News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Thank goodness it's finally fall. The best weather of the year (IMO) is from around now until the end of November.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

ozarkman417

Fall won't come around here for another week at least (so basically on time). Lower 90s and humid this whole week.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 15, 2019, 12:39:47 AM
Even the moderators are getting in on the low-effort spam. I guess I just shouldn't bother anymore.

Pad your post count then  ;-)

Stagnant pattern for me, where it's just humid enough to not open the windows but cool enough to be outside and not sweat immediately. Long range models are hinting at the first big front to begin the pattern change
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: ET21 on September 16, 2019, 03:14:09 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 15, 2019, 12:39:47 AM
Even the moderators are getting in on the low-effort spam. I guess I just shouldn't bother anymore.
Pad your post count then  ;-)

Meh. I'm very much on the substance side of the substance/quantity argument, which I guess should be pretty obvious, judging by my other posts in this thread.

To get back on topic: ever since the last thunderstorm rolled through here early Sunday morning, it has been that same kind of hot and humid. Currently 87 °F with a dewpoint of 69 °F, and similar temperatures are predicted for the rest of the week.

thspfc

Quote from: 1 on September 15, 2019, 09:47:17 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 15, 2019, 08:13:55 PM
Thank goodness it's finally fall.

9/23/19 07:50 UTC
I guess I walked into that one.

(seriously, I don't care when it actually starts.)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: thspfc on September 16, 2019, 07:12:25 PM

I've seen it informally stated in a few places that summer ends after Labor Day. Don't feel too bad.

US 89

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 16, 2019, 07:57:43 PM

I've seen it informally stated in a few places that summer ends after Labor Day. Don't feel too bad.

Meteorological fall is just the months of September through November. I prefer meteorological season definitions for the most part, because they (usually) correlate fairly well with the weather we’d expect of that season. Good luck getting fall weather on December 19.

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 16, 2019, 07:57:43 PM

Yep, at least in the US, Labor Day is widely accepted as the cultural end of summer/beginning of fall.

Use of the meteorological definitions (whole months) vs. the astronomical definitions (based on equinoxes/solstices) is mostly a matter of personal preference, which can be affected by your location as well.

Would I prefer June or September to be part of summer? IMO, a pure toss-up.
Would I prefer December or March to be part of winter? Again, a toss-up. December seems like the obvious choice, but fall can linger into early December, while many of our biggest snowstorms hit in March.

Eth

Quote from: US 89 on September 16, 2019, 09:23:55 PM
Meteorological fall is just the months of September through November. I prefer meteorological season definitions for the most part, because they (usually) correlate fairly well with the weather we'd expect of that season. Good luck getting fall weather on December 19.

More likely than getting it on September 23, really. (Forecast high here is either 86 or 92, depending on which source I check.)

74 now at 9 AM, with a forecast high only in the mid-80s! That would make only the third day so far this month not reaching at least 95.

jakeroot

Quote from: Eth on September 18, 2019, 09:07:22 AM
Quote from: US 89 on September 16, 2019, 09:23:55 PM
Meteorological fall is just the months of September through November. I prefer meteorological season definitions for the most part, because they (usually) correlate fairly well with the weather we'd expect of that season. Good luck getting fall weather on December 19.

More likely than getting it on September 23, really. (Forecast high here is either 86 or 92, depending on which source I check.)

Obviously, we're talking about areas with regular winter weather. Georgia can be cold, but weather there in December is closer to something Seattle might see in September or October. For us, December is easily just as cold and snowy as January or February, and we've had plenty of winter weather events in November. The fact that many of those events have occured in "fall" is rather strange, from a human perspective.

ozarkman417

Fall has finally arrived today for me, right on time. Temps aren't leaving the low to mid 80s anytime soon. With that there is plenty of rain and wind.

jakeroot

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 21, 2019, 02:32:17 PM
Fall has finally arrived today for me, right on time. Temps aren't leaving the low to mid 80s anytime soon. With that there is plenty of rain and wind.

I don't know where you are (guessing southern California), but those temperatures would signal the arrival of summer in the Pacific Northwest, although the rain/wind is classic fall here too.

Our fall is in full-force here today...light drizzle, low 60s.

ozarkman417

Quote from: jakeroot on September 22, 2019, 05:34:00 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 21, 2019, 02:32:17 PM

I don't know where you are (guessing southern California), but those temperatures would signal the arrival of summer in the Pacific Northwest, although the rain/wind is classic fall here too.

Our fall is in full-force here today...light drizzle, low 60s.
My correct geographical location is Southwestern Missouri.

jakeroot

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 22, 2019, 06:22:18 PM

Ahh, I see. Never knew much about US-66. I thought it was designated in full from the beginning, but I see the "birthplace" is considered to be Springfield, MO. Learn something new every day!

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on September 22, 2019, 06:32:01 PM

Ahh, I see. Never knew much about US-66. I thought it was designated in full from the beginning, but I see the "birthplace" is considered to be Springfield, MO. Learn something new every day!

Did you forget where the Ozarks are?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on September 22, 2019, 09:36:23 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 22, 2019, 06:32:01 PM

Did you forget where the Ozarks are?

I read his profile name as "oz", assumed it was something related to Australia, and then stopped reading. I mostly recognize people by their profile picture.

Mark68

It's been fairly unseasonably hot here (upper 80s). Low 80s expected today, near 90 tomorrow, before a front and a big cool off (mid 60s with some showers) on Friday.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

webny99

Today is fairly warm - hot, almost - but it's supposed to be cooler later in the week. Hoping the sun and pleasant weather lasts at least through the weekend!

Eth

Record-breaking heat in Atlanta for the third time so far this month (high of 94, previous record 90). The big question now is whether we'll break our all-time record for most days in a year at or above 90 degrees. The record is 90 days, we're currently at 84 IIRC, and we're forecast to stay in the 90s through the middle of next week. Gonna be close, assuming they don't just return again in October.

Mark68

Partly cloudy and 64, heading toward the upper 70s. Feels like fall. Finally. Back to the 80s over the weekend (upper 80s on Sunday), followed by an expected cool down in the middle of next week (mid 60s).

BTW, our average first snowfall is Oct 18. The first average freeze is Oct 7. I think we'll blow by the latter with no problem.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

thspfc

Alberta is going to get dumped on this weekend.

ET21

The first seasonal storm system is upon me at least. Go from the upper 80s and humid Tuesday to barely making it above 60 on Friday
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: ET21 on September 30, 2019, 09:01:09 AM
The first seasonal storm system is upon me at least. Go from the upper 80s and humid Tuesday to barely making it above 60 on Friday

Similar story here, but a day in advance. Hot and miserable today (high of 87 °F and lots of humidity), with showers and possibly thunderstorms Tuesday and Wednesday to put highs in the low 60s on Thursday and Friday.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.