News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Well Florida has a situation where I-295 keeps the same number around the whole loop, but North becomes South and South becomes North on both ends where it meets I-95.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 05, 2022, 09:51:42 AM
Quote from: famartin on January 05, 2022, 07:34:51 AM
Quote from: storm2k on January 04, 2022, 11:38:54 PM
Quote from: famartin on January 04, 2022, 10:10:16 PM
Quote from: storm2k on January 04, 2022, 06:59:55 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 04, 2022, 04:25:23 PM
It is bad the way they did that for sure. The first exit should be Amboy Ave/ NJ 35 North. I agree with Alps on that the U Turn Info should be on a ground mount separately.

The second exit should be NJ 35 South  and NJ 184 West with TO GSP N Bound as a control city.  The pull through should read NJ 440 South to GSP South and maybe Somerville or Morristown as a control city.

This is the worst signing I have ever seen.

I also loathe NJDOT reassigning the directions back in the late eighties from E-W to N-S as well. It worked better as an E-W Route signed. There was no confusion as far as I saw.

Yeah, that change was never great because you have a south to north and north to south direction change between 287 and 440. You can have a route change directions fine. I get that it was to stay contiguous with the New York and northern New Jersey segments, but that's still jarring.

NJDOT is generally loathe to sign any route with more than one direction. 36 and 7 are the only ones I can think of. They should've done that with 295, but alas...

I'm fine with 295 continuing its direction that it's followed for the first 67 miles. It's better than the North to South/South to North transition that used to happen when it just became 95 after the Rt 1 exit.

That's a NJ centric viewpoint. Its really what happens right after it leaves NJ that is a problem... signing a highway which is entirely north-south as east west, just to avoid the situation that existed before (which at least had the advantage of changing route numbers).

There was really no one great option to resign 95. I still personally think it would been better just to do away with an x95 and giving it an x76, which would work as it connects to I-276... when PTC finally get around to completing the interchange that is.
The direction situation could have been solved were NJ willing to sign former I-95 as east-west.  Then NJ could sign their portion is north-south without that issue.  But no, NJ had to have a stick up its rear, and now we have a very north-south route signed east-west in PA to avoid south becoming north and vice-versa at the border.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadsguy

Quote from: vdeane on January 05, 2022, 01:01:16 PM
It is bad the way they did that for sure. The first exit should be Amboy Ave/ NJ 35 North. I agree with Alps on that the U Turn Info should be on a ground mount separately.

The second exit should be NJ 35 South  and NJ 184 West with TO GSP N Bound as a control city.  The pull through should read NJ 440 South to GSP South and maybe Somerville or Morristown as a control city.

I also loathe NJDOT reassigning the directions back in the late eighties from E-W to N-S as well. It worked better as an E-W Route signed. There was no confusion as far as I saw.

Yeah, that change was never great because you have a south to north and north to south direction change between 287 and 440. You can have a route change directions fine. I get that it was to stay contiguous with the New York and northern New Jersey segments, but that's still jarring.

NJDOT is generally loathe to sign any route with more than one direction. 36 and 7 are the only ones I can think of. They should've done that with 295, but alas...

I'm fine with 295 continuing its direction that it's followed for the first 67 miles. It's better than the North to South/South to North transition that used to happen when it just became 95 after the Rt 1 exit.

That's a NJ centric viewpoint. Its really what happens right after it leaves NJ that is a problem... signing a highway which is entirely north-south as east west, just to avoid the situation that existed before (which at least had the advantage of changing route numbers).

There was really no one great option to resign 95. I still personally think it would been better just to do away with an x95 and giving it an x76, which would work as it connects to I-276... when PTC finally get around to completing the interchange that is.
The direction situation could have been solved were NJ willing to sign former I-95 as east-west.  Then NJ could sign their portion is north-south without that issue.  But no, NJ had to have a stick up its rear, and now we have a very north-south route signed east-west in PA to avoid south becoming north and vice-versa at the border.

Alternatively, they could have done what PennDOT wanted to do for a while and extend I-195 around Trenton, cutting 295 back to the 195 interchange. This was also rejected by NJDOT because they didn't want to have to change all the mile markers and renumber all the exits.

They also briefly considered creating a new I-395, presumably completely replacing 295 all the way to the 195 interchange. I only saw mention of this once (I forget where exactly) and dismissed it as a typo until the 2018 "Golden Spike" road meet, when we got to visit the project office and I did indeed see I-395 listed on one of the interchange diagrams.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

famartin

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 05, 2022, 02:21:44 PM

Alternatively, they could have done what PennDOT wanted to do for a while and extend I-195 around Trenton, cutting 295 back to the 195 interchange. This was also rejected by NJDOT because they didn't want to have to change all the mile markers and renumber all the exits.

They also briefly considered creating a new I-395, presumably completely replacing 295 all the way to the 195 interchange. I only saw mention of this once (I forget where exactly) and dismissed it as a typo until the 2018 "Golden Spike" road meet, when we got to visit the project office and I did indeed see I-395 listed on one of the interchange diagrams.

Last I checked, 695 and 895 are both available. 395 doesn't make sense to me given its more of a loop than a spur, at least the section in question. I disliked the 195 idea since then it would have to follow one-lane ramps, which is always a no-no in my book.

295 works fine if you sign it with some sense (north-south in PA, east-west from the river to 1, south-north beyond). Certainly MD and VA have locations where junctions are signed with different cardinal sets along the beltways. Don't see why this is a problem for I-295 north of Trenton, but whatevs.

jeffandnicole

The biggest problem with this is for a driver to continue on 195, one would need to utilize a single lane ramp.  Where this condition exists elsewhere, many people, especially those on this forums, generally disapprove of this type of routing.

I liked this idea.  Creates a half-beltway around Trenton, gives it its own identity, and since most affected exits were going to be renumbered anyway, the only cost difference would've been to anything related from NJ 295's Exit 60 to Exit 67.

I still regret not being able to attend that meet.

roadman65

They should do what VDOT did for the awkward section of I-64 in Chesapeake, VA and just leave off the banners.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Banners? Do you mean compass directions?

LOL Yeah, they could follow German Autobahn practice around the whole region and just show route numbers and lots of city names, without directions. I wonder if that would be better or worse than what exists now.

NJRoadfan

Umm...I'm on I-295. *which direction?* UMM...... Phila?

roadman65

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 05, 2022, 08:39:37 PM
Umm...I'm on I-295. *which direction?* UMM...... Phila?

Hey VDOT uses VA Beach and Richmond.  However Richmond is signed  EB instead of WB as the EB end defaults into NB I-664 which loops back to I-64 in Hampton.

https://goo.gl/maps/Gz5RECwFRd1BAEa58

https://goo.gl/maps/FnCJVMyfUbHwt9Km8
Here's another banner less I-64 assembly.  Add US 17 North to EB unbannered I-64.
Talk about confusing. Yet locals get by.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

This thread's gone all fictional.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on January 05, 2022, 08:49:33 PM

No we are talking about number anomalies on roadways that exist already.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on January 05, 2022, 09:00:16 PM

No, people are throwing around all sorts of ideas about what NJ should do.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/DAnpo79i9fSSYjKZA

This would work on I-295 in Ewing and Lawrence Townships. Use Camden and Philadelphia underneath the shields.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Rothman on January 05, 2022, 09:04:06 PM

Or really, what NJ should have done, and rehashing the same argument from 5 years ago, 3 years ago, 19 months ago, etc..

What no one has proven: Have people have actually been confused about their direction of travel due to the cardinal direction posted.

akotchi

Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

NJRoadfan

Folks tend to forget the Atlantic City Expressway did exactly this. Only recently did it start posting East/West on trailblazers. The shield banners used to say "PHILA" and "SHORE POINTS".

https://goo.gl/maps/jRLK5UkTNRhdoQyo6
https://goo.gl/maps/m6hBv3ZTvsfw64Wm7

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on January 05, 2022, 09:04:06 PM

This does not equate to Fictional. This is trying to solve a real problem on a real road.

storm2k

The only state that ever did that was Connecticut when it signed the original CT Turnpike E-W but even that gave way to N-S cardinals after a while. Plus, 95 would have gone N-S in a general sense if they had built the Somerset Freeway. That would have been a non-starter as 95 is N-S from the Keys to the Canadian border even if it does travel in a more E-W orientation in some sections.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on January 07, 2022, 12:51:46 AM

The only state that ever did that was Connecticut when it signed the original CT Turnpike E-W but even that gave way to N-S cardinals after a while. Plus, 95 would have gone N-S in a general sense if they had built the Somerset Freeway. That would have been a non-starter as 95 is N-S from the Keys to the Canadian border even if it does travel in a more E-W orientation in some sections.

95 between DC and Philly is more East-West than North-South as well. The section in Cecil County MD is almost a wrong way direction as its nearly perfectly East-West there.

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 07, 2022, 01:18:29 AM
Quote from: storm2k on January 07, 2022, 12:51:46 AM

95 between DC and Philly is more East-West than North-South as well. The section in Cecil County MD is almost a wrong way direction as its nearly perfectly East-West there.

That's like I-94 between Chicago and Milwaukee but E- W  running N-S instead. Even with the redundant I-41 to upgrade US 41, I don't think it confuses people either.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 06, 2022, 06:29:05 PM
Folks tend to forget the Atlantic City Expressway did exactly this. Only recently did it start posting East/West on trailblazers. The shield banners used to say "PHILA" and "SHORE POINTS".

https://goo.gl/maps/jRLK5UkTNRhdoQyo6
https://goo.gl/maps/m6hBv3ZTvsfw64Wm7
On the ACE I think cardinal directions together with control cities work just fine. One can argue whether "Atlantic City" is better than "Shore Points", but the former follows the rules whereas the latter does not

roadman65

Atlantic City Expressway needs to update their signs. I don't think they have ever had a major sign replacement ever. Many still use upper case letters on them and the cloverleaf at the Parkway has been long overdue.  Plus the Exit 2 guides with Atlantic City via Black Horse Pike is so old.  Just sign the thing " US 40-322 East- Albany Avenue"  and use Downbeach and Margate City as supplemental control points on separate sign.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

I wouldn't equate the situation with I-95 in CT and I-94 south of Milwaukee with I-295.  Those routes are overall as signed, even if that section doesn't match.  The way I-295 is signed doesn't get you one set of directions on the route (it changes at the border), and it doesn't get you accurate directions (the PA portion is perpendicular to how it's signed).  It doesn't solve anything over signing PA properly and having it be east-west in NJ on the portion that was formerly I-95.  In fact, it makes things worse and pushes the problem from NJ to PA, something that seems to be a trend with this whole affair, going all the way back to the cancellation of the Somerset Freeway.  It basically acts as half a beltway around Trenton, and beltways routinely change directions, for good reason.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.