Regional Boards > Southeast

I-10 Mobile River Bridge and Bayway

(1/29) > >>

MaxConcrete:
The project recently received a $125 million INFRA grant
https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/grants/344906/fy2019-infra-fact-sheets.pdf
https://www.enr.com/articles/47261-us-dot-picks-20-winners-to-split-856-million-in-new-infra-grant-round

My question is: why do the I-10 Bayway bridges need to be replaced? I remember seeing them built when I was a kid on a family vacation to Pensacola. That was around 1978, so the bridges are not particularly old. I also drove across it last month and did not notice any imminent need for replacement. I'm thinking maybe it needs to be widened to 3x3, and the existing structure does not have enough remaining life to justify widening.

If Alabama can round up the rest of the money to get this built, it will be a very impressive bridge with a 215-foot vertical clearance. Which leads to my next question: is 3x3 going to be sufficient for the bridge? In Houston, the new Beltway 8 ship channel bridge under construction is 4x4, the existing SH 146 Baytown bridge is 4x4, and the existing Loop 610 bridge is 5x5.

froggie:

--- Quote ---My question is: why do the I-10 Bayway bridges need to be replaced?
--- End quote ---

I believe the existing bridges are below the 100-year storm surge level.  They want to fix that.

--- Quote --- is 3x3 going to be sufficient for the bridge?
--- End quote ---

The existing I-10 Wallace Tunnel will remain, so it'll be a net 5x5 in freeway capacity across the river.  You mentioned the Baytown Bridge as an example...but that project took out the former tunnel instead of adding to it.

bicyclehazard:
Gov Ivey says the project is dead and she has canceled all future meetings on the project. I of course have always had my own agenda on the project. I didn't care what was done as long as a route was maintained across the bay for non motorized traffic.

mvak36:

--- Quote from: bicyclehazard on August 28, 2019, 08:42:18 PM ---Gov Ivey says the project is dead and she has canceled all future meetings on the project. I of course have always had my own agenda on the project. I didn't care what was done as long as a route was maintained across the bay for non motorized traffic.

--- End quote ---

So they're not gonna be getting that 125 million INFRA grant they just won?

Is it really dead or they just can't build it with tolls?

Plutonic Panda:
I think the entire project is back to square one. This is a good thing, IMO as the toll component was outrageous. Though I do support toll roads in some cases, I am against tolling in many more and interstate tolls are no exception. I believe the interstates should have a blanket standard and no tolls should be part of that. Hopefully this project comes back bigger and better keeping the tunnel portion AND adding another bridge crossing further north as an additional bridge alternative should be had.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version