News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What headphones do you use?

Started by Pink Jazz, January 10, 2022, 02:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I was wondering, what headphones do you use?

I used to have the Mpow 059. Due to Mpow's fake review scandal, it made me want to upgrade, so I decided to buy a model with ANC. I now have the Anker Soundcore Life Q30 in pink.

I just ordered the Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2 Pro earbuds in pink. My Life Q30 headphones will mainly be used for travel and home listening, while the Liberty 2 Pro earbuds will mainly be used for walking and exercise.

JayhawkCO

Shokz OpenRun - Bone conduction headphones

7/8

For headphones, I use Sennheiser HD 600. For the few times I need earbuds (mainly on flights), I use much cheaper Sony MDR-XB50AP.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: 7/8 on January 10, 2022, 02:40:55 PM
For headphones, I use Sennheiser HD 600. For the few times I need earbuds (mainly on flights), I use much cheaper Sony MDR-XB50AP.

For me it's the opposite, I prefer over-ear headphones for flights since they do a better job at blocking out noise, and earbuds are easy to lose on an airplane. I ordered earbuds mainly for walking and exercise.

ZLoth

I avoid earbud-type headsets because they're too easy to lose. Instead, I have both a behind the head headphones for listening to audiobooks while walking to/from work as well as noise-cancelling headphones for while I work and when flying. What I actually use is no longer sold at Amazon, so I found some close equivalents that are also low-priced. While I'm sure the more expensive headphones have better quality, I just don't want to feel silly for losing some cheap headphones.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Pink Jazz

Quote from: ZLoth on January 10, 2022, 03:39:30 PM
I avoid earbud-type headsets because they're too easy to lose. Instead, I have both a behind the head headphones for listening to audiobooks while walking to/from work as well as noise-cancelling headphones for while I work and when flying. What I actually use is no longer sold at Amazon, so I found some close equivalents that are also low-priced. While I'm sure the more expensive headphones have better quality, I just don't want to feel silly for losing some cheap headphones.

I used to have the Mpow 059. Mpow was banned from Amazon due to a fake review scandal surrounding them and several other Chinese brands. I since sold them to some girl in Houston on eBay. I now use the Anker Soundcore Life Q30 as my main headphones for travel and home listening. My new Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2 Pro earbuds will mainly be for walking and exercise.

Max Rockatansky

The old Apple kind that has an AUX jack plug in.

ZLoth

Quote from: Pink Jazz on January 10, 2022, 03:51:32 PMMpow was banned from Amazon due to a fake review scandal surrounding them and several other Chinese brands.

Here is the story from The Verge: Amazon says it's permanently banned 600 Chinese brands for review fraud. I agree that the action was necessary even though one of the banned brands sold a USB charger that I really liked and recommended. (It had two USB QuickCharge ports as well as four regular charge ports, very handy for travel as it supported 100-240v without an adapter).
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Roadgeekteen

I use earbuds only as I don't like the look of headphones. I don't remember which brand I use.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

I hate earbuds and find them intensely uncomfortable. I never use them. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro over-the-ear headphones that I like because they fold up nicely and the padding around the ear is yielding enough to be comfortable even with glasses on. I have a much older pair of Grado SR60s that I've had since the 1990s, but I can't use them very often anymore because they're simply too uncomfortable when I'm wearing glasses–my ears start to feel pinched against the eyeglass frames.

I also have an older pair of Bose QuietComfort noise-cancelling headphones, but I seldom use them because they don't fold up to a small enough size to be practical to use for travel in today's world of TSA carry-on limits. My wife had a pair of noise-cancelling on-the-ear Sennheisers that fold up to be about the size of a pair of glasses; they recently broke and we need to get her a new pair, so I may get a pair as well.

In general, though, I try to avoid using headphones for more than small amounts of time. I played too much loud music through headphones when listening to a Walkman when I was in my teens. I occasionally–not always, occasionally–experience signs of what I believe to be mild tinnitus in my left ear.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 202 headphones, but I don't really use them much. Only for plugging into my bass amp when I get the urge to pluck around with it.

For D&D, I use a Logitech headset with mic. I don't remember the model, as it isn't labeled on the headset anywhere.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

I use a pair of Sony headphones. I don't like earbuds because they don't feel good.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

formulanone

AirPods Pro; the first earbuds that can stay in my ear for hours, even when walking or working. They work nicely on my PC, and switching between laptop and phone is almost effortless. Only gripe is that they're small and fidgety to put back the case.

Most headphones feel like a clamp on my ears after about an hour or so. One of the few exceptions I've felt okay was the old Sony MDR-202, which lasted me for about 25 years until snapping (I threw them carelessly into my backpack). Just used the freebie Apple headphones for a few years; I still keep a pair for watching a movie on the plane.

ET21

I use Cowins for my phone, but have SteelSeries for my Xbox and PC
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

7/8

Quote from: Pink Jazz on January 10, 2022, 02:48:26 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on January 10, 2022, 02:40:55 PM

For me it's the opposite, I prefer over-ear headphones for flights since they do a better job at blocking out noise, and earbuds are easy to lose on an airplane. I ordered earbuds mainly for walking and exercise.

In my case, the earbuds to a better job of blocking noise (though still not great on a plane). My headphones are very open, so they really suck on flights. I've thought of getting a cheaper pair of noise-cancelling headphones for the few times a year I fly, but I haven't done it yet.

kevinb1994

I have a pair of Bose headphones that I got as a gift in recent years, though I wonder, with all the abuse it has got since, when I will have to replace it.

jmacswimmer

I have one of the Bose QuietComfort models, and they're phenomenal.  The noise-cancelling is great (cuts down jet engines to a quiet background rumble in flight), and the sound quality is so good to the point that the same songs off other speakers or stereos just never sound the same to me anymore.  Clearly I've become spoiled by it...   :sombrero:

(Another bonus is I can use them for work meetings...it's great for on WFH days when you urgently need to use the latrine, but don't want to miss anything important...  ;-) )
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

JoePCool14

I don't really use true headphones. My biggest issue is that it's too isolating. I want to be able to hear what's going on in the background. If I'm at home, I don't mind. But if I'm out somewhere else, I don't want to not be able to hear if someone's coming up to mug me or something. Also, they get uncomfortable after a while.

I did purchase a PlayStation 5 bundle recently that included a pair of their headphones. I will sometimes use those when I'm playing, and they work well.

I either use Apple earbuds with an AUX jack on my computer and laptop, and I have a set of AirPods for use with my iPhone. I've enjoyed using AirPods and I don't really have any complaints with them. It would be nice to purchase a wireless charging case, but that's not important.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: jmacswimmer on January 11, 2022, 11:00:52 AM
(Another bonus is I can use them for work meetings...it's great for on WFH days when you urgently need to use the latrine, but don't want to miss anything important...  ;-) )

Just make sure you mute your mic before you do that! (I'm paranoid and will usually say something ridiculous after muting just to make sure that it took–don't need other people hearing me in the bathroom!)

tolbs17

Masacegon ones. They are gaming.

hbelkins

Quote from: ZLoth on January 10, 2022, 04:09:17 PM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on January 10, 2022, 03:51:32 PMMpow was banned from Amazon due to a fake review scandal surrounding them and several other Chinese brands.

Here is the story from The Verge: Amazon says it's permanently banned 600 Chinese brands for review fraud. I agree that the action was necessary even though one of the banned brands sold a USB charger that I really liked and recommended. (It had two USB QuickCharge ports as well as four regular charge ports, very handy for travel as it supported 100-240v without an adapter).

Wonder if those brands have shown up on any other commerce sites?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on January 11, 2022, 04:03:41 PM

The sellers probably invented new brands and got right back to exactly the same thing they were doing before. A lot of these Chinese brands you've never heard of is a company buying mediocre generic products en masse from a manufacturer or Alibaba, screen-printing their logo on it (if that), and putting it in a branded box. For some products you can find four copies of the same product–even using the exact same promo photos–with different brand names attached.

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 11, 2022, 05:48:14 PM

Here is the story from The Verge: Amazon says it’s permanently banned 600 Chinese brands for review fraud. I agree that the action was necessary even though one of the banned brands sold a USB charger that I really liked and recommended. (It had two USB QuickCharge ports as well as four regular charge ports, very handy for travel as it supported 100-240v without an adapter).

The sellers probably invented new brands and got right back to exactly the same thing they were doing before. A lot of these Chinese brands you've never heard of is a company buying mediocre generic products en masse from a manufacturer or Alibaba, screen-printing their logo on it (if that), and putting it in a branded box. For some products you can find four copies of the same product—even using the exact same promo photos—with different brand names attached.

Some of the "brand names" on Amazon are laughably weird...and intentionally so

ErmineNotyours

I started a new job last week, at the warehouse/distribution center for a major retailer.  I assumed the policy would be "No smartphones, no way," but it turns out after you have been trained for a while, you can apply to be approved to listen to music on headphones.  But you must buy one of an approved bone conducting headphones.  I'm curious how much time they'll allow you to search for music.

Pink Jazz

Here is the story from The Verge: Amazon says it’s permanently banned 600 Chinese brands for review fraud. I agree that the action was necessary even though one of the banned brands sold a USB charger that I really liked and recommended. (It had two USB QuickCharge ports as well as four regular charge ports, very handy for travel as it supported 100-240v without an adapter).

Mpow is now selling on Walmart.com.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.