News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Admittedly, I don't know. His letter didn't mention an alternative, but, living in his district, I may contact his office to see if he indeed has one. A search of his challenger, Ella Ward, turned up no statements on the issue at all. The same goes for George Allen's opponent, Tim Kaine. The article said the FHWA is expected (by VDOT) to reply by the 21st of this month, so if the proposal is rejected I would imagine alternative funding ideas to surface after that point.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Takumi on September 12, 2012, 12:50:26 PM
Admittedly, I don't know. His letter didn't mention an alternative, but, living in his district, I may contact his office to see if he indeed has one. A search of his challenger, Ella Ward, turned up no statements on the issue at all. The same goes for George Allen's opponent, Tim Kaine. The article said the FHWA is expected (by VDOT) to reply by the 21st of this month, so if the proposal is rejected I would imagine alternative funding ideas to surface after that point.

Too many politicians (in both parties) seem to regard motor fuel tax rates as a "Third Rail" of politics, and I don't like it.  Note that I don't care for politicians that want to increase the rate and divert the resulting increased revenue to toy train projects, which is what more than a few elected officials in Maryland want to do (and some in Virginia,too).

But even worse is the politician who states he is opposed to any increase in the motor fuel tax rate, and then asserts that the shortfall can be made up with tolls, but then opposes tolls, or comes up with watered-down tolling proposals like this one.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

VDOT wants to lower the speed limit on part of US 460 in Prince George County from 55 to 50.
http://www.progress-index.com/news/vdot-recommends-dropping-speed-limit-on-u-s-460-in-pg-county-1.1373711

The article doesn't mentioned when this would be implemented.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

Actually the article states at the end that it would probably be implemented by the end of October. 

My thought on the situation is this:  How is US 460 in Prince George County any less deadly than the same undivided road in Isle of Wight County?  Last I checked US 460 was basically 100% undivided from New Bohemia to Downtown Suffolk.  From looking at VDOT traffic estimates traffic along the corridor until Suffolk is fairly the same.  I just don't understand why only my county is making a huge deal about this just because the most deadly wrecks have been in my county when the whole corridor has the same safety issues.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Takumi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 17, 2012, 12:35:49 AM
Actually the article states at the end that it would probably be implemented by the end of October.
I see that now. Yesterday was a long day :ded:

My thought on the situation is this:  How is US 460 in Prince George County any less deadly than the same undivided road in Isle of Wight County?  Last I checked US 460 was basically 100% undivided from New Bohemia to Downtown Suffolk.  From looking at VDOT traffic estimates traffic along the corridor until Suffolk is fairly the same.  I just don't understand why only my county is making a huge deal about this just because the most deadly wrecks have been in my county when the whole corridor has the same safety issues.

I agree with that sentiment. VDOT should either be recommending to implement this on the entire stretch or just leave it alone. Once the bypass is finally built there would (theoretically) be less traffic on that stretch anyway.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

Here is a Progress-Index article from April 2011 on the subject:

http://progress-index.com/news/report-cutting-u-s-460-speed-limit-wouldn-t-boost-safety-1.1132056

Here VDOT states that it would be better to add signs and police presence than lowering the speed limit(along with flashing yellow lights at the Enterprise Drive(SR 657) intersection(the entrance to the Food Lion Distribution Center).  From what I see lowering the speed limit is more just a "reaction" move than a move for safety.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 18, 2012, 08:47:19 AM
From what I see lowering the speed limit is more just a "reaction" move than a move for safety.

Or perhaps a revenue enhancement feature?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on September 18, 2012, 09:13:08 AM
From what I see lowering the speed limit is more just a "reaction" move than a move for safety.

To its great credit, dollars paid in by persons found guilty of breaking most (state) traffic laws in the Commonwealth of Virginia go to the literacy fund, which buys school textbooks and library books, and obviously does not benefit law enforcement for issuing the summons.

Strangely, this does not apply if a driver is charged with breaking a local traffic law (being a "Dillon Rule" state, I cannot for the life of my understand how Virginia allows its political subdivisions to enact local traffic laws).  Maryland, which usually allows its local governments much more authority to enact laws than Virginia does, expressly forbids local governments from enacting local traffic ordinances (every ticket issued for a "moving" violation is for violating state law).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Beltway

How does lowering a speed limit necessarily cause a net increase in fines?  Or a net increase in tickets handed out, given that the infinitessimal percentage of tickets given out could just as easily decrease?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

Quote from: Beltway on September 20, 2012, 05:43:08 PM

How does lowering a speed limit necessarily cause a net increase in fines?  Or a net increase in tickets handed out, given that the infinitessimal percentage of tickets given out could just as easily decrease?

People will still want to drive at the old limit. Or faster than the new even-lower artificially-set limit.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on September 20, 2012, 07:10:17 PM
Quote from: Beltway on September 20, 2012, 05:43:08 PM

People will still want to drive at the old limit. Or faster than the new even-lower artificially-set limit.

??? What "old limit" and "new even-lower artificially-set limit" are you referring to?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Takumi

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Beltway

Quote from: Takumi on September 20, 2012, 09:32:07 PM
The one mentioned here.

OK ... lowering a speed limit from 55 to 50 won't necessarily lead the police to issue more tickets than before, given that the infinitessimal percentage of tickets given out could just as easily decrease.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

[This might also fit in the new Transit forum, but for now I am posting it here, because it is about Virginia]

WTOP Radio: Long-term plan envisions light rail, bus rapid transit

cpzilliacus

D-Dey65

Hey, somewhere south of Petersburg along I-95, I saw a clearing along a railroad track that crossed underneath I-95. Is this part of some proposed local commuter railroad/rapid transit initiative, or is there some freight spur being planned there or what?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 30, 2012, 09:19:11 AM
Hey, somewhere south of Petersburg along I-95, I saw a clearing along a railroad track that crossed underneath I-95. Is this part of some proposed local commuter railroad/rapid transit initiative, or is there some freight spur being planned there or what?

I saw nothing on the Web site of the Petersburg-Area Metropolitan Planning Organization which would lead me to believe that there is any commuter rail planned for that part of the world (as far as I know, there is no commuter rail service running (or planned) in the Commonwealth of Virginia south of Fredericksburg).

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 30, 2012, 11:01:44 AM

I saw nothing on the Web site of the Petersburg-Area Metropolitan Planning Organization which would lead me to believe that there is any commuter rail planned for that part of the world (as far as I know, there is no commuter rail service running (or planned) in the Commonwealth of Virginia south of Fredericksburg).

I'm not sure where that crossing is, but as someone who lives in central Virginia, I can assure that no commuter rail systems are proposed in the Richmond-Petersburg area.  Light rail has been talked about for Richmond, but no formal studies have been conducted.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

amroad17

If the clearing is along one side of the tracks, it could be for high voltage power lines in that area.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: amroad17 on October 02, 2012, 02:09:33 AM
If the clearing is along one side of the tracks, it could be for high voltage power lines in that area.

Though the demand for new high-voltage transmission capacity in the eastern part of the PJM Interconnection grid (which covers nearly all of Virginia) runs much more east-west, from coal-fired generation in West Virginia and the Ohio River valley to load centers roughly along I-95.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Federal court reviews use of toll money for Dulles rail

QuoteA federal court could ultimately decide how much drivers pay to use the Dulles Toll Road.

QuoteA group called "No Toll Increase" - which has been circulating petitions opposing the use of toll road money to partially finance the Metro expansion to Dulles International Airport - has taken the issue to a federal appellate court.

D-Dey65

Well, just so some of you get the idea, these tracks are north of Wagner Road and south of US 460.

The clearing is on both sides of the tracks, but wider on the north side.

Takumi

There's a depot there on the east side of I-95. My best guess is that the clearing may be for extra track space if ever needed.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.