running errands away from home Saturday, but I listened to bits and pieces on the radio. I didn't even bother to watch the recording of the game; I deleted it unwatched. I don't think UK will finish any better than 9-3 now. I anticipate losses to Tennessee and Georgia.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: gonealookin on October 02, 2022, 01:07:04 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 27, 2022, 01:19:07 PM

Well that was/is bizarre.

https://twitter.com/CollegeGameDay/status/1576398205381931009

Toughest game of the year so far, but I think we can barely pull it off.

triplemultiplex

Happy for Jim Leonhard; he's from my neck of the woods.  I went to school with some of his cousins.
Heck, my brother called this like five years ago.  "Jimmy's gonna be head coach one day."  That day is here.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Big John

mgk920

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.