News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ohio going to 75 mph?

Started by 6a, March 16, 2015, 06:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6a

This article suggests just that. Although not in this text, the provision brings back the 8,000lb dual speed limit setup.

I'm down with the plan in general and while I hate the dual speed limits, a good many trucks these days are governed to what seems like 64.9995. Another part of the bill would ban left lane driving except for exiting and passing. Not going to argue one ounce on that part.

02 Park Ave

That left lane ban would certainly be a radical change.

"drunks"?
C-o-H

6a

Haha whoops. Trucks, not drunks 

jeffandnicole

I'm impressed with Ohio.  It wasn't all that long ago that they wouldn't budge from the 65/55 limit.  In a relatively short period of time, they've gone up to 70, and at least are discussing 75.

cl94

People go 75 anyway, so it only makes sense. The 85th percentile speed barely budged when it went up to 70. Heck, I was on I-90 2 days ago and, heading EB at SR 44 (where the limit goes from 65 to 70), the speed of traffic remained constant at 76.

Again, don't like the dual speed limits, but it makes a little sense. Trucks typically aren't the particularly slow ones- it's the minivans and old people.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Henry

That is some news! And IIRC, would this be the easternmost state to have a 75 MPH speed limit? The reason I'm saying this is because you'd expect to see that limit in the Western states where the population is lower and congestion is not as bad.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cl94

Quote from: Henry on March 17, 2015, 12:29:12 PM
That is some news! And IIRC, would this be the easternmost state to have a 75 MPH speed limit? The reason I'm saying this is because you'd expect to see that limit in the Western states where the population is lower and congestion is not as bad.

Nope. Maine is 75, though mostly (if not entirely) in The County.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

1995hoo

Quote from: cl94 on March 17, 2015, 12:32:41 PM
Quote from: Henry on March 17, 2015, 12:29:12 PM

Nope. Maine is 75, though mostly (if not entirely) in The County.

I believe the statute they passed a year or two ago allows 75-mph speed limits on all Interstates but that no new segments were posted at anything higher than 70 mph following enactment of that law (i.e., the 75-mph segment you mentioned remains the only one).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

swbrotha100

I think a bill in Florida failed to bump the speed limit from 70 to 75.

1995hoo

Quote from: swbrotha100 on March 17, 2015, 01:13:44 PM
I think a bill in Florida failed to bump the speed limit from 70 to 75.

Correct, the governor vetoed it.

vtk

I'm indifferent on 75 vs 70 MPH. Most of my rural freeway driving is for work, and we're limited (by rule, not governor) to 70 MPH anyway. Maybe I'd like to go faster in my personal car, but 70 doesn't seem too slow.

The bit about split limits worries me, though. When trucks were limited to 55, the nobody but the truckers used the right lane. If there were only two lanes, that meant everyone else was stuck in the left lane at whatever speed was preferred by the slow driver in the front of the pack, usually a few MPH below the (then 65 MPH) limit.  Now, those slower drivers actually use the right lane and let others pass, because the trucks aren't slowing down the whole right lane.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Sykotyk

Quote from: vtk on March 17, 2015, 05:22:47 PM
I'm indifferent on 75 vs 70 MPH. Most of my rural freeway driving is for work, and we're limited (by rule, not governor) to 70 MPH anyway. Maybe I'd like to go faster in my personal car, but 70 doesn't seem too slow.

The bit about split limits worries me, though. When trucks were limited to 55, the nobody but the truckers used the right lane. If there were only two lanes, that meant everyone else was stuck in the left lane at whatever speed was preferred by the slow driver in the front of the pack, usually a few MPH below the (then 65 MPH) limit.  Now, those slower drivers actually use the right lane and let others pass, because the trucks aren't slowing down the whole right lane.

Exactly, the split speed limit has got to go. It's good that Texas and most of Illinois has gotten rid of them.

Henry

Quote from: Sykotyk on March 17, 2015, 09:16:32 PM
Quote from: vtk on March 17, 2015, 05:22:47 PM

Exactly, the split speed limit has got to go. It's good that Texas and most of Illinois has gotten rid of them.
I agree with that assessment.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

02 Park Ave

:clap:75 mph passed the Senate with no dissenting votes.😊
C-o-H

Buck87

I like the idea of going up to 75, but I agree that it shouldn't come at the expense of going back to the split limits, especially when it's only a few years after finally getting rid of them.

02 Park Ave

As I understand it, split speeds were not included.  75 for everyone!
C-o-H

1995hoo

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 18, 2015, 05:07:38 PM

It still has to go back to the House, right? I believe I read the Senate bill was an amended version of what the House passed and the speed limit increase wasn't in the House bill?

vtk

To be fair, I'm not sure split limits would be as bad at 75/70 as they were at 65/55.  But I'd rather not have to find out.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Buck87

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 18, 2015, 05:22:19 PM

It still has to go back to the House, right? I believe I read the Senate bill was an amended version of what the House passed and the speed limit increase wasn't in the House bill?

It'll now go to a conference committee to work out the differences between the House and Senate versions of the bill.

Quote from: vtk on March 18, 2015, 05:23:38 PM
To be fair, I'm not sure split limits would be as bad at 75/70 as they were at 65/55.  But I'd rather not have to find out.

Yeah, with so many semis governed to 60something, I suppose it wouldn't have made a huge difference anyway. But I'm still glad the split limit idea was removed.

6a

:clap:75 mph passed the Senate with no dissenting votes.

Yeah, the House Speaker is getting cold feet about the idea but said something like "let's see the Senate's info."

1995hoo

Quote from: Buck87 on March 18, 2015, 05:43:43 PM

It'll now go to a conference committee to work out the differences between the House and Senate versions of the bill.

So if it's like Congress, both houses will then have to vote again on the compromise bill. Thanks.

Buck87

Yep, and they can't amend it any further.

Also, once it gets to the governor, he has line item veto power.

6a

I suppose it was wishful thinking, but the provision got pulled from the budget bill today.

02 Park Ave

After being approved unanimously in the Senate?
C-o-H

Buck87

Oh well. I guess it was probably too much too soon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.