News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Names other than the actual one for a business you have worked for or patronize

Started by roadman65, December 05, 2015, 08:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

When I was younger and worked at the now defunct Steak & Ale Restaurant we employees used to call it "Ache and Stale" to be humorous.

Then one user on here who does not like Golden Corral calls it "Olden Corral."

The list continues as some Disney employees like to call its Florida Theme Park known as The Magic Kingdom as the "Tragic Kingdom."  Plus, I like to call the Aramark Uniform Company as "Arafuck Uniform Company" as I hated that company as they treated both their customers and workers like shit.  Aramark was the worst employer I ever had and would never get a uniform through them if they survived Armageddon.
Then my best friend in High School used to call McDonalds"McMac" as it was his favorite (and still is his favorite)eatery as well as another friend called it "McBlues" as he does not really care for the fast food nonesense.

What other names do you give common businesses or employers company names that you hated to work for?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

I had McDonald's as Mac and Don's
Walmart as Wally World
Hardee's as Hardly's

bandit957

Steak 'n' Shake is called Mistake 'n' Shake.

McDonald's has a bunch of names. Some kid in grade school called it McDoodle's. I sometimes call it Ron McDon, because one time in gym class in grade school, there was some kid named Ron who annoyed some other kid, causing him to say, "Stop it, Ron McDon!"

In my youth, I used to have a lot of parodies for commercial slogans that I came up with after hearing them for the first time. Here's some of them...

Campbell's: "Soup is good food" became "Poop is good food."

U.S. Army: "Be all that you can be" became "Pee all that you can pee."

NAPA: "All the right parts in all the right places" became "All the right farts in all the right faces."

Holiday Inn: "#1 in people pleasin'" became "#1 in people peein'."

Kroger: "Cut your cost at Kroger" became "Cut a fart at Kroger."

Bubble Yum: "Keeps it poppin'" became "Keeps it poopin'".

There was also a commersh for Pizza Quick Sauce where they sang, "Open a jar of Pizza Quick Sauce and open your own pizzeria." I always used to sing, "Open your own diarrhea."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

There's a lot of gum commercials that I parodied. I remember the Care-Free gum commersh where the song that went "means no sugar when you chew" became "means no boogers when you poo."

Around the time I was in college, there was the Wrigley's commersh that had giant black letters on the screen on a white background, like the old "Frankie Say Relax" shirts. Then they said "Pure chewing satisfaction", and I always said "Pure pooing satisfaction."

All of these parodies were hilarious just because of their sheer immaturity. They were kind of predictable, but still funny. Sort of like how when you see a pie in a sitcom, you know right were it's going to end up, but it's still funny after the millionth time.

allniter89

Waffle House is frequently called Awful House sometimes referring to the food. They're an entertaining place after the bars close as all the drunks come in to eat & make fools of themselves. There's usually a fight or two, someone pukes & someone tries to leave w/out paying their bill. I was 3rd shift cook for a couple years, it was quite a show.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

bandit957

Quote from: allniter89 on December 05, 2015, 10:21:01 PM
Waffle House is frequently called Awful House sometimes referring to the food. They're an entertaining place after the bars close as all the drunks come in to eat & make fools of themselves. There's usually a fight or two, someone pukes & someone tries to leave w/out paying their bill. I was 3rd shift cook for a couple years, it was quite a show.

Huddle House is often called Puddle House.

vtk

My group of friends frequently gets late night food at Steak 'n' Screw.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Jardine

Related:

several places I'm aware of (1 I worked at) if the company logo is in any way circular in appearance, it's referred to as "The Meatball".

Additionally, one place I worked at made components for the bomb racks on some military aircraft.  We took to calling the device "Dial-a-bomb".  While all of us who worked on it thought it was hysterical, the Air Force had a completely different viewpoint.  :confused:

We even made our own logo, it was a big juicy turd headed for a fan.

That went over even less favorably . . . .

US71

Awful Waffle (Waffle House)

There's also I-Hop (while hopping on one foot)

McDemon's

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

DaBigE

Picket and Slave (Pick 'n Save)
My nards smell (Menards)
Expect more, find less or Save more by finding less (twist on Target's "Expect more, spend less" slogan)
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

bandit957

jwolfer

oscar

Quote from: DaBigE on December 05, 2015, 11:22:22 PM
Expect more, find less or Save more by finding less (twist on Target's "Expect more, spend less" slogan)

And Target's name, at least in my metro area, is often mispronounced "Tar-zhay" as if it were a French word, in keeping with its image/pretense of being one notch above Wal-Mart.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kurumi

Let's Make Some Coffee (Lockheed Missiles and Space Corp.)
People Walking Around (Pratt & Whitney Aircraft)
Stupid Tea (a pearl tea place with 痴茶 in the name; the owner said it meant "crazy about making good tea")
Satanic Row (Santana Row, an upscale shopping center)

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

DaBigE

Quote from: oscar on December 05, 2015, 11:58:24 PM
And Target's name, at least in my metro area, is often mispronounced "Tar-zhay" as if it were a French word, in keeping with its image/pretense of being one notch above Wal-Mart.

Forgot about that one...I do that myself from time to time. :)

As far as "mispronunciations" go, at one point I overheard the conversation:
Lady 1: "Let's go to Target."
Lady 2: "What's Target? Is it similar to the store 'Bull's-eye Target'?"
:pan:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Alps

North NJ common ones:
OHOP = Original Pancake House
The Roach = Golden Touch Diner (since replaced, will always be the Roach though)

noelbotevera

wanderer2575

lordsutch

People in Ocala used to call the local newspaper, the Ocala Star-Banner, the "Star Blunder." When I interned there for a couple of years in high school, they were not amused when that accidentally slipped out.

In the same vein as Tar-zhay, I've heard JC Penney referred to as "Jacques Pené."

My colleagues have a habit of calling a local Mexican restaurant, El Sombrero, "The Hat."

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on December 06, 2015, 12:50:39 AM
North NJ common ones:
OHOP = Original Pancake House
The Roach = Golden Touch Diner (since replaced, will always be the Roach though)

When some wise guy bent over the end of a little green sign with an arrow pointing off the Oradell Ave. exit of Route 17, the locally famous Fireplace restaurant amusingly became the "Replace."

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

1995hoo

The now long-defunct Super Fresh grocery store in Charlottesville was often called "Stupid Fresh."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bandit957

Brian556

My mother has always called McDonalds "McDoodoo's"

Jack In The Box - we sometimes call it Jackoff in the Box.

Taco Bell: Toxic Hell, Taco Smell

jp the roadgeek

Burger King: Burger Doodle
Taco Bell: Toxic Smell, Taco Snatch
Roy Rogers: Trigger Burger
And, in tribute to my grandmother....Dairy Queen: Dairy Dream, Sears: Searobock
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.