News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

Posted in two other threads, but some of y'all probably don't look at those. So here we go... We have Alternate LA 2, and Alternate Myth and Legends Trail. Not only do we have an alternate route of a historic trail, but we have a Louisiana highway that doesn't get a speed limit sign until the junction with LA 111 (LA 8 is the highway I'm referring to), which means if you use the last known speed limit sign, you're legally allowed to go 60 MPH on a two lane road. Quite contrary to Texas, who was 65 MPH on a two lane road, the shoulder was dropped, and the speed went up to 75 MPH... with a giant rumble strip down the middle.

Alternate Myth and Legends Trail - http://goo.gl/maps/eWLV1

jbnv

I couldn't even tell you where the Myth & Legends Trail is, much less the alternate.

I also noticed that there was a Dairy Queen Road with no Dairy Queen on it.

Damn, now I want a Blizzard.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

mcdonaat

Quote from: jbnv on May 27, 2014, 03:04:52 PM
I couldn't even tell you where the Myth & Legends Trail is, much less the alternate.

I also noticed that there was a Dairy Queen Road with no Dairy Queen on it.

Damn, now I want a Blizzard.
I figured that an alternate highway makes sense! Not an alternate trail. There's actually a DQ in Deridder, a half hour from this sign...they serve breakfast.

Nexus 7

jbnv

Quote from: mcdonaat on May 27, 2014, 05:38:31 PM
There's actually a DQ in Deridder, a half hour from this sign...they serve breakfast.

I'm in Hammond now. Nearest one that I know of is in Baton Rouge. Ironically, they just opened a new one in Lafayette after being absent from Lafayette for several years. But I have moved away from Lafayette and probably won't ever move back.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

cjk374

I have a question for y'all in the toe of the boot:  I'm going to Slidell Saturday.  I have made this trip a thousand times, & I-55 & I-12 have just made me bored to tears.  I'd like to come in on MS 27 where it turns into LA 25 & take it to Covington, then take US 190 in.  On the way back, I wanna take US 51 all the way to Crystal Springs, MS & take MS 27 to Vicksburg.  Any facts or opinions I need to know about these routes before I take my trip Saturday? 
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Alps

Quote from: cjk374 on May 28, 2014, 09:02:05 PM
I have a question for y'all in the toe of the boot:  I'm going to Slidell Saturday.  I have made this trip a thousand times, & I-55 & I-12 have just made me bored to tears.  I'd like to come in on MS 27 where it turns into LA 25 & take it to Covington, then take US 190 in.  On the way back, I wanna take US 51 all the way to Crystal Springs, MS & take MS 27 to Vicksburg.  Any facts or opinions I need to know about these routes before I take my trip Saturday? 
You may want to take this question to the "Road Trips" section of our forum!

jbnv

Look for the abandoned snowball stand on US 51 between Tickfaw and Independence. You can't miss it; it's quite colorful.

apjung

Quote from: mcdonaat on May 22, 2014, 12:00:49 AM
Quote from: brownpelican on May 21, 2014, 11:20:39 PM
Lawmakers today passed a bill that officially named the I-10 Twin Span after the late WWL-TV reporter and chef Frank Davis, dubbed the Frank Davis Memorial Bridge.
Unanimous approval, 90-0.

And signed into law by Gov. Jindal to take effect on August 1.
http://www.wwltv.com/news/Jindal-signs-bill-re-naming-Twin-Spans-after-Frank-Davis-262464841.html

In other I-10 in Louisiana news, it's officially a minimum of 4 lanes on I-10 Eastbound from Exit 225: Veterans Blvd to Exit 230: I-610 split as DoTD has finally restriped the I-10 Eastbound at Clearview Pkwy entrance ramp and shifting the right lane to a merging lane. Now I'm still waiting for I-10 Westbound at Causeway Blvd entrance ramp to get the same treatment.

brownpelican

Quote from: jbnv on May 28, 2014, 09:49:28 AM
There's actually a DQ in Deridder, a half hour from this sign...they serve breakfast.

I'm in Hammond now. Nearest one that I know of is in Baton Rouge. Ironically, they just opened a new one in Lafayette after being absent from Lafayette for several years. But I have moved away from Lafayette and probably won't ever move back.

Also one in Metairie on Airline near Clearview.

brownpelican

Not much to see on Miss. 27 nor La. 25. Traffic picks up when you get to Covington.

mcdonaat

Quote from: brownpelican on June 17, 2014, 11:41:03 PM

I know that Marksville is about to get a DQ. So far, I know that there are DQs in Pineville, Alexandria, Ball, Natchitoches, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Central, and Metairie. Any others that I missed?

Dairy Queens actually determine where I make my travels. That, and Hardees. Louisiana seems spotty when it comes to some chains - Lafayette area has Hardees, Shreveport has Carl's Jr. Baton Rouge has Dunkin, but Alexandria/Pineville, 70K people, relies on two Starbucks, one in the Kroger and the other in Albertsons.

brownpelican

Four projects worth $10 million coming up for the Pontchartrain and Westbank Expressways, DOTD announced.

* US 90 on-ramp at Claiborne Ave: a new elevated one will replace the current one headed toward Metairie and the road will be restriped to three lanes (not including the on-ramp). Construction should start in early 2015 and last a year.

* Restriping from the I-10 split on the Eastbank to Ames Blvd. on the Westbank.

* The CCC toll plaza will be demolished and 12 lanes will be reduced to four thru lanes. This won't happen until 2015-16.

* Seven ramp meters will be installed downtown and will operate during the morning and evening commutes. "They will be installed for drivers heading lakebound who enter on ramps at Annunciation Street, at Baronne Street, at Loyola Avenue and at Claiborne Avenue. They would be installed for drivers headed to the river who enter at Earhart Expressway, at Barrone Street and at Magazine Street." That should begin this fall.

Full details:
http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2014/06/traffic_engineers_ease_fears_a.html#incart_river

brownpelican

Correction - that DQ in Metairie is on Airline east of David Drive/Hickory Drive. There's a second one I wasn't aware of on Barataria Blvd. north of Lapalco Blvd.

Gulfport also has one on Pass Road and US 49.

Pascagoula and Long Beach are on US 90 and D'Iberville's is on Auto Mall Parkway.

Hattiesburg, Laurel, Brookhaven MS, Magee MS. and Jackson have them too.

bassoon1986

Quote from: mcdonaat on June 17, 2014, 11:46:54 PM
Quote from: brownpelican on June 17, 2014, 11:41:03 PM

I know that Marksville is about to get a DQ. So far, I know that there are DQs in Pineville, Alexandria, Ball, Natchitoches, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Central, and Metairie. Any others that I missed?

Dairy Queens actually determine where I make my travels. That, and Hardees. Louisiana seems spotty when it comes to some chains - Lafayette area has Hardees, Shreveport has Carl's Jr. Baton Rouge has Dunkin, but Alexandria/Pineville, 70K people, relies on two Starbucks, one in the Kroger and the other in Albertsons.

Shreveport and Bossier City have quite a few Dairy Queens. I think 4 between the two cities. Also one in Vivian, Benton, and Minden. Bossier city now has a Dunkin Donuts as well.

pctech

Does anyone know what kind material is being used to patch the numerous cracks and chip outs on Jefferson Highway (LA 73)  in Baton Rouge? It appears to be some kind of epoxy like mix.
It's temperature sensitive as they were throwing bags of ice on one of the fresh patches last weekend as I drove by. It also has kind of epoxy like smell to it.

Anthony_JK

DQ's been in Opelousas for a good long while...still is today (on Landry Street past the St. Landry Parish Courthouse).

jbnv

Louisiana seems spotty when it comes to some chains - Lafayette area has Hardees, Shreveport has Carl's Jr. Baton Rouge has Dunkin, but Alexandria/Pineville, 70K people, relies on two Starbucks, one in the Kroger and the other in Albertsons.

You may find this interesting: my compilation of chain restaurants that failed in Lafayette.

cenlaroads

DeQuincy, DeRidder, Coushatta, Eunice, and Minden all have Dairy Queens that I have seen.  I'm sure there is a more complete list at their website.

brownpelican

Work begins later this month on the four-lane widening of La. 21 from Bootlegger Road to 11th Street in Covington. The $16.8 million project includes two new bridges across the Tchefuncte River. Work should take about two years.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2014/06/widening_of_south_tyler_in_cov.html#incart_river

Also, a proposal by DOTD would make US 190 between I-12 and the Claiborne Hill overpass (where it goes over La. 21 and the Bogue Falaya River) a "super street". From The Times-Picayune:
QuoteThe state is floating a plan that would in essence block traffic crossing U.S. 190 from the side streets and eliminate all left turns from those streets. Instead, those vehicles feeding onto the thoroughfare would be prompted to make right turns and merge into U-turn or J-turn lanes in order to head back in the other direction.

Each of the turn lanes would be signalized to more easily allow vehicles to re-enter the U.S. 190 flow. While not exactly the notoriously turn-restrictive Tulane Avenue in New Orleans, the new traffic plan would virtually eliminate full access intersections and would mean that vehicles emerging from the side streets would only be able to turn right at U.S. 190.

DOTD says the proposals could cut travel time in half.

]http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2014/06/us_190_near_covington_would_be.html]

jbnv

Quote from: brownpelican on June 20, 2014, 01:29:48 PM
Also, a proposal by DOTD would make US 190 between I-12 and the Claiborne Hill overpass (where it goes over La. 21 and the Bogue Falaya River) a "super street". From The Times-Picayune:
QuoteThe state is floating a plan that would in essence block traffic crossing U.S. 190 from the side streets and eliminate all left turns from those streets. Instead, those vehicles feeding onto the thoroughfare would be prompted to make right turns and merge into U-turn or J-turn lanes in order to head back in the other direction.

Each of the turn lanes would be signalized to more easily allow vehicles to re-enter the U.S. 190 flow. While not exactly the notoriously turn-restrictive Tulane Avenue in New Orleans, the new traffic plan would virtually eliminate full access intersections and would mean that vehicles emerging from the side streets would only be able to turn right at U.S. 190.

DOTD says the proposals could cut travel time in half.

]http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2014/06/us_190_near_covington_would_be.html]

Yes. It really needs to be a freeway. I-112, anyone?

Avalanchez71

Quote from: jbnv on June 18, 2014, 02:39:34 PM
Louisiana seems spotty when it comes to some chains - Lafayette area has Hardees, Shreveport has Carl's Jr. Baton Rouge has Dunkin, but Alexandria/Pineville, 70K people, relies on two Starbucks, one in the Kroger and the other in Albertsons.

You may find this interesting: my compilation of chain restaurants that failed in Lafayette.

That list is similar to Franklin, TN as well.

A&W Restaurant
Back Yard Burgers
Bennigan's
Godfather's Pizza
Lone Star Steakhouse
Long John Silver's
Maggie Moo's
Orange Julius
Pizza Inn
Ryan's
Otter's Fried Chicken

Not sure if these were there but maybe.
Steak & Ale
Western Sizzlin'

jbnv

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 20, 2014, 01:41:47 PM
-Otter's Fried Chicken

Otter's was developed by some Louisiana guys who for some reason started their chain in Tennessee. They opened a location right across from a Raising Cane's (great idea!) and in the booming metropolis of Breaux Bridge. Not a big surprise that they are no longer in business. The old location is now a Whataburger.

mcdonaat

Quote from: jbnv on June 20, 2014, 03:58:22 PM
The old location is now a Whataburger.
A perfect ending! Whataburger is amazing. We (Pineville) might be getting one, hopefully a franchise, and hopefully by the Antoon family. They own Outlaw's (a BBQ chain), Popeyes, and Taco Bueno (the only one in Louisiana). All the restaurants are clean, food is always delicious, and worth the trip across the river just for some Taco Bueno.

jbnv

Quote from: mcdonaat on June 21, 2014, 10:50:39 PM
Quote from: jbnv on June 20, 2014, 03:58:22 PM
The old location is now a Whataburger.
A perfect ending! Whataburger is amazing. We (Pineville) might be getting one, hopefully a franchise, and hopefully by the Antoon family. They own Outlaw's (a BBQ chain), Popeyes, and Taco Bueno (the only one in Louisiana). All the restaurants are clean, food is always delicious, and worth the trip across the river just for some Taco Bueno.

I respect your enthusiasm. Raising Cane's fingers and their sauce just isn't the same as Whataburger fingers with white gravy. Unfortunately, the Whataburger's eastward progress appears to have stopped at Baton Rouge(*). I'd like to have one in Hammond. (* They do have some in Florida.)

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: jbnv on June 22, 2014, 06:49:56 PM
I respect your enthusiasm. Raising Cane's fingers and their sauce just isn't the same as Whataburger fingers with white gravy. Unfortunately, the Whataburger's eastward progress appears to have stopped at Baton Rouge(*). I'd like to have one in Hammond. (* They do have some in Florida.)

They have in Mississippi as well. I do have to admit that more and more chains have been flowing into NOLA at an alarming rate lately.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.