News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Jersey freeways" outside of New Jersey

Started by froggie, November 14, 2011, 01:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

signalman

^ It certainly should.  There are "Jersey freways" with actual median seperation, not a concrete barrier, here in Jersey.

sandiaman

Quote from: Henry on December 15, 2011, 10:21:10 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 15, 2011, 06:38:04 AM
Quote from: NE2 on November 15, 2011, 05:37:24 AM
I-40 in New Mexico :)

for some reason, I remember those "TEMPORARY" side roads being closed off.  Am I mistaken?

that said - I-40 around the NC/TN line.  I-5 in the Grapevine.  I-8 in a few spots in western Arizona.  And probably others I am not recalling successfully.

I'm sure I-10 and/or I-20 in far western Texas are also like that. It's been years since I last came through what I used to call "the world's largest nowhere!"

BlueNacho

IL 72 through Busse woods (I290 to Arlington Heights Road) is sort of a jersey freeway Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. Those days, left turns are prohibited. The only intersections in that area are access to the preserve.

Some_Person

roadman65

It does look like part of the Gordon Highway in Augusta, GA is that way.  There are long segments between signals that have RIRO situations in between them.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

Quote from: Henry on December 15, 2011, 10:21:10 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 15, 2011, 06:38:04 AM
Quote from: NE2 on November 15, 2011, 05:37:24 AM
I-40 in New Mexico :)

for some reason, I remember those "TEMPORARY" side roads being closed off.  Am I mistaken?

that said - I-40 around the NC/TN line.  I-5 in the Grapevine.  I-8 in a few spots in western Arizona.  And probably others I am not recalling successfully.

I'm sure I-10 and/or I-20 in far western Texas are also like that. It's been years since I last came through what I used to call "the world's largest nowhere!"

There is a short section of I-90 just west of Gillette, WY that has RIRO accesses to exurban sprawl side streets.

Also, there is a RIRO side road connection on WB I-80 in the Delaware Water Gap in New Jersey.

Mike

Alps

Quote from: Some_Person on October 27, 2012, 07:31:04 PM
PA 12 seems to be a Jersey Freeway for a few miles: http://goo.gl/maps/TkpXg
A lot of that I think is actual freeway, though. I'll be back before too long, as I alternate going that way with US 222 and US 1.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Steve on October 28, 2012, 02:31:46 AM
Quote from: Some_Person on October 27, 2012, 07:31:04 PM
PA 12 seems to be a Jersey Freeway for a few miles: http://goo.gl/maps/TkpXg
A lot of that I think is actual freeway, though. I'll be back before too long, as I alternate going that way with US 222 and US 1.

Yeah, most of it is. It has businesses and cross streets on it from the beginning to the "ramps" to PA 183, all left over from back when surface 422 along 222 south of there fed right into Warren Street(?). I don't know much about the configuration history right there, though.

Google mistakenly labels it as "expressway," despite the businesses.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Laura

- The section of MD 140 that is used as a transition from I-795 in Baltimore is a jersey freeway.

- US 29/460 east of Lynchburg, VA was recently turned into a jersey freeway with jug handles and no left turns. You can only enter and exit businesses from the right side of the road. This was done in order to avoid extending US 29 southeast of Lynchburg (which would completely bypass it)

- I would argue that Utica, New York is one giant jersey freeway. Their slogan should be "no left turns ever".

StogieGuy7

I would add portions of US 5 (Riverdale Rd.) through West Springfield, MA and the portion of US 5/CT 15 known as the Berlin Turnpike - through the towns of Berlin, Newington and part of Weathersfield, CT.   

US 41 between IL 120 and Deerfield, IL also qualifies as this type of highway. 

What all three have in common was that they were originally constructed back in the 1930's and 1940's, before standards for limited access highways/freeways were standardized.   Which is also why you still see highways such as this in much of Latin America.   It's definitely cheaper to do it this way.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on November 22, 2011, 10:51:50 AM
Mexico is full of this type of expressway.

MX-2 between Calexico and San Luis Rio Colorado is like this as well. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.