News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Beltway on June 14, 2012, 10:39:19 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on June 14, 2012, 09:36:04 PM
Noticed today while driving around Chesterfield County that some right-of-way is being cleared along section of Old Hundred Road (SR 652/the tail end of VA 76) between Charter Colony Parkway and just past Brandermill Parkway. I hadn't previously heard about any project to widen the road, or that any progress had been made regarding any potential extension of Powhite Parkway (it's not likely to happen what with the development in Brandermill and Woodlake now).

That has been reported in the newspapers.  An $8 million project to widen one mile of Powhite to 4 lanes divided, extending from the western end of the 4-lane divided cross section.  Will extend west to Watermill Parkway.

"The county Transportation Department said construction started in April on widening the Powhite Parkway extension from Route 288 to Watermill Parkway to four lanes. The $8 million project, financed with revenue-sharing funds from the Virginia Department of Transportation, is expected to be finished in December."

http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/news/2012-06-13/Front_Page/Roadwork_gears_up_in_anticipation_of_growth.html

Also of interest, the un-6-laned section of US-360 east of VA-288 --

"Meanwhile, engineering studies are under way for widening two stretches of Route 360. The section from Genito Road to Warbro Road, currently four lanes, would be expanded to six lanes at a cost of about $3.5 million. Scheduled to start construction next year, the project would be financed with funds from the Regional Surface Transportation Program (RSTP), a combined state and federal program."

Somehow I missed that story, thanks for the link. As for US 360, that 6-laning is definitely needed. During the day, US 360 in central Chesterfield County is an utter nightmare thanks to suburban sprawl and gigantic planned neighborhoods near Swift Creek Reservoir. There are times when even 6 lanes don't seem like enough. The stretch near Brandermill and Woodlake is actually 8 lanes for about two miles or so and it's still badly congested at times.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Loudoun-Prince William Highway is not the "˜Outer Beltway,' but it's a big, controversial road

QuoteOur elected representatives keep saying it's true, so we'll believe them: This is not an Outer Beltway. But the momentum is clearly ramping up to build a major north-south thoroughfare from Route 7 in Loudoun County down to I-95 in Prince William County, which officials say will better connect Dulles International Airport with I-66 and I-95 to increase its role as a cargo hub.

QuoteSmart growth groups say spending billions on a north-south road is a bad idea when the vast majority of traffic goes east-west. A north-south Loudoun-Prince William Highway would simply enrich the developers who've been waiting for that corridor to unfold, some longtime observers say, adding more sprawl and more cars which would mostly be heading to D.C. or Fairfax County, not to Manassas or Ashburn.

QuoteAnd Loudoun County's not wasting any time. Nine days after approving the route for the highway, the county filed eminent domain proceedings against two properties in its path.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

I'm all in favor of a new parkway, which I guess ties into VA 28. Extend that sucker to Solomon's Island and you'll get some REAL economic development.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on June 15, 2012, 06:55:20 PM
I'm all in favor of a new parkway, which I guess ties into VA 28. Extend that sucker to Solomon's Island and you'll get some REAL economic development.

Not sure I get the idea behind extending this to Solomon's Island.  Were you being sarcastic?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 16, 2012, 11:47:06 AM

Not sure I get the idea behind extending this to Solomon's Island.  Were you being sarcastic?

On the one hand, (: On the other hand, connecting it to the 2/4 corridor may actually do something.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on June 17, 2012, 01:05:07 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 16, 2012, 11:47:06 AM

On the one hand, (: On the other hand, connecting it to the 2/4 corridor may actually do something.

The original Outer Beltway plans did not enter or cross Calvert County, Maryland at all. 

Scott Kozel's Roads to the Future has (what I consider to be) an image of a reasonably accurate Outer Beltway map on his Roads to the Future site here.

deathtopumpkins

VDOT and Governor McDonnell announced recently new travel time signage going up around Hampton Roads showing travel times via differing routes to both the Virginia Beach Oceanfront and the Outer Banks.

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/news/viewRelease.cfm?id=1264

I wish they had these when I lived there. A local radio station posted a picture of one on Facebook, and in the comments it appears they're all up. Anybody on here seen them?

Also, the majority of those comments make me lose what little faith I had left in humanity.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Beltway

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 18, 2012, 04:02:42 PM
VDOT and Governor McDonnell announced recently new travel time signage going up around Hampton Roads showing travel times via differing routes to both the Virginia Beach Oceanfront and the Outer Banks.

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/news/viewRelease.cfm?id=1264

I wish they had these when I lived there. A local radio station posted a picture of one on Facebook, and in the comments it appears they're all up. Anybody on here seen them?

Yes, in the D.C. area as well as in the Hampton Roads area. 

They are very helpful, but of course rely on the analysis of Smart Traffic Center personnel.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

I talked to the VDOT Megaprojects office, and the word is that the I-495 Express Lanes will open in entirely on December 10, 2012.  That will include the HOV-to-HOV interchange between the Beltway and Shirley Highway (whose ramps will be untolled).

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/2012/06/western_bypass.html

June 20, 2012
Western Bypass contract awarded
By Sean Tubbs 
Charlottesville Tomorrow
Wednesday, June 20, 2012

RICHMOND – The Commonwealth Transportation Board has officially awarded a $135 million contract to the team of Skanska/Branch Highways to design and build the 6.2-mile [Charlottesville] Western Bypass of U.S. 29 in Albemarle County.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

Where is this going to tie in on the north and south ends?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on June 18, 2012, 09:24:29 PM
I talked to the VDOT Megaprojects office, and the word is that the I-495 Express Lanes will open in entirely on December 10, 2012.  That will include the HOV-to-HOV interchange between the Beltway and Shirley Highway (whose ramps will be untolled).

Much of the work is done - some sections look to be ready for traffic right now.  But  there's still plenty of work to be done in the interchanges at I-66, U.S. 29 (Lee Highway) [brand-new ramps from the northbound toll lanes and to the southbound toll lanes], Va. 267 (Dulles Toll Road), Va. 620 (Braddock Road) and Va. 650 (Gallows Road). 

Order is my guess as to how much work is left, most to least.

1995hoo

When I was through there last week I thought Gallows's new ramp appeared to need a lot more work than 29's. The one at Gallows didn't yet reach road level on the overpass, while the one at 29 did.

The point about the Shirley Highway HOV connections being untolled matches up with what they told me, but I wonder why tolling equipment has been installed on the gantries at the western end of said ramps if there is no toll there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beltway

<<< The point about the Shirley Highway HOV connections being untolled matches up with what they told me, but I wonder why tolling equipment has been installed on the gantries at the western end of said ramps if there is no toll there.  >>>

That is what prompted my inquiry to the project manager, and he told me that it was for monitoring of passes, and to be in place for the future I-95 HOT Lanes project between I-495 and Garrisonville.  He did say no toll until then.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Takumi

Quote from: hbelkins on June 21, 2012, 11:30:25 PM

This was in a link in the article. It's probably an approximation, but the article shows a drawing of the proposed south end of the new bypass pretty much where this picture shows it. It's northeast-southwest.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

The southern end of that bypass is to tie into the current bypass at the existing partial interchange for Leonard Sandridge Boulevard (formerly the North Grounds Connector Road).

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 23, 2012, 08:09:44 AM
The southern end of that bypass is to tie into the current bypass at the existing partial interchange for Leonard Sandridge Boulevard (formerly the North Grounds Connector Road).

Are they still going to build the direct ramps for US-29 through traffic between the existing and extended bypass?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Takumi on June 22, 2012, 05:58:52 PM

This was in a link in the article. It's probably an approximation, but the article shows a drawing of the proposed south end of the new bypass pretty much where this picture shows it. It's northeast-southwest.

This was the project that the Piedmont Environmental Council sued the Federal Highway Administration and VDOT to stop some years ago, right?  And if memory serves, didn't the PEC get blown out of the water?

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 23, 2012, 05:30:10 PM
Quote from: Takumi on June 22, 2012, 05:58:52 PM

This was the project that the Piedmont Environmental Council sued the Federal Highway Administration and VDOT to stop some years ago, right?  And if memory serves, didn't the PEC get blown out of the water?

Southern Environmental Law Center (SELC).

And they did lose on their lawsuit, about 10 years ago.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

I have not driven on the Outer Loop of the Beltway between Van Dorn Street (Exit 173) and the Wilson Bridge since the THRU/LOCAL split was moved west a week or two ago (I was out of town at the time). Yesterday I used the Inner Loop THRU lanes on the way back from Nationals Park (how did I get into the THRU lanes? Stopped at the bank in Old Town and then re-entered the highway via the ramps from US-1) and when I was looking in my mirrors just west of the Eisenhower Connector I noted that there's a new sign on the Outer Loop in advance of the split, a fairly small arrow-per-lane pull-through sign for the Outer Loop THRU lanes. It omits the word "THRU," but it does have what strikes me as a very useful addition–a black-on-yellow banner on the top of the sign reading "NO EXIT IN VIRGINIA." I obviously couldn't get a picture while driving the other way at 65 mph, but maybe I can try this weekend. The sign looks nonstandard in a number of ways, but it also looks like a temporary sign setup until all the work is finished (most notably, the LOCAL carriageway is currently a single lane while they reconfigure it following the THRU carriageway extension).

I've always been somewhat amused by the use of "LAST EXIT IN [STATE]" signs of the sort sometimes seen in New York and New Jersey, as they've often struck me as a bit pretentious. But "NO EXIT IN VIRGINIA" used in conjunction with what are essentially express lanes (using that term in a generic sense, not a technical sense) seems to me to be an excellent idea in this particular circumstance as a way of underscoring to people that they need to use the other lanes if they're headed for Alexandria. I don't know whether they've added anything new to emphasize that I-295 traffic should also use the LOCAL lanes.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 05, 2012, 12:33:35 PM
I have not driven on the Outer Loop of the Beltway between Van Dorn Street (Exit 173) and the Wilson Bridge since the THRU/LOCAL split was moved west a week or two ago (I was out of town at the time). Yesterday I used the Inner Loop THRU lanes on the way back from Nationals Park (how did I get into the THRU lanes? Stopped at the bank in Old Town and then re-entered the highway via the ramps from US-1) and when I was looking in my mirrors just west of the Eisenhower Connector I noted that there's a new sign on the Outer Loop in advance of the split, a fairly small arrow-per-lane pull-through sign for the Outer Loop THRU lanes. It omits the word "THRU," but it does have what strikes me as a very useful addition–a black-on-yellow banner on the top of the sign reading "NO EXIT IN VIRGINIA." I obviously couldn't get a picture while driving the other way at 65 mph, but maybe I can try this weekend. The sign looks nonstandard in a number of ways, but it also looks like a temporary sign setup until all the work is finished (most notably, the LOCAL carriageway is currently a single lane while they reconfigure it following the THRU carriageway extension).

The first signs read "95/495 keep left" and "All Exits Keep Right."  This may not be exact, but I think I am conveying the content correctly.  I don't like the way that these (apparently temporary) signs are worded.

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 05, 2012, 12:33:35 PM
I've always been somewhat amused by the use of "LAST EXIT IN [STATE]" signs of the sort sometimes seen in New York and New Jersey, as they've often struck me as a bit pretentious. But "NO EXIT IN VIRGINIA" used in conjunction with what are essentially express lanes (using that term in a generic sense, not a technical sense) seems to me to be an excellent idea in this particular circumstance as a way of underscoring to people that they need to use the other lanes if they're headed for Alexandria. I don't know whether they've added anything new to emphasize that I-295 traffic should also use the LOCAL lanes.

The "NO EXIT IN VIRGINIA" sign for the THRU lanes is entirely appropriate, in my opinion.

There are (I believe) two supplemental panels informing motorists wanting to exit at Va. 241, U.S. 1 and I-295 to use the LOCAL roadway. 

The only exit from the Outer Loop THRU roadway is to "secret" I-295 south (Md. 210 (Indian Head Highway) south, with one exit to Md. 414 before I-295 ends at Md. 210).

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 05, 2012, 02:19:47 PM
The "NO EXIT IN VIRGINIA" sign for the THRU lanes is entirely appropriate, in my opinion.

I agree, and I was quite surprised to see it because Virginia traditionally does not use any banners of that sort. I didn't expect they'd put up this sort of sign there even though it seems like common-sense. Among other reasons why I thought they wouldn't do it is that the original sign renderings in the Wilson Bridge project information didn't include anything of this sort. I think this is an example where a banner of this sort is more important on the Virginia side than the Maryland side, simply because the Virginia portion of the highway has a much more important destination served (Alexandria) than the Maryland portion (I-295 and maybe National Harbor).

NJRoadfan

I had the pleasure of taking the outer loop "local lane" this morning. A bit tight, although my journey wasn't as smooth as it should have been because some idiot decided to cut across the closed portion of the roadway from the express lanes to exit at Telegraph Rd.

Regarding the "LAST EXIT IN [state]" signs, in NJ a border crossing typically involves a toll bridge and an easy U-Turn likely isn't possible after passing that exit.

Takumi

Henrico's North Gayton Road extension is coming along well.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2012/jul/08/tdmain01-north-gayton-extension-to-transform-short-ar-2041061/

The article says there's no defined opening date, but it looks like it should be open for the Richmond meet in October.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.