News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipeters61

Quote from: Alex4897 on May 03, 2020, 12:20:42 PM
Hopefully the newer iteration of work includes some better interchange redesigns, the SR 273 one touched off a lot of controversy with Christiana with the proposed closure of SR 7, and the US 13 one seemed like it was missing movements and still not giving enough priority to SR 1 SB in terms of # of lanes.
Funny thing is, on that DE-1/US-13 interchange one (Exit 156 trumpet interchange), I mentioned it during a workshop in Newark a few years back.  As it turns out, in light traffic, DE-1 SB through traffic in that interchange has enough time to redistribute across the 3 lanes, despite the far right lane (originally the right lane of 2 lanes coming from the north into that ramp) ending.  What's annoying, though, is that people tend to move a little too soon - before merging in with US-13 traffic - and it disrupts traffic flow.  Last time I was driving through there, an 18-wheeler cut me off a little too soon and caused me to drop from 75 to 60.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Alex4897

Quote from: Tonytone on May 03, 2020, 12:25:14 PM
I believe the plans for 273 interchange were picked. They chose a roundabout/exit lane for the locals in the area to exit from route 7 to 273.

I don't believe that roundabout was their final choice last time this project came up, I think the idea of throwing a roundabout on a high-speed ramp with a tendency to back up all the way to the mainline was pretty resoundingly balked at. Regardless I'm fairly certain they're coming back with fresh / refined alternatives since the last time this project was seriously evaluated was the better part of a decade ago.

They seem to be adding a 3rd lane on the Tybouts curve NB & SB that will be interesting to see.

You mean between SR 273 and US 40? All they're working on right now is adding an auxiliary lane for SB SR 1 to mirror the northbound one while they figure out what they want to do with widening the entire corridor.

Quote from: ipeters61 on May 03, 2020, 01:15:42 PM
Funny thing is, on that DE-1/US-13 interchange one (Exit 156 trumpet interchange), I mentioned it during a workshop in Newark a few years back.  As it turns out, in light traffic, DE-1 SB through traffic in that interchange has enough time to redistribute across the 3 lanes, despite the far right lane (originally the right lane of 2 lanes coming from the north into that ramp) ending.  What's annoying, though, is that people tend to move a little too soon - before merging in with US-13 traffic - and it disrupts traffic flow.  Last time I was driving through there, an 18-wheeler cut me off a little too soon and caused me to drop from 75 to 60.

Even if it's fine during light traffic, the fact that US 13 gets favored through that merge despite carrying less than half the traffic SR 1 carries (if DelDOT's traffic counts page is to be believed) is baffling.
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on May 03, 2020, 01:55:21 PM
I believe the plans for 273 interchange were picked. They chose a roundabout/exit lane for the locals in the area to exit from route 7 to 273.

I don't believe that roundabout was their final choice last time this project came up, I think the idea of throwing a roundabout on a high-speed ramp with a tendency to back up all the way to the mainline was pretty resoundingly balked at. Regardless I'm fairly certain they're coming back with fresh / refined alternatives since the last time this project was seriously evaluated was the better part of a decade ago.

They seem to be adding a 3rd lane on the Tybouts curve NB & SB that will be interesting to see.

You mean between SR 273 and US 40? All they're working on right now is adding an auxiliary lane for SB SR 1 to mirror the northbound one while they figure out what they want to do with widening the entire corridor.

Even if it's fine during light traffic, the fact that US 13 gets favored through that merge despite carrying less than half the traffic SR 1 carries (if DelDOT's traffic counts page is to be believed) is baffling.
Uhh bro you might want go to drive over on De-1 They have barriers set up from the 273 exit all the way to the De-1 Us-13 merge. They are adding a 3rd lane all the way.

They also have the median of Us-13 blocked off  & preparing the dirt. With a "road closed sign"  

Same for the NB side & Curve.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Alex4897

Quote from: Tonytone on May 03, 2020, 02:13:59 PM

Uhh bro you might want go to drive over on De-1 They have barriers set up from the 273 exit all the way to the De-1 Us-13 merge. They are adding a 3rd lane all the way.

They also have the median of Us-13 blocked off  & preparing the dirt. With a "road closed sign"  

iPhone

No, they're not.
Project Plans
Project Listing
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Final pave on Main St

iPhone

ixnay

Any word on when the construction on the Route 1 bridge over the Rehoboth canal will be done and it becomes 4 lanes again?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Alex4897

DelDOT decided to pave over SR 1 from the Appoquinimink River to Exit 119 in Smyrna because of ride quality issues..? I guess? I'm kinda surprised they chose this method, SR 896's Glasgow Bypass had even worse ride quality issue that were solved with a good grinding.

I did some digging for the bid for this project and came across a Q&A doc with internal correspondence between the contractor questions from all the bidders. The contractor asked a couple questions to the effect of "is this going to make any difference at all?" with DelDOT replying with the government equivalent of "lol idk." Can't wait for the subbase to fall apart beneath the flimsy layer of asphalt and turn the road into a minefield.

http://contracts.delaware.gov/contracts_detail.asp?i=5784

Quote from: ixnay on May 08, 2020, 09:00:57 PM
Any word on when the construction on the Route 1 bridge over the Rehoboth canal will be done and it becomes 4 lanes again?

ixnay
Project listing says late spring 2020, so they've gotta be wrapping up soon.
👉😎👉

jemacedo9

They hav
Quote from: Alex4897 on May 13, 2020, 11:24:03 AM
DelDOT decided to pave over SR 1 from the Appoquinimink River to Exit 119 in Smyrna because of ride quality issues..? I guess? I'm kinda surprised they chose this method, SR 896's Glasgow Bypass had even worse ride quality issue that were solved with a good grinding.

The grinding they did earlier this year was AWFUL...it made the ride rougher than before...not from a bump, but it feels like you're riding on asphalt-milled pavement.  I guess I'm surprised they didn't try a finer grinding, but something needs to be done.

Alps

I did some digging for the bid for this project and came across a Q&A doc with internal correspondence between the contractor and DelDOT. The contractor asked a couple questions to the effect of "is this going to make any difference at all?" with DelDOT replying with the government equivalent of "lol idk." Can't wait for the subbase to fall apart beneath the flimsy layer of asphalt and turn the road into a minefield.

Just to clarify, that's not "internal correspondence." Those are bidder questions that are revealed to all bidders and therefore part of what's available to the public.

Tonytone

ixnay
When they make the rest of the road from Tybouts to the bridge 4 lanes.

iPhone

Edit: Ditto. Misread.

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on May 04, 2020, 02:37:04 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on May 03, 2020, 02:13:59 PM

iPhone

No, they're not.
Project Plans
Project Listing
Thanks for the documents. Yea they might just be doing shoulder improvements, because they went crazy on barriers.

iPhone

Tonytone

I did some digging for the bid for this project and came across a Q&A doc with internal correspondence between the contractor and DelDOT. The contractor asked a couple questions to the effect of "is this going to make any difference at all?" with DelDOT replying with the government equivalent of "lol idk." Can't wait for the subbase to fall apart beneath the flimsy layer of asphalt and turn the road into a minefield.

ixnay
I assume relaying concrete was not easy since they decided to pave it.

iPhone

Alex4897

Quote from: Alps on May 13, 2020, 01:21:35 PM
Just to clarify, that's not "internal correspondence." Those are bidder questions that are revealed to all bidders and therefore part of what's available to the public.
Oops you're right, that would explain the almost duplicate questions!
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Look at Wilmington's new baby.

iPhone

ixnay

Quote from: Tonytone on May 15, 2020, 09:09:01 PM

iPhone

Too bad you couldn't rotate it 90 degrees left.  My tablet and maybe others' won't let me rotate the tablet without the picture rotating with it.

Is that the renovated Amtrak parking garage on the south side of the stone trestle?
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Tonytone

Quote from: ixnay on May 17, 2020, 11:13:32 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on May 15, 2020, 09:09:01 PM

iPhone

Too bad you couldn't rotate it 90 degrees left.  My tablet and maybe others' won't let me rotate the tablet without the picture rotating with it.

Is that the renovated Amtrak parking garage on the south side of the stone trestle?

Here you go sorry about that!

Um behind it? A new parking lot then a ramp to go to the 2nd/3rd floor of the new parking garage above it.

Ill take some new pics. My phone ran out of storage. Time to move some pics.

iPhone

seicer

Quote from: jemacedo9 on May 13, 2020, 11:46:51 AM
They hav

The grinding they did earlier this year was AWFUL...it made the ride rougher than before...not from a bump, but it feels like you're riding on asphalt-milled pavement.  I guess I'm surprised they didn't try a finer grinding, but something needs to be done.

Yikes: https://goo.gl/maps/M6nhcbiV2SEUvGiZ7

ixnay

Capegazette.com says tonight that the DE bridge indeed has all four lanes open again.  (Sorry about the lack of a link,  I'm on my tablet and haven't mastered tablet copying and pasting)

sbeaver44

If I look on DelDOT's toll rates website, there are 2 different rates for Exit 119A and 119B Southbound on DE 1.  Both for Cash and EZPass, 119B is 25 cents higher.  Is there an actual toll collection point on that ramp?  I know 114 has a toll collection point.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 28, 2020, 08:32:07 PM
If I look on DelDOT's toll rates website, there are 2 different rates for Exit 119A and 119B Southbound on DE 1.  Both for Cash and EZPass, 119B is 25 cents higher.  Is there an actual toll collection point on that ramp?  I know 114 has a toll collection point.

My best guess is that's a mistake? Streetview clicking thru both those ramps doesn't show any tolling equipment (and exit 119B is signed as "last exit before toll" as well). 
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

ipeters61

ixnay
Later than you expected to get this, but I went down to the beach today and DE-1 was back to its full width.  It looked like there were some finishing touches being put in.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

ixnay

Quote from: ipeters61 on May 30, 2020, 09:06:33 PM

ixnay
Later than you expected to get this, but I went down to the beach today and DE-1 was back to its full width.  It looked like there were some finishing touches being put in.

Already saw that on DelDot's webcam at DE 1 and Rehoboth Av. (DE 1A in West Rehoboth near the DART park and ride).

ixnay

Tonytone

What font is this? This isn't the regular deldot font.

iPhone

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Tonytone on June 11, 2020, 08:35:37 PM

An awful one - or is it the spacing.  Is that a current photo?  That looks like the entrance from 141.  Looking at the Streetview image, the different sign shown on that gantry in the October 2019 capture looks better and in perfectly good condition.  Was the "Exit Only" on that sign not applicable anymore - It looks like it still is, but that might be temporary for the construction.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6991075,-75.6034972,3a,76.5y,177.24h,85.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDccnwp4wN7pX-od4AJG0Ug!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DDccnwp4wN7pX-od4AJG0Ug%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D56.655712%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Tonytone

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 11, 2020, 11:31:16 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on June 11, 2020, 08:35:37 PM

An awful one - or is it the spacing.  Is that a current photo?  That looks like the entrance from 141.  Looking at the Streetview image, the different sign shown on that gantry in the October 2019 capture looks better and in perfectly good condition.  Was the "Exit Only" on that sign not applicable anymore - It looks like it still is, but that might be temporary for the construction.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6991075,-75.6034972,3a,76.5y,177.24h,85.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDccnwp4wN7pX-od4AJG0Ug!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DDccnwp4wN7pX-od4AJG0Ug%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D56.655712%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192
Yup it is 141 295 Exit.

Alot of construction is currently going on in that area so im not sure why they changed a already new sign again. 

But that font is really ugly, Just as bad as clearview.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.