News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

GOP lawmaker proposes statewide ban on red light cameras

Started by Brandon, January 23, 2015, 01:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

GOP lawmaker proposes statewide ban on red light cameras

QuoteA Republican state lawmaker filed legislation to outlaw traffic enforcement cameras statewide in the wake of a Tribune investigation into Chicago's controversial red light program, but it faces an uncertain future in a legislature controlled by Mayor Rahm Emanuel's Democratic allies.

Rep. David McSweeney, a Barrington Hills Republican and longtime camera opponent, cited the Tribune's recent investigation showing the Chicago program failed to deliver on longtime safety claims.

"It's very clear that these cameras are a way for local governments to raise money," said McSweeney, who filed the bill last week. "And obviously Rahm Emanuel has taken it to its extreme."

QuoteThe bill would repeal state law that allowed Chicago to grow its red light program into the largest in the nation and also targets the mayor's new speed camera program that began rolling out last year.

Any decision on whether the proposed ban gets a hearing in Springfield is firmly in the control of the Democrat majority and longtime House Speaker Michael Madigan of Chicago, who has long supported automated camera enforcement.

The proposed legislation follows a series of Tribune reports that questioned City Hall's safety claims, illustrated how failed oversight led to the unfair ticketing of tens of thousands of motorists, and exposed an alleged bribery scheme involving a Madigan patronage worker and precinct captain who long oversaw the Chicago red light camera program.

Quote"At the end of the day, it's important that we have debate on this issue, that we get a vote on the floor and hopefully ban these cameras," said McSweeney, who added that Sen. Dan Duffy, R-Lake Barrington, is ready to sponsor the legislation in the Senate. "I am sure I will have a discussion with Speaker Madigan about it very soon."
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Sounds like they may have to trade some favors to get this thru. 

I don't know how it went over in other states, but in NJ neither party, plus the governor, expressed much interest in continuing the program.  A few pols submitted bills to retain the red light cameras, along with one or two that would forever ban the cameras.  I would've thought after the November election there'll be more support to retain the cameras prior to them shutting down in December, but that never materialized.

dave069

Really hoping this ban passes! The way Chicago uses the cameras is just awful.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.