News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Future Interstate 587 (Zebulon-Greenville)

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, November 15, 2016, 07:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: wdcrft63 on October 28, 2022, 06:28:44 PM
Kenly is a weird choice because it is not on I-795 and at population 1491 it is not a major destination. If we need to have a small burg on the sign, Fremont has population 1196 and it actually is on I-795, halfway to Goldsboro.

Let me restate my position a different way.  Instead of Exit 43B being the Kenly exit on I-795, perhaps it should be changed to the Lucama exit (which is much closer).  But it is not like through traffic to southbound US-301 using Exit 43 shouldn't have a destination whatsoever.  Before I-795 was constructed, this exit (whatever exit number it might have had) was posted for Wilson and Kenly, which made more sense back then.

Westbound Exit 43 is marked for US-301 (to I-795) to Wilson and Kenly.  But the opposing eastbound Exit 43B is marked for South US-301 with no destination, because you were supposed to use Exit 43C.  You could also make an argument that you were supposed to get off of US-264 eastbound onto I-95 to get to Kenly (instead of staying on I-795/I-587), but then should NCDOT turn the I-95 southbound exit into the Kenly exit?  The way it is marked right now, the entirety of all of offramps for Exit 43 get posted for both Wilson (northbound destination) and Kenly (southbound destination), plus you get the Control City of Goldsboro posted for I-795.  (Which, by the way, is not shown on westbound Exit 43.  Ouch!).

Sorry for the rant, but when you get lucky enough to end up with a shortcut on a new route, your DOT should be kind enough to sign it as such.

LM117

NCDOT awarded a contract to resurface I-587 in Wilson County between NC-58 and the Greene County line. Bridge preservation work is also included in the contract.

Work can begin next month, and is expected to be finished by summer 2024.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-11-04-i-587-wilson-county.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bob7374

I've posted photos I took last month of the new I-587 milepost exit numbers placed along US 264 West between I-95 and US 64, starting with those for US 264 Alt.:

The rest are at: https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/fut587.html#futsigns

The complete set of photos taken along I-587 east of I-95 is also available at:
https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/fut587.html#photos

bob7374

It appears NCDOT is getting around to adding I-587 shields to exits in Wilson on I-95. Screen captures of Google Maps Street View images taken in August show a new shield on the 1 mile advance (there was no 1/2 Mile) sign:

and one on the exit sign on I-95 North:

But no change on the C/D ramp signage:

LM117

^ I was in Goldsboro and Wilson early last month, and there still wasn't any I-587 shields on the signs along I-795 northbound approaching I-587/US-264.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.