News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

DC Signage [was Re: Alps' Roads UPDATE!]

Started by froggie, August 07, 2010, 07:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

QuoteSo do you know if the I-95/I-295 BGS under L'Enfant Promenade is still there?

I got down there on Wednesday and yes, they're still there.  I also noticed the "District of Columbia" I-395 trailblazer on eastbound D St SW at 9th St SW is still there, though other I-395 trailblazer signs at that intersection are neutered.

Ian

Quote from: froggie on August 07, 2010, 07:52:24 AM
QuoteSo do you know if the I-95/I-295 BGS under L'Enfant Promenade is still there?

I got down there on Wednesday and yes, they're still there.  I also noticed the "District of Columbia" I-395 trailblazer on eastbound D St SW at 9th St SW is still there, though other I-395 trailblazer signs at that intersection are neutered.

Glad to hear it's still there, along with the district named I-395 trailblazers! Thanks for checking up on them!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Michael in Philly

Quote from: froggie on August 02, 2010, 10:04:12 AM
Yes, including those.  Note the exit numbers, which didn't exist before the sign changeover.

Exit numbers??  Exit numbers??  In D.C?  Cool.

That said - I'm about to go off-topic, but I'm new, so if you must yell, yell gently: 

If anyone on this forum has any pull with the DC DOT, would they please get them to do something about the signage leading from K Street NW to I-66? It's always been bad, but in the past I've managed to find my way. Last time I was in Washington, maybe the fourth time I've ever tried to do that, I somehow got onto E Street eastbound*, turned around (thinking it would head back the way it came, but no....) and ended up on the Whitehurst. At least I know my way around DC enough that I knew the Whitehurst would get me to Key Bridge so no harm done. But sheesh!

*There's a point at which one has to choose between E Street and...NOTHING. I'm guessing there used to be an I-66 West sign where there's nothing now. Since at the decision point before that one there was a sign saying E Street and Theodore Roosevelt Bridge** (the I-66 bridge), I figured, okay, I'll keep following E Street.

**Actually, it didn't say "Theodore Roosevelt Bridge," but "TR Bridge." Without periods even. Soooooo helpful. And it was a pretty small sign.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

froggie

It's been awhile since I was on E Street, but I'm pretty sure the signs you ask for exist before you get to the split.

Michael in Philly

E Street wasn't the issue:  try finding your way from K Street westbound to 66.  At least every time I've done it it was a quiet weekend afternoon.  There are some places where you have very short (or no) notice of turns.  And this last time (three weeks ago, I think) something was missing because I've never gone off onto E Street before like that.

Back on topic:  I love Alps' Roads!
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Scott5114

How about the signage from secret I-695 (?) to DC 295? The first sign says "TO DC 295/Pennsylvania Avenue" and thereafter no more mention of DC 295. Miss the exit because you didn't figure that Pennsylvania Avenue goes to DC 295? Well, here's a lovely parting gift in the form of a tour of Anacostia.

I kind of want to make a "DC is horrible" thread now that I know I'm not the only one who finds it bletcherous...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

froggie

There's trailblazers as you continue towards Pennsylvania Ave, but it'll all be a moot point anyway in a couple years when the 11th St Bridge project is completed.

froggie

Apparently, the long-been-an-error US 29 signs at Dupont Circle are in the process of being removed...

agentsteel53

any actually old DC-US 29 shields about to receive the axe?

I hope they don't take down the horrifically erroneous I-95 shields that point to completely the wrong direction to connect to alignments long since discarded from the to-build list.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

DDOT recently posted a few photos of the Barney Circle interchange construction on their Flickr feed.  Of note is this original photo, dated September 15, 1970, which shows an I-295 shield inside a "Your Highway Taxes At Work" sign.  It appears that the state name used in this example is D.C. instead of the earlier DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.