News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

DFW Projects Thread

Started by austrini, July 06, 2009, 04:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Dallas drivers don't seem to understand that the flashing orange lights on cars are meant to indicate that person's intentions to change lanes. I actually thought my cars' blinkers were broken at first.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kernals12 on May 09, 2022, 11:49:40 PM
Dallas drivers don't seem to understand that the flashing orange lights on cars are meant to indicate that person's intentions to change lanes. I actually thought my cars' blinkers were broken at first.
Just because you activate your turn indicators does not mean people are obligated to give you space to merge. Some just do out of common courtesy. Don't you live in Boston? Are drivers more courteous in Boston?

kernals12

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 10, 2022, 12:38:31 AM
Just because you activate your turn indicators does not mean people are obligated to give you space to merge. Some just do out of common courtesy. Don't you live in Boston? Are drivers more courteous in Boston?

Yes they are. I've never had a problem with drivers in Boston not giving me space to get into the exit lane.

wtd67

Quote from: kernals12 on May 10, 2022, 09:43:09 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 10, 2022, 12:38:31 AM

Yes they are. I've never had a problem with drivers in Boston not giving me space to get into the exit lane.

There are two ways of using the blinker in traffic; to ask for permission to change lanes or tell them you are changing lanes.  You asked for permission and they said no.  Next time use your blinker and go, that is telling them you are coming over.

kernals12

Okay, I chickened out of going to US 380 public meeting in Frisco. My rental car has an Illinois plate and I'm a grown man traveling alone, which is not a good look if you're around a school building

kphoger

Quote from: kernals12 on May 10, 2022, 07:35:40 PM
Okay, I chickened out of going to US 380 public meeting in Frisco. My rental car has an Illinois plate and I'm a grown man traveling alone, which is not a good look if you're around a school building

wut
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on May 10, 2022, 07:35:40 PM
So...you're a registered sex offender.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kernals12

Upcoming public meeting for improvements to US 287 between I-35W and Avondale Haslett Road.
https://www.fortworthtexas.gov/news/2022/5/txdot-avondale-haslet
This seems to just be TxDOT's standard highway improvement package:
A new general purpose lane in each direction and continuous 1 way frontage roads

Bobby5280

I'm glad they're proposing to re-build the main lanes and expand them from 2 to 3 lanes in both directions. The existing US-287 main lanes on past the I-35W split are looking pretty bad. Hopefully while they're working on this project between I-35W and Avondale-Haslet Road TX DOT will get the plans together for upgrading the rest of that segment up to the TX-114 split at Rhome. Then the Rhome-Decatur segment will be able to gain focus.

rte66man

I hope the removal of the driveways is included in this improvement.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

I'm pretty sure driveway removal is included. The missing segments of frontage roads are supposed to be fully completed which will effectively remove the driveway access to the US-287 main lanes. TX DOT really needs to get the frontage roads 100% fully built out between the I-35W split and the TX-114 split at Rhome. That upgrade work should have been done over 20 years ago. I don't understand the foot-dragging on it.

austrini

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 29, 2022, 11:04:39 AM
I'm pretty sure driveway removal is included. The missing segments of frontage roads are supposed to be fully completed which will effectively remove the driveway access to the US-287 main lanes. TX DOT really needs to get the frontage roads 100% fully built out between the I-35W split and the TX-114 split at Rhome. That upgrade work should have been done over 20 years ago. I don't understand the foot-dragging on it.

I was at a meeting at NCTCOG about it in like 2015 (I think? maybe earlier) and it wasn't a big deal, there was no reason to remove the driveways. The road wasn't more or less dangerous or busy because of them at the time. The city wanted frontage roads to spur SFR and eventually started approving subdivisions with cut-ins to US 287 and forced TxDot to bump it up on the priority list.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

longhorn

What is the time frame for the I-35 to hwy 67 construction to be done?

longhorn

Bobby5280

Most of the Dallas North Tollway traffic in that area goes to/from locations within the downtown district. The SB main lanes merge into Harry Hines Blvd. The SB exit ramp that eventually leads to SB I-35E is forced to bypass multiple conflict points. The SB I-35E exit ramps for the Woodall Rodgers Freeway and Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge block any direct merge at the end of the SB DNT onto I-35E. The SB DNT ramp for SB-I-35E is forced onto the frontage road for a short distance before meeting a slip ramp onto I-35E. The ramp is not well signed though. If you're not paying attention you'll drive right past that on-ramp and end up having to sit through the traffic signal at Continental Avenue. Then you get to drive farther South on the access road to get another chance at getting on I-35E. But try not to wind up on I-30! The ramps are tricky!

longhorn

Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 24, 2022, 12:50:06 PM
Most of the Dallas North Tollway traffic in that area goes to/from locations within the downtown district. The SB main lanes merge into Harry Hines Blvd. The SB exit ramp that eventually leads to SB I-35E is forced to bypass multiple conflict points. The SB I-35E exit ramps for the Woodall Rodgers Freeway and Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge block any direct merge at the end of the SB DNT onto I-35E. The SB DNT ramp for SB-I-35E is forced onto the frontage road for a short distance before meeting a slip ramp onto I-35E. The ramp is not well signed though. If you're not paying attention you'll drive right past that on-ramp and end up having to sit through the traffic signal at Continental Avenue. Then you get to drive farther South on the access road to get another chance at getting on I-35E. But try not to wind up on I-30! The ramps are tricky!

Tricky indeed. Did not understand why the third lane started backing up two miles back. I had to do a maneuver I hate, I became that guy that drove down to the exit and forced myself into the line to exit. I hate when people do this but their is very little or one sign stating its the I35E S exit.

longhorn

One more point, I know there are plans to blow up and reconstruct the I-30 canyon but going from I-35E North to Central via the Canyon is verrrrrrrrrrrrry counter intuitive. One has to rely on the above signs because the lanes do not go where you think they would.

Redoing the Canyon and keep traffic moving will be a huge engineering effort. But  hey, they redid the mixmaster and kept traffic somewhat moving.

Stephane Dumas

I saw this stub on I-30 in Arlington and I wondered if it was a stub for a reconfigurated exit ramp or long range plans for a future widening of I-30? https://goo.gl/maps/LC8LQBbcQNM9cWwV7

Road Hog

Quote from: longhorn on June 24, 2022, 02:30:58 PM
One more point, I know there are plans to blow up and reconstruct the I-30 canyon but going from I-35E North to Central via the Canyon is verrrrrrrrrrrrry counter intuitive. One has to rely on the above signs because the lanes do not go where you think they would.

Redoing the Canyon and keep traffic moving will be a huge engineering effort. But  hey, they redid the mixmaster and kept traffic somewhat moving.
35E N > Woodall > 75 N is by far the most direct and trouble-free movement.

However, keep your head on a swivel because traffic can dictate otherwse. In which case the Canyon is a serviceable alternative.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 20, 2022, 09:32:32 PM
I saw this stub on I-30 in Arlington and I wondered if it was a stub for a reconfigurated exit ramp or long range plans for a future widening of I-30? https://goo.gl/maps/LC8LQBbcQNM9cWwV7

Yes, the section from the point in your link to IH-820 (east) is slated to be widened to 10 main lanes. TxDOT is in the process of soliciting a consultant for the formal study

https://www.txdot.gov/business/consultants/architectural-engineering-surveying/meetings/061322.html
https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/ppd/061322/presentation.pdf
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Brian556

ROW Clearance and utility relocation progressing on I-35E/ US 77 in Lewisville. This particular stretch goes from Fox Av north to the Motel 6 (Formerly Select Inn) (Hampton Inn before that) just north of Main St

DSC_0144  , on Flickr

rte66man

Quote from: Brian556 on August 12, 2022, 08:35:02 PM
ROW Clearance and utility relocation progressing on I-35E/ US 77 in Lewisville. This particular stretch goes from Fox Av north to the Motel 6 (Formerly Select Inn) (Hampton Inn before that) just north of Main St

DSC_0144  , on Flickr

Are you on the east side looking north?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Brian556

Quote from: rte66man on August 14, 2022, 08:14:03 PM

DSC_0144  , on Flickr

Are you on the east side looking north?

Yes

MaxConcrete

DSC_0144  , on Flickr

A $65 million project at Main Street (FM 1171) is slated to receive bids in January 2023. The schematics show I-35E going under Main Street.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

kernals12

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.