Songs or albums that are older (10 years on down) that sound modern

Started by RobbieL2415, May 21, 2019, 10:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Some that come to mind for me are:
Lonely Runs Both Ways, Alison Krauss & Union Station (2004)
A Rush of Blood To The Head, Coldplay (2002)
Mama's Gun, Erykah Badu (2000)
Rumors, Fleetwood Mac, 1977
Indigo Girls, Indigo Girls (1989)
Sweet Baby James, James Taylor, 1970
Continuum, John Mayer (2006)
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, Lauryn Hill (1999)
Joshua Judges Ruth, Lyle Lovett (1997)
It Won't Be Soon Before Long, Maroon 5 (2007)
Nickel Creek, Nickel Creek (2000)
Speakerboxx/The Love Below, OutKast (2004)
Heartbreaker, Ryan Adams (2000)
Purple, Stone Temple Pilots (1994)
The Colour of Spring, Talk Talk (1986)

bing101

nexus73

"The White Room" album by KLF always sounds good even if it from almost 30 years ago.  Two different styles in one album make this a special treat.  Here is the most rocking song of the bunch, Last Train To Trancentral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frIUgilfsWA

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

bing101

bandit957

There's this Bruce Cockburn song that appears in some old 'American Top 40' countdowns from the early '80s that actually sounds like something from the early 2000s. I don't ever remember hearing this song growing up, even though it apparently was a pretty big hit.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlS0kJyUVjA

Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians- What I am

This song sounds like it was done in the 1990's but it was done back in 1988.

bing101

Quote from: bandit957 on May 31, 2019, 11:28:46 PM
There's this Bruce Cockburn song that appears in some old 'American Top 40' countdowns from the early '80s that actually sounds like something from the early 2000s. I don't ever remember hearing this song growing up, even though it apparently was a pretty big hit.

bing101

Quote from: bandit957 on May 31, 2019, 11:28:46 PM

Which ones?

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jakeroot

Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 85-92 always sounded way ahead of its time, at least to me. Released in 1992.

https://youtu.be/7bDNX5ZDKdE

Henry

1999, Prince (1982)

Even though the song's namesake year is now 20 years into the past, it still sounds as modern as it did when it was first released. Then again, Prince was always ahead of his time.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

spooky

Quote from: Henry on June 05, 2019, 10:07:22 AM
1999, Prince (1982)

Even though the song's namesake year is now 20 years into the past, it still sounds as modern as it did when it was first released. Then again, Prince was always ahead of his time.

Strange how all the stuff from other artists in the mid-80s that tried to sound like Prince sounds super dated, but the stuff he did from 1982-1984 that they were trying to emulate still sounds fresh.

CNGL-Leudimin

Also Sprach Zarathustra ("Thus spoke Zarathustra"), at least the first part (Sunrise). It sounds modern or even futuristic due to its usage in 2001: A Space Odyssey, but in fact was composed by Richard Strauss in 1896.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

bing101

Tom Petty's Last DJ is modern in terms of its lyrics given how people in 2019 do not listen to radio like they used to back when the song came out in 2002.

berberry

Since this is a road forum, seems appropriate to mention Kraftwerk's 'Autobahn'. I was a 13 year old kid when this came out, and I can't describe how futuristic it sounded. Then the 90s happened and it didn't sound so unusual anymore, but in 1974 I'd never heard anything that sounded remotely like it. I loved it then and still do. If you're not familiar with it, it's a German ode to freeways. If you like it, you should seek out the original album version, which is much longer than this single...

kevinb1994

Quote from: berberry on June 26, 2019, 10:33:14 AM
Since this is a road forum, seems appropriate to mention Kraftwerk's 'Autobahn'. I was a 13 year old kid when this came out, and I can't describe how futuristic it sounded. Then the 90s happened and it didn't sound so unusual anymore, but in 1974 I'd never heard anything that sounded remotely like it. I loved it then and still do. If you're not familiar with it, it's a German ode to freeways. If you like it, you should seek out the original album version, which is much longer than this single...

I'm sure Radiohead would agree with you.

bing101

Wow Calling All Angels by Train sounds modern again due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Except when this song was made in the 2000's when 9/11 was then the biggest event of the era.

Now Train has redone the video  and this time with  an updated scenes over the COVID-19 fallout.

Roadgeekteen

The tiktok song "Get the Gat" is from the early 90s, but it sounds a lot newer.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Quote from: bing101 on April 14, 2020, 10:27:17 PM
Now Train has redone the video  and this time with  an updated scenes over the COVID-19 fallout.

Damn, Monahan still sounds great. Granted, it's been less than 20 years since the original, but that's a long time to lose a voice or develop something debilitating.

Particularly nice about the new version is that it's not wickedly different than the original. Definitely more "unplugged" but still very much in the original's spirit. Still my favorite Train song, and this did it justice.

bing101

John Mayer's Waiting for the World to Change is modern because of its lyrics is true in the 2020's even though the song was made in the 2000's.

bing101

2002 Unwell- Matchbox 20 For the same reason lyrics are depressing but marches with the times.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.