News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Names other than the actual one for a business you have worked for or patronize

Started by roadman65, December 05, 2015, 08:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Target in a really bad neighborhood I traversed once upon a time:  Targhetto

What the worst and most lazy person I ever met called Applebee's:  Crapplebee's

Zeffy

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 28, 2016, 03:14:06 PM
Massachusetts Institute of Technology -> Horrible current generation teenagers
New York City -> New Fork City

...What?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

slorydn1

Quote from: vtk on February 28, 2016, 02:34:38 PM
My grampa worked for GM for 40 years, so of course I grew up knowing "Found On Road Dead" and "Fix Or Repair Daily". I've also heard "F*cker Only Runs Downhill", and one that I won't repeat because it's positive for the brand.

You mean First On Race Day. There, I said it for you. :sombrero:
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

noelbotevera

Quote from: Zeffy on February 29, 2016, 07:09:43 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on February 28, 2016, 03:14:06 PM
Massachusetts Institute of Technology -> Horrible current generation teenagers
New York City -> New Fork City

...What?
I'm an idiot...those aren't businesses!!

OracleUsr

Several:

The Burger King on Battleground in Greensboro, NC, was known at my alma mater as the "BK Lounge"

Not to mention the nicknames of several Harris Teeter stores (Taj Mateeter, Trump Teeter, etc.)
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

kkt

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

slorydn1

Quote from: OracleUsr on February 29, 2016, 08:54:46 PM
Several:

The Burger King on Battleground in Greensboro, NC, was known at my alma mater as the "BK Lounge"

Not to mention the nicknames of several Harris Teeter stores (Taj Mateeter, Trump Teeter, etc.)

Or Hairy Tweezer over here in eastern NC.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

catch22

A good friend of mine refers to "Indiana University - Purdue University at Indianapolis" (IUPUI) as "Ooey Pooey."

paulthemapguy

Quote from: bandit957 on December 05, 2015, 09:36:03 PM
Steak 'n' Shake is called Mistake 'n' Shake.
(old quote is old)

AWESOME!  So I'm not the only one who has made this joke!

McDonald's is Mack Daddy's.  Wendy's is "Freckle-b**ch's", a reference to the Saints Row games.
DSW is "Dick Suck Warehouse."  Wal-Mart is Wallyworld (hardly original).    Chipotle is "Chipottle" (rhymes with bottle).  Applebee's is Crapplebee's.  Taco Bell is Taco Hell (not original either).  Cracker Barrel is Crapper Barrel.  And BP is "bull piss."
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Buck87

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 28, 2016, 08:01:42 PM
Target in a really bad neighborhood I traversed once upon a time:  Targhetto

I've heard the same for Kroger (Kroghetto)

noelbotevera

Using actual business names this time:

Pizza Hut -> Pizza Stuff (it's not even real pizza)
Wendy's -> Weenies (small portions man)
McDonalds -> FuckDonalds (excuse my profane language, but their food is so bad I had to do that)

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Henry

Wells Fargo=Wells Farstop
Bank of America=Bank of Amerifraud
BB&T=BS&P
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Zeffy

Capital One = Crapital None (thanks to how I was treated applying for a basic ass credit card)

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

kkt

Quote from: Zeffy on March 03, 2016, 10:57:35 PM
Capital One = Crapital None (thanks to how I was treated applying for a basic ass credit card)

They were doing you a favor.  They don't treat their longtime customers any better than applicants no credit history.

Henry

Quote from: kkt on March 03, 2016, 11:31:06 PM

They were doing you a favor.  They don't treat their longtime customers any better than applicants no credit history.

:rofl: Totally forgot about that one!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

slorydn1

Oh and how did we forget those college degrees (for those who have passed a scientific course of study):

Bull Shit
More Shit
Piled higher and Deeper

cl94

Alright, some New York ones:

-Price Chopper: Ghetto Chopper.  A Google Maps search for "ghetto chopper" brings you to the one on Delaware Avenue in Albany.
-New Way Lunch (hot dog place in Glens Falls/Queensbury/Lake George): Dirty John's. Hot dogs are referred to as "dirt dogs" by locals.
-Hot Dog Charlie's and Famous Lunch (Troy/Capital District): I've heard it referred to as "hairy arms" from how hot dogs used to be lined up one's arms to put sauce on
-Six Flags Great Escape: Storyland (name before the company that is now Six Flags bought it)
-BW3: Buffalo Wild Wings. Used to be "...and Weck", hence the "W3"
-Walmart: "Smallmart" for small locations in Buffalo, specifically the Lancaster Supercenter that is smaller than a typical non-Supercenter location.
-First Niagara Center: F'N Center
-Cumberland Farms: Cumbies
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Zeffy

Quote from: kkt on March 03, 2016, 11:31:06 PM

Which is unfortunate, because the reviews for almost all of their credit cards were at least 4 1/4 stars or higher... I went to US Bank instead and they accommodated me nicely.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on March 04, 2016, 03:07:35 PM

-Six Flags Great Escape: Storyland (name before the company that is now Six Flags bought it)

I believe there was a period where it was just The Great Escape (after Storyland, before Six Flags).  I visited it for the first time during that period.  Had a green coaster out front with a few inversions.  Forget what it was called (I don't believe it's still there).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Rothman on March 05, 2016, 12:20:22 AM

I believe there was a period where it was just The Great Escape (after Storyland, before Six Flags).  I visited it for the first time during that period.  Had a green coaster out front with a few inversions.  Forget what it was called (I don't believe it's still there).

The Steamin Demon I think it was called. My dad rode it, but I was only 8 and I didn't.  Used to go there when I was a kid and The Great Escape name was still new.

BTW, I still call Six Flags New England Riverside Park.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

noelbotevera

Hersheypark -> Adverts Park (basically a large advertisement scheme to get people to love Hershey's chocolate. Propaganda is all over the place. great roller coasters and park overall though)

cl94

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 05, 2016, 12:18:26 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 05, 2016, 12:20:22 AM

The Steamin Demon I think it was called. My dad rode it, but I was only 8 and I didn't.  Used to go there when I was a kid and The Great Escape name was still new.

It was for a while. Many locals (as in Warren County) still called it Storyland. We had season passes when I lived 5 minutes away. Went there a couple nights a week during the summer. This was well before they started charging for parking.

Speaking of Steamin Demon, it's so lame that Six Flags is trying to spice it up with a name change and a "virtual reality experience". Yeah...
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

TheHighwayMan3561

On the note of theme park name changes:

Nickelodeon Universe (Mall of America) -> Camp Snoopy (before the agreement was not renewed between the mall and Cedar Fair). Another local amusement park, Valleyfair later contracted to have some Peanuts-themed attractions at their park.

Some guy from Philadelphia on another board corrected me for calling it Camp Snoopy after the rebrand. I wanted to reach through the computer and slap him.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.