News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artmalk

It seemed that whoever put up that sign wanted to encourage motorists to avoid the Tappan Zee and choose the less congested Newburgh-Beacon Bridge instead.  Personally, while I think that I-84 is the best option if you are headed to Boston, Tappan Zee to I-95 is a better route to Cape Cod.  So the sign really is not that useful.  Depends where in New England you are going.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on May 18, 2022, 12:55:14 AM
Pretty amazing, actually because most of the signs on 287 north of Exit 14 were installed between 1993-97. The only real replacements were right around Exit 41 for Rt 80 which are much newer but suffering from terrible UV fading on the interstate shields. Signs from 13 down to the Turnpike were pretty much all installed in 1998 (except for the Exit 8 signs which were from around 1994). I've felt like they've held up fine for the most part. NJDOT has done very few replacements over the years, save for signs that got mauled in accidents (except, it seems, for the ground mounts approaching Exit 10 going SB, which have been knocked over multiple times over the years and just put back up) and a couple of overhead structures they needed to replace. I expect that we'll get at least one new sign for Exit 10 NB since the old one was bridge mounted to the River Rd overpass and was taken down. I wonder if a broader signage project is going to eventually be in the works for 287 given that at the northern end of the roadway, most of those signs are rapidly approaching 30 years of age.

The Middlesex and Somerset Counties had diagram signs for decades that only in 1985 got repainted. Yes they were repainted! They were given reflecting green from the old style green used on button copies.  Other than that NJDOT kept them.

The SB guide though for CR 527 in Somerset was never replaced with a new diagramical sign when it got knocked down in the very early eighties.  They used two small guides that were in upper case lettering instead of replacing the guides with another large diagram sign or large standard sign.

Plus in the early eighties only River Road, CR 527, and Weston Canal Road received exit numbers  south of US 22 then but the rest did not get them though US 202 and 206 in Bedminster and Bridgewater got them.

However on another subject at least I-287 was the only one in north  Central Jersey to use square county Route shields instead of street names back in the sixties.  I-78 used road names east of I-287 like Martinsville Road for CR 525 and Hilcrest Road for CR 531.  Then at CR 523 just Oldwick and Whitehouse were signed and even CR 525 on I-287 was signed solely as Mount Airy Road.

Also I never understood why Stelton Road never had been built with a complete interchange from the start. It was only made complete in either the early or mid nineties.   Plus why was South Washington Avenue signed as SB CR 529 from I-287 NB before the current sign installed in Piscataway is another mystery and why no SB I-287 ramp from NB Washington still missing.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/rt46/pdf/Proposed_Improvement_Plan.pdf

Just out of curiosity how much of this is done so far? I know the schedule from NJDOTs page, but would like to know also from a pass by perspective what is been done so far?

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on May 20, 2022, 08:56:16 AM
https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/rt46/pdf/Proposed_Improvement_Plan.pdf

Just out of curiosity how much of this is done so far? I know the schedule from NJDOTs page, but would like to know also from a pass by perspective what is been done so far?

They're getting there, I was last there last summer and I think most/all of the overpasses were in place by then.

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on May 20, 2022, 09:06:12 AM

They're getting there, I was last there last summer and I think most/all of the overpasses were in place by then.

A lot of the major structure work is done, but they still have all manners of lane shifts and stuff. Still a ways to go, but it's getting there. Traffic on 46EB approaching it is as bad as ever tho.

storm2k

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on May 18, 2022, 08:30:33 AM
Quote from: storm2k on May 18, 2022, 12:55:14 AM
Pretty amazing, actually because most of the signs on 287 north of Exit 14 were installed between 1993-97. The only real replacements were right around Exit 41 for Rt 80 which are much newer but suffering from terrible UV fading on the interstate shields. Signs from 13 down to the Turnpike were pretty much all installed in 1998 (except for the Exit 8 signs which were from around 1994). I've felt like they've held up fine for the most part. NJDOT has done very few replacements over the years, save for signs that got mauled in accidents (except, it seems, for the ground mounts approaching Exit 10 going SB, which have been knocked over multiple times over the years and just put back up) and a couple of overhead structures they needed to replace. I expect that we'll get at least one new sign for Exit 10 NB since the old one was bridge mounted to the River Rd overpass and was taken down. I wonder if a broader signage project is going to eventually be in the works for 287 given that at the northern end of the roadway, most of those signs are rapidly approaching 30 years of age.

I mean, the signs for Exit 66 are button copy, so it's likely that those are nearing the end of their lifespan. I forget if the rest of the signs are button copy between NJ 208 and the New York border. Then there is this faded non MUTCD compliant auxiliary sign for I-84 that will probably come down sadly.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0898561,-74.1682396,3a,46.9y,17.11h,90.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4WIMngOpMwR-QYQwifSiMg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Going northbound, everything north of Exit 22 is the 1990s vintage reflective button copy, except for some signs around the exits for Rt 80. SB they're mostly the same except for new signs for Exit 37 all the way to 14A (even though they did the weird replacement of the control city on signs that should not have allowed it). It's how you still have signs like this where they put the CR525 shields with directions and also the Road name with direction. You can also see where the HOV lane sign would have gone, as these were installed when the HOV lane was built, since this was what it took to get a third lane each way north of Exit 22.

roadman65

That's good. At least it's getting there. That particular intersection needed it decades ago.

https://goo.gl/maps/YfBzyQrgR2zj1ES7A
Speaking of Exit 66 signs are they going to remove the center panel here. Route 17 no longer exits in 1 mile like it once did.

Also a question. Why didn't engineers connect NJ 17 South with a direct ramp. Why the long switchback and u turn to cross I-287 south to get there?  Considering Mahwah is been the controlling interest of guide signs from the start, it seems like it got the back seat on direct access.  Ditto for NJ 17 north to I-287 south. That long ramp is really too much otherwise. Yes the merge on the SB side is needed way before the left exit to safely move traffic across a busy freeway, but the direct ramp would have made more sense, or even a ramp to US 202 North a mile back for interest to both Mahwah and NJ 17.

Sheryl Crowe

interstate73

Quote from: roadman65 on May 20, 2022, 11:13:16 PM

That's good. At least it's getting there. That particular intersection needed it decades ago.

Speaking of Exit 66 signs are they going to remove the center panel here. Route 17 no longer exits in 1 mile like it once did.

Also a question. Why didn't engineers connect NJ 17 South with a direct ramp. Why the long switchback and u turn to cross I-287 south to get there?  Considering Mahwah is been the controlling interest of guide signs from the start, it seems like it got the back seat on direct access.  Ditto for NJ 17 north to I-287 south. That long ramp is really too much otherwise. Yes the merge on the SB side is needed way before the left exit to safely move traffic across a busy freeway, but the direct ramp would have made more sense, or even a ramp to US 202 North a mile back for interest to both Mahwah and NJ 17.

I know this stretch of 287 was wildly controversial when proposed, so I would assume any strange design choices were aimed at mollifying angry locals/environmentalists and minimizing impact on the surrounding landscape and community
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

famartin

Technically it does, since the ramp from I-287 northbound to I-87 northbound carries the designation of NY 17, and that ramp is 1 mile ahead.

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on May 20, 2022, 11:26:39 PM

Technically it does, since the ramp from I-287 northbound to I-87 northbound carries the designation of NY 17, and that ramp is 1 mile ahead.

It still should be moved to the left panel though being it concurs onto I-87.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on May 21, 2022, 12:30:45 AM
Quote from: famartin on May 20, 2022, 11:26:39 PM

It still should be moved to the left panel though being it concurs onto I-87.
It should be signed with an NY outline.

TheGrassGuy

It's been a while, but have we talked about how the empty gantries on I-287 for never-built HOV lanes have been taken down?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Alps

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on May 21, 2022, 04:41:12 PM
It's been a while, but have we talked about how the empty gantries on I-287 for never-built HOV lanes have been taken down?
oh finally? cool. but no, the HOV lanes were built. they were then converted to the 3rd general purpose lane in each direction.

Declan127

Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

roadman65

Quote from: Declan127 on May 22, 2022, 07:22:08 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9237369,-75.0906185,3a,15y,192.44h,91.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTH7xjDS6P1Xl8ZE_XhEliw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I mean if we're
talking about signs...

That's DRTJ signage copying an old US 611 shield that never got removed when AASHTO decommissioned it in 1972 form NJ and the system.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Quote from: Alps on May 21, 2022, 11:59:27 PM
oh finally? cool. but no, the HOV lanes were built. they were then converted to the 3rd general purpose lane in each direction.

Why?  So many violators that NJDOT gave up and made the lanes GP?  Or overall traffic volumes?

Alps

Quote from: ixnay on May 24, 2022, 08:25:21 AM

Why?  So many violators that NJDOT gave up and made the lanes GP?  Or overall traffic volumes?
yes

ixnay

Quote from: Alps on May 24, 2022, 04:32:30 PM

yes

Yes to what?  Too many HOV violators to make enforcement worthwhile, or traffic volume?

NJRoadfan

Back in 1998, a prominent Star-Ledger columnist started a letter writing campaign to have the HOV restrictions removed from I-287 and I-80. Apparently there are some clauses in the federal funding laws used for HOV lane expansion that you can get the HOV restrictions removed but keep the funding. The lanes going unused and proving to be ineffective was one of the clauses and NJDOT managed to convince the feds.

Declan127

Quote from: roadman65 on May 24, 2022, 06:56:15 AM
Quote from: Declan127 on May 22, 2022, 07:22:08 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9237369,-75.0906185,3a,15y,192.44h,91.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTH7xjDS6P1Xl8ZE_XhEliw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I mean if we're
talking about signs...

That's DRTJ signage copying an old US 611 shield that never got removed when AASHTO decommissioned it in 1972 form NJ and the system.
The old shield is why I went onto maps- I wasn't expecting a shield that looks straight out of Florida (if 611 had been in said state) but from non-state agencies I expect nothing less.
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

NJRoadfan

odditude

Quote from: ixnay on May 24, 2022, 05:12:58 PM
Quote from: Alps on May 24, 2022, 04:32:30 PM

yes

Yes to what?  Too many HOV violators to make enforcement worthwhile, or traffic volume?

it's a snarky way of saying "both" or "all of the above".

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 24, 2022, 05:17:34 PM
Back in 1998, a prominent Star-Ledger columnist started a letter writing campaign to have the HOV restrictions removed from I-287 and I-80. Apparently there are some clauses in the federal funding laws used for HOV lane expansion that you can get the HOV restrictions removed but keep the funding. The lanes going unused and proving to be ineffective was one of the clauses and NJDOT managed to convince the feds.
this is a better explanation than my yes (:

jeffandnicole

NJDOT will have a public meeting for replacing the US 130 South Bridge over Assiscunk Creek.  This is the very northern part of the US 130 split thru Burlington.

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/uploads/comm/pubmeet/details/Handbook_20220517_123702_Route130SBoverAssiscunkBridgePICFlyer-FINAL.pdf

The interesting part here is regarding the detour. They will utilize the long-abandoned bridge that used to be US 130 North long ago! https://goo.gl/maps/2nQBSAgVu1bKyooD9  Based on some historicaerials imagery, this bridge was built prior to 1931, and last used for vehicular traffic sometime between 1959 & 1962.  Never fully closed off, it can still be walked across.  After a portion of the new US 130 SB overpass is built, traffic will utilize the new bridge.  That will presumably be the last hurrah for the old bridge, which I expect will be demolished to make way for the rest of the new overpass.

Construction isn't schedule to begin until at least 2026, so plenty of time to check it out.

kernals12

Why doesn't NJDOT do some access management on its Jersey Freeways? On NJ 3, for example, between Bloomfield and Passaic avenues, there are a bunch of businesses with driveway curb cuts onto the freeway that already have access on Allwood Road

Why not just close those off?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.