11 (73.3%)
December 8
6 (40%)
December 15
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: August 29, 2018, 09:44:13 PM

getemngo

I'm hosting a meet in Lafayette, Indiana this fall as a sort of replacement for the traditional fall/winter Michigan meet.

Where:
Grindstone Charley's
3443 South St
Lafayette, IN 47905

When:
Saturday, November 10, 2018
11:00 am

The tour can be divided into two major parts.

Part 1 explores Lafayette/West Lafayette, including:

• the US 52/US 231 bypass that was completed in 2013 and a previous alignment of US 231
  • the remains of the Brown Street Bridge, Tippecanoe County's first bridge over the Wabash River
  • a beautifully restored pedestrian bridge that once carried SR 26
  • a new 938 foot bridge (under construction) that will carry eastbound Sagamore Parkway (old US 52) over the Wabash
  • abandoned concrete from SR 25's original crossing of Wildcat Creek
And yes, there will be button copy.  :nod:

Part 2 is a quick jaunt from Lafayette to Logansport and back along SR 25, the Hoosier Heartland Highway, a 4 lane expressway also completed in 2013. We will see:

• Freedom Bridge, an 1897 bridge that was moved to a rail trail that crosses over SR 25
  • Monticello Road, the sparsely used former US 35 bypass of Logansport
  • a large number of BGS on US 24/US 35 that were hastily modified when the Hoosier Heartland Highway was built
  • several historic bridges in Delphi around the Wabash and Erie Canal, including a 1901 stone arch bridge
  • the Jewettsport Ford Bridge, a long one lane truss bridge carrying SR 225 over the Wabash River
  • I-65's recent widening around the east side of Lafayette

Looks like we'll have a crowd of about a dozen. Follow this thread for updates.
~ Sam from Michigan

cl94

I'm eyeing this one, actually. Not certain I could swing it, but if I can, it's a chance to get a boatload of new mileage and counties.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

A.J. Bertin

Woo hoo!!! I'm definitely looking forward to this meet. I voted for Oct. 13 and Nov. 10. I technically could do Oct. 6 but didn't vote for it because I will have just gone to the Mentor OH meet the weekend before, and it's always nice to have a weekend buffer when possible between road trips.

Oct. 27 is out for me because that's my husband's and my wedding anniversary weekend, and I'm not fond of the December dates because of the potential for wintry weather and because it's so close to the holidays (the holidays tend to be a busy time).
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

Interested, but iffy.

The 6th is the weekend after Mentor, OH , so I'll sort of be in the area.

Dec 15 is workable

The other dates conflict with my faire schedule., though I may be dropping my October faire.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheHighwayMan3561

Early October is my annual fall vacation to Lake Superior, so if it's too close to that I won't be able to make it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

corco

I'm going to abstain from voting for now, but I might be interested in this one

Great Lakes Roads

I might come to this meet, and I drove on this route on my way back from Indianapolis yesterday, LOL!!

EDIT: I am not going now as I am going to be in Arizona for college...

jpi

Well, my vote is for 10/27, it's mine and Steph's anniversary and is the only weekend of these dates that I don't have a toy show going on, October and November are shaping up to be busy months for me for my other hobby so chances are I may not be able to make it if the preferred dates are chosen.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

I'm not voting yet, as I don't know my schedule for any of those months yet, and jury duty compounds things. This is reasonably close, and I'm already pretty sure I won't be able to do the Ohio meet because September is so crazy for me right now with a couple of multi-night work trips on tap.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

I used up my time off fuel in July, but I'll see where it stands in a month (pretty open)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

Actually, I voted for the three October dates, because of DST.

Any idea on a lunch site or time yet?

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on August 01, 2018, 01:10:50 PM

I didn't think Indiana observed DST ?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cl94

Quote from: US71 on August 01, 2018, 01:35:19 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 01, 2018, 01:10:50 PM

I didn't think Indiana observed DST ?

They started observing ~10 years ago. Became too much of an issue with the communities on the Ohio and Kentucky borders.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

Did anyone check to see if there are any home Purdue football games that would conflict with any of these dates? I would imagine such would cause issues with traffic, lodging and finding a restaurant.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on August 06, 2018, 04:38:11 PM
Did anyone check to see if there are any home Purdue football games that would conflict with any of these dates? I would imagine such would cause issues with traffic, lodging and finding a restaurant.

None of them do, leading me to think Sam accounted for those.

getemngo

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 06, 2018, 05:23:11 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 06, 2018, 04:38:11 PM

None of them do, leading me to think Sam accounted for those.

You'd be right. Considering I also have multiple September conflicts and a December 1 conflict, I was almost amazed that there were dates left at all.
~ Sam from Michigan

signalman

I haven't heard anything about this meet since voting closed last month.  Is this going to be held on the winning date of November 10?  I'm debating attending and would like to start making plans if this is still on.

froggie

If I'm not working by then, I may consider a lengthy roadtrip to attend this.  I have two friends in Lafayette that I wouldn't mind visiting.

csw

Not sure how I missed this, but I would probably be able to attend on November 10. I can also act as a guide to the Lafayette area seeing as I've lived here for the last 3.5 years.

TheHighwayMan3561

Ah crap, I forgot I probably can't be out of town over the 10th. Don't change it just because of me, but if that ends up being the date I won't be able to attend.

getemngo

Apologies, all. I just spent an unexpected week in the hospital (long story, but it's all behind us now).

But yes, November 10 is officially our date! Look for information about the venue and a more detailed itinerary in early October.
~ Sam from Michigan

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

csw

If you're looking for anything else to add to the itinerary, I'd suggest the one-lane truss on SR 225 over the Wabash. Not too much of a detour from the new IN 25.

dvferyance

Is there anything on Sunday the 11th or is this just a Saturday only meet?

kevinb1994

Quote from: dvferyance on October 15, 2018, 03:32:05 PM
Is there anything on Sunday the 11th or is this just a Saturday only meet?
This meet will be a Saturday only meet AFAIK.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.