News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest Interstate You Haven't Been On

Started by adwerkema, September 15, 2018, 11:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 25, 2022, 09:27:35 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 25, 2022, 04:42:42 PM
Just a curious post:

Can you really say you have been on an interstate if the only part you have been on was a cosign of a through route you were taking?
Yes

I'm not sure why (for example) I wouldn't count myself being on I-57 when the only parts I've only been on are the concurrencies with I-64 and I-70. It's still marked as I-57 on the BGS and reassurance shields.

It gets a bit more complicated for unsigned routes, like if you've been on I-25 in Colorado, would you count that as being on US 87 as well?

I don't think they are one in the same.  US-87 in Colorado is cosigned with I-25 for a very long way.  I am more thinking about short concurrencies that are clearly one route hopping on the other through route of a mile or two.  For the longest time, I had only been on I-59 during the concurency with I-20, but that concurrency exists in two states.  Saying I had been on I-70 years ago even though literally the only place I was on it was the Poplar Street Bridge in St. Louis (pre-Stan Musial days) because I traveled from I-44 and then got on I-64.  I don't really feel like I have been on I-77 in Virginia because the only time I have been on it is the wrong way concurrency on I-81.  Technically speaking, all cases, you are on the route even if you spend a mile on it when it cosigns with another, but I feel like I cheated to get it into my road portfolio. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 26, 2022, 09:55:13 AM
Just a curious post:

Can you really say you have been on an interstate if the only part you have been on was a cosign of a through route you were taking?
Yes

I'm not sure why (for example) I wouldn't count myself being on I-57 when the only parts I've only been on are the concurrencies with I-64 and I-70. It's still marked as I-57 on the BGS and reassurance shields.

It gets a bit more complicated for unsigned routes, like if you've been on I-25 in Colorado, would you count that as being on US 87 as well?

I don't think they are one in the same.  US-87 in Colorado is cosigned with I-25 for a very long way.  I am more thinking about short concurrencies that are clearly one route hopping on the other through route of a mile or two.  For the longest time, I had only been on I-59 during the concurency with I-20, but that concurrency exists in two states.  Saying I had been on I-70 years ago even though literally the only place I was on it was the Poplar Street Bridge in St. Louis (pre-Stan Musial days) because I traveled from I-44 and then got on I-64.  I don't really feel like I have been on I-77 in Virginia because the only time I have been on it is the wrong way concurrency on I-81.  Technically speaking, all cases, you are on the route even if you spend a mile on it when it cosigns with another, but I feel like I cheated to get it into my road portfolio.

I mean, you've been on over 10% of I-77 in Virginia.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 26, 2022, 10:50:11 AM
Just a curious post:

Yes

I don't think they are one in the same.  US-87 in Colorado is cosigned with I-25 for a very long way.  I am more thinking about short concurrencies that are clearly one route hopping on the other through route of a mile or two.  For the longest time, I had only been on I-59 during the concurrency with I-20, but that concurrency exists in two states.  Saying I had been on I-70 years ago even though literally the only place I was on it was the Poplar Street Bridge in St. Louis (pre-Stan Musial days) because I traveled from I-44 and then got on I-64.  I don't really feel like I have been on I-77 in Virginia because the only time I have been on it is the wrong way concurrency on I-81.  Technically speaking, all cases, you are on the route even if you spend a mile on it when it cosigns with another, but I feel like I cheated to get it into my road portfolio.

I am not fighting this, lol.  I am just saying it feels cheap....  Like your crush was way out of your league and didn't go to the dance with you, so you went to the dance with her ugly friend.  Then you both rode in the same car to the dance, so you still went to the dance with your crush right?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 26, 2022, 01:34:26 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 26, 2022, 10:50:11 AM
Just a curious post:

Yes

I don't think they are one in the same.  US-87 in Colorado is cosigned with I-25 for a very long way.  I am more thinking about short concurrencies that are clearly one route hopping on the other through route of a mile or two.  For the longest time, I had only been on I-59 during the concurrency with I-20, but that concurrency exists in two states.  Saying I had been on I-70 years ago even though literally the only place I was on it was the Poplar Street Bridge in St. Louis (pre-Stan Musial days) because I traveled from I-44 and then got on I-64.  I don't really feel like I have been on I-77 in Virginia because the only time I have been on it is the wrong way concurrency on I-81.  Technically speaking, all cases, you are on the route even if you spend a mile on it when it cosigns with another, but I feel like I cheated to get it into my road portfolio.

I am not fighting this, lol.  I am just saying it feel cheap....  Like your crush was way out of your league and didn't go to the dance with you, so you went to the dance with her ugly friend.  Then you both rode in the same car to the dance, so you still went to the dance with your crush right?

To proceed with the analogy, but maybe your crush got drunk and accidentally kissed you instead of her date?

Great Lakes Roads

It's I-8 for me.

mgk920

golden eagle

Either I-25 or I-35, whichever one is longest.

odditude

SkyPesos

planxtymcgillicuddy

For the ones nearest me that I've yet to be on, I-64 and I-10
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 15, 2018, 04:07:40 PM
Below is a list of all the interstates I have not yet traveled. The longest is I-76 at 622 miles. (I consider both stretches of I-76 to be part of the same interstate.)

A minor update from the above. Before there were 22 routes I hadn't been on, totaling 4,367 miles. Now that's been reduced to 16, totaling 1,944 miles.
I- 8 348
I-86 246
I-22 213
I-17 146
I-78 144
I-82 144
I-37 143
I-27 124
I-99 99
I-83 85
I-73 82
I-19 64
I- 2 47
I-14 26
I-97 18
I-11 15

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

StogieGuy7

This was actually a fun question to ponder and after wracking my brain a bit, my answer is I-27. Driven by it but never on it. Second would be I-82, which again I've driven past but never on.

NWI_Irish96

Just a curious post:

Yes, though now that I look at it, the I-49 concurrency with I-44 didn't exist the last time I was on I-44 so I do NOT count that.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 28, 2022, 01:07:23 PM

Just a curious post:

Yes, though now that I look at it, the I-49 concurrency with I-44 didn't exist the last time I was on I-44 so I do NOT count that.

Look at it this way:

I once drove from the Twin Cities to Herrin, IL.  The route I took was this:  I-94 to Tomah (WI), I-90 to Rockford (IL), US-51 to Sandoval (IL), US-50 to Salem (IL), I-57 south from there.

Should I not say I was on I-39 during that trip, just because the only part I was on was co-signed (for 218 miles!) with the through-routes I was actually taking (I-90 and US-51)–and even though I clinched the Illinois portion of I-39 in the process?

Seems like that approach would be rather ridiculous.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bm7

Top 3:
I-95 (Closest I've been to it is ~300 miles)
I-20 (Driven over/under it twice)
I-15 (Also ~300 miles)

MATraveler128

My top 3

I-70 - Almost made it in Baltimore.

I-94 - Never been to the Midwest

I-35 - Same as above.

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Ryctor2018

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on April 29, 2022, 09:03:19 AM
My top 3

I-35 - Same as above.

Never been on I-25, in the Mtn West. I have covered every other Interstate in the nation over or near 1000 miles. I travel a lot! There are several important, but relatively short I-routes I haven't been on.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

ethanhopkin14

My top 3

I-35 - Same as above.

Not to get too technical, but I didn't think I-35 went through the Midwest.  Maybe Iowa gets thrown into the Midwest, but I feel like its more like the great plains.  Missouri has always been associated as a southern state and it has the gateway arch which is the gateway to the west. Anyone else's thoughts?  It's kinda an interesting thing to me, those fringe states. 

7/8

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 02, 2022, 11:01:56 AM
My top 3

I-35 - Same as above.

Not to get too technical, but I didn't think I-35 went through the Midwest.  Maybe Iowa gets thrown into the Midwest, but I feel like its more like the great plains.  Missouri has always been associated as a southern state and it has the gateway arch which is the gateway to the west. Anyone else's thoughts?  It's kinda an interesting thing to me, those fringe states.

I think most definitions of the midwest would include I-35.

Poll on people's opinion per state:

Source article: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-states-are-in-the-midwest/

US Census Bureau's definition includes the great plains in the midwest:

I personally like Wikitravel's definition of the midwest, since it distinguishes the midwest (in blue) from the Great Plains (in yellow):

kphoger

I've said it before, but...  I've lived in Illinois and Kansas my whole life, and I consider the Great Plains to be a sub-region of the Midwest.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: 7/8 on May 02, 2022, 11:27:16 AM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 02, 2022, 11:01:56 AM
My top 3

I-35 - Same as above.

I think most definitions of the midwest would include I-35.

Poll on people's opinion per state:

Source article: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-states-are-in-the-midwest/

US Census Bureau's definition includes the great plains in the midwest:

I personally like Wikitravel's definition of the midwest, since it distinguishes the midwest (in blue) from the Great Plains (in yellow):

I am not arguing, just interested. 

I never considered anything west of the Mississippi to be the Midwest.  My definition isn't gospel, definitely an eye opener. 

Also interesting in that poll, some people consider Kansas and Oklahoma part of the Midwest. 

kphoger

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 02, 2022, 12:55:11 PM
Also interesting in that poll, some people consider Kansas and Oklahoma part of the Midwest. 

Granted, it isn't something I've asked a lot of people about, but...  I've lived in Kansas for a total of 23 years, and it had never occurred to me before this forum that Kansas and Oklahoma wouldn't be considered part of the Midwest.
Male pronouns, please.

7/8

I never considered anything west of the Mississippi to be the Midwest.  My definition isn't gospel, definitely an eye opener. 

Sorry I didn't mean to come off harsh, I was just surprised to hear someone not consider Iowa or Minnesota as the midwest.

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2022, 01:10:41 PM

Granted, it isn't something I've asked a lot of people about, but...  I've lived in Kansas for a total of 23 years, and it had never occurred to me before this forum that Kansas and Oklahoma wouldn't be considered part of the Midwest.

Oklahoma's an interesting one, as it's on the line between midwestern and southern (and I've seen other posts online debating it). It's only one aspect, but this accent map (which I love - it's super detailed!) shows Oklahoma as falling having both "midland" and "southern" accents: https://aschmann.net/AmEng/. I haven't been to Oklahoma myself to make my own judgement.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: 7/8 on May 02, 2022, 01:22:25 PM

Sorry I didn't mean to come off harsh, I was just surprised to hear someone not consider Iowa or Minnesota as the midwest.

You didn't come off harsh.  I just wanted everyone to know I am not fighting about this, but instead really interested.  I always thought of the Midwest as Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin.  Like I said, I have always felt the Mississippi was a hard divider for a lot of things, and the Midwest has always been one of them.  I guess your location really depends on you perception. 

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 02, 2022, 01:30:00 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on May 02, 2022, 01:22:25 PM

You didn't come off harsh.  I just wanted everyone to know I am not fighting about this, but instead really interested.  I always thought of the Midwest as Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin.  Like I said, I have always felt the Mississippi was a hard divider for a lot of things, and the Midwest has always been one of them.  I guess your location really depends on you perception.

You can put me in this camp as well. West of the Mississippi is west of the Midwest.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.