News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cleveland Opportunity Corridor

Started by ysuindy, June 02, 2014, 10:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysuindy

3.5 mile boulevard to link I-490 to University Circle

4-5 lane, $331 million project receives FHA approval

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/05/opportunity_corridor_gets_fede.html

exit10

I've seen worse ideas, I guess. If the point was just to get suburbanites to Case, the Clinic, and museums faster, they should have just said so. The rhetoric of economic revitalization via road construction in an area that is so far gone is comical at best and horribly disingenuous at worst.

When the road opens, they're not literally going to call it "The Opportunity Corridor," are they? Being an intra-city route, it probably won't get a number.

vtk

Quote from: ysuindy on June 02, 2014, 10:54:24 PM
4-5 lane, $331 million project receives FHA approval

Since when does the Federal Housing Administration approve roads?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

froggie

Wouldn't be the first time someone used FHA to refer to Federal Highway...

thenetwork

Quote from: exit10 on June 03, 2014, 12:29:53 AM
I've seen worse ideas, I guess. If the point was just to get suburbanites to Case, the Clinic, and museums faster, they should have just said so. The rhetoric of economic revitalization via road construction in an area that is so far gone is comical at best and horribly disingenuous at worst.

When the road opens, they're not literally going to call it "The Opportunity Corridor," are they? Being an intra-city route, it probably won't get a number.

Knowing Cleveland, the new road will ultimately be limited to a very low speed limit with speed &/or red light cameras at every other intersection...That's where the "Opportunity Corridor" name kicks in!

Brandon

Quote from: thenetwork on June 03, 2014, 12:02:17 PM

Knowing Cleveland, the new road will ultimately be limited to a very low speed limit with speed &/or red light cameras at every other intersection...That's where the "Opportunity Corridor" name kicks in!

Their opportunity...to fleece you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

thenetwork

It would be nice if ODOT moved SR-87's alignment onto the OC between Buckeye Road and the I-77/I-490 stack, if only for the sake of guiding unfamiliar motorists the quickest way from just south and west of downtown to University Circle, Shaker Heights and points east (and avoiding most of the ghetto of the near-east side).  There is really no sense in having SR-87 in a triple-plex along Woodland/Orange Avenue with US-422 and SR-8 all the way to Public Square.  In fact, it was only about 10 years ago when ODOT finally re-recognized and re-signed SR-87 along the 422/8 duplex (while at the same time, replacing the last of the old cut-out shields in the Cleveland area).

exit10

Quote from: thenetwork on June 03, 2014, 05:21:53 PM
It would be nice if ODOT moved SR-87's alignment onto the OC between Buckeye Road and the I-77/I-490 stack

Or better yet, why not make the whole thing US 322? But your point stands about WAY too many routes ending at Public Square.

thenetwork

Quote from: exit10 on June 06, 2014, 12:20:34 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on June 03, 2014, 05:21:53 PM
It would be nice if ODOT moved SR-87's alignment onto the OC between Buckeye Road and the I-77/I-490 stack

Or better yet, why not make the whole thing US 322? But your point stands about WAY too many routes ending at Public Square.

And the majority of the routes which run south and east of Public Square past the Innerbelt either don't have direct, convenient access to the Innerbelt or are not even signed on the interstate for the convenience of drivers.

Buck87

Buck87

There are 3 sections for this project:

Section 1 involves work on the existing E. 105th Street, and should be done later this year
Section 2 is a short section of the new corridor, and is scheduled to be done by the end of next year.
Section 3 is the rest of the new corridor and is scheduled to start construction later this year and be done in 2020.

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/ClevelandUrbanCoreProjects/OpportunityCorridor/NewsandInformation/Pages/Construction-Sections.aspx

The Ghostbuster

This project has interested me, though I disagree with making it part of SR 10. For continuity sake, I'd number the roadway SR 490.

Buck87

Ohio doesn't do state route numbers that are already taken by interstates or US routes

The Ghostbuster

Wisconsin doesn't either, except for Interstate/WIS 794. I guess if I wanted Interstate/State Highway combos, I'd go to New York.

dvferyance

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 09, 2017, 05:06:14 PM
Wisconsin doesn't either, except for Interstate/WIS 794. I guess if I wanted Interstate/State Highway combos, I'd go to New York.
Well almost there still is WI-39 which I wish they would renumber. Missouri was also that way as well but it looks like MO-49 is staying after I-49 came in.

exit10

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 08, 2017, 03:28:49 PM
This project has interested me, though I disagree with making it part of SR 10. For continuity sake, I'd number the roadway SR 490.

SR 10 joins the list of completely non-intuitive urban route alignments that Ohio seemingly loves so dearly.

thenetwork

Does this mean that I-490 would be officially truncated to I-77?  Wouldn't be much of an issue, given that I-490 ENDS signs appear prior to I-77 as it is now.

PurdueBill

A map from a presentation showed 10 being extended down Orange, merging onto 77 then exiting where one exits for 55th Street, then 490 being extended past 55th to where 10 merges in, probably depending on what configuration the Corridor/55th interchange requires (it won't be the existing signal but an interchange, either with braided ramps, the access from 77 being part of a split diamond shared with 55th, or who knows.  So 490 may actually gain a little distance if 10 is involved, so everything has a number.

Buck87

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 12, 2017, 09:26:47 PM
probably depending on what configuration the Corridor/55th interchange requires (it won't be the existing signal but an interchange, either with braided ramps, the access from 77 being part of a split diamond shared with 55th, or who knows.

Where are you seeing that? In the animation video above and the current project overview and construction pages, the connection from E. 55th to the Corridor/490 is just a single 2-way curved connection road with signals at both ends.

Buck87

and here's another video they made showing a traffic simulation there
(though I will point out that this was made 5 years ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk9Io8q_58w

PurdueBill

The single connector roadway is much simpler than any of the original interchange alternatives (braided, adapted split diamond, "parkway interchange") that were in a late 2013 presentation, but the single connector roadway does appear in the map/schematic that shows 490 being extended to the connector roadway intersection with 10 being extended the length of the Corridor.  Who knows if they will pursue the SR 10 designation in the end, although it would be reasonable if it is to be intended to reroute traffic that would use 55th and Cedar or something before.

thenetwork

So how far will SR-10 officially be extended to?  University Circle area US-20/US-322?  or will they consider extending SR-10 further north via E. 105th St or MLK Boulevard up to the I-90/East Shoreway area?

As a former Clevelander who found it easy to get confused with getting from one street to another in the University Circle area (due to several one-way arterial roads and quick street changes), it would make sense to have SR-10 become a signed "loop" or "belt route" connecting the Shoreway/I-90 to I-490 via University Circle. 

The problem you have there now is that, say (for example) if you are at the mega-size Cleveland Clinic facility near the Circle and are trying to access one of Cleveland's freeways:  If you wrongly take one of the 3 most-popular paralleling East-West streets (Carnegie, Euclid, Chester), you may totally miss the correct freeway & direction you want to reach once you get into Downtown as not all 3 have direct connections to on-ramps.  Once the SR-10/University Corridor is finished it will make things easier as well as provide a bypass for Downtown.   

But as for the 3 popular North-South streets which come out of the U. Circle area (E. 105, MLK Blvd., East Blvd.), only one truly has a direct connection to I-90/East Shoreway -- but for cars only (MLK/No Trucks).  Trucks and other large vehicles must use E. 105 and then find connecting roads to reach the I-90 on-ramps somewhere while East Blvd ends up winding through the 'hood.  Maybe by extending SR-10 up E.105 to Eddy Road or E.72 via St. Clair could make for a clearer route into & through University Circle for unfamiliar travelers in that part of town.  It would be nice to have a signed North-South route in that neck of the woods. 

Or designate a totally different North-South state route number (or relocate/re-align SR-8) that would connect I-90 to the US-422/SR-87 Shaker Square area via University Circle.  That's another area between 2 points that is very easy to get lost in if you don't know the right combo of streets to take.  This whole area is one that if you go one or two blocks off the main roads you are in no-man's land.

Buck87

Drove the construction zone on E. 105th today, where they are currently doing some heavy work starting just south of Chester Ave (the southbound lanes are totally dug up for a complete rebuild.) A little further south there are a few blocks of E. 105th that look mostly done, with new curbs and turn lanes in place, and then the last few short blocks of section 1 have some work still going on the.

The one part of section 2 that includes part of existing E. 105th will be a replacement of the current bridge over the RTA Red Line/Norfolk Southern, and so far nothing has started on that. Though other section 2 work is visibly underway, as grading on the new corridor can be seen extending off to the southwest from the end of E. 105th at Quincy Ave.

I didn't drive past much of the section 3 corridor, though on the little bits I did cross on E. 93rd and Woodland Ave there were properties that had been cleared. Work is due to start on section 3 this summer.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I guess this is an update on the "Opportunity Corridor"
when-will-the-opportunity-corr.htm

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/news/erry-2018/08/65be6088e17698/when-will-the-opportunity-corr.html

Hopefully adding a L will make the link work now
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Buck87

I'm getting a 404 message on that link

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.