Started by bing101, January 30, 2020, 09:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

kevinb1994

ozarkman417

kevinb1994

Quote from: ozarkman417 on January 30, 2020, 09:54:19 PM
can this month please be over already
It'll be over after tomorrow. Granted, I do think another road trip is in order once things clear up around here.
Whoops, didn't think about the above pun before hand...lol

Max Rockatansky

I actually met John Andretti once when he was driving the 37 Haas car I want to say in 1996.  He was looking for someone at the race hauler, I want to say that I was 13 at the time?  Either way I had no idea he was even sick, I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been a news story until now. 

kevinb1994

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 30, 2020, 11:43:44 PM
I actually met John Andretti once when he was driving the 37 Haas car I want to say in 1996.  He was looking for someone at the race hauler, I want to say that I was 13 at the time?  Either way I had no idea he was even sick, I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been a news story until now.
There are those whose lives remain private enough so that we don't know how well they are doing.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 31, 2020, 01:34:12 AM
There are those whose lives remain private enough so that we don't know how well they are doing.

I guess it was announced, it just didn't pick up a lot of press in the sports world.  The fact that it was Andretti makes that somewhat surprising to me that it wasn't more mainstream.  Apparently he went into remission twice. 

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 31, 2020, 07:45:08 AM

I guess it was announced, it just didn't pick up a lot of press in the sports world.  The fact that it was Andretti makes that somewhat surprising to me that it wasn't more mainstream.  Apparently he went into remission twice. 

Recently (say, the past 6 months) there were some tweets about it, but mostly within the sphere of motor sports. Even then, I think there intentionally wasn't a lot of publicity.

John Andretti may have had to live in his father's shadow, but he was also accomplished in that he managed to take a victory in just about any series he tried his hand at. Wins in IMSA GTP, IndyCar/CART, NASCAR Winston Cup, and other sports-car series...that's quite rare in the last few decades. Usually if you win in one top-tier series, you stick with it, because it can be tough switching to an entirely different kind of race car. And that always has my respect.

Got to see him give one of the last wins for the Porsche 962 in West Palm Beach back in 1989. (My on track pics weren't very good.)

hbelkins

See Peart, Neil.

I knew Andretti had cancer, but hadn't really given it a lot of thought. I remember him joking that he should change his name to "Anpetty" when he was driving for the old Petty Enterprises 43 team.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kevinb1994

Quote from: hbelkins on January 31, 2020, 04:14:19 PM

See Peart, Neil.

I knew Andretti had cancer, but hadn't really given it a lot of thought. I remember him joking that he should change his name to "Anpetty" when he was driving for the old Petty Enterprises 43 team.
That reminds me of other people named Petty.

spooky

Quote from: formulanone on January 31, 2020, 08:29:22 AM

Recently (say, the past 6 months) there were some tweets about it, but mostly within the sphere of motor sports. Even then, I think there intentionally wasn't a lot of publicity.

John Andretti may have had to live in his father's shadow, but he was also accomplished in that he managed to take a victory in just about any series he tried his hand at. Wins in IMSA GTP, IndyCar/CART, NASCAR Winston Cup, and other sports-car series...that's quite rare in the last few decades. Usually if you win in one top-tier series, you stick with it, because it can be tough switching to an entirely different kind of race car. And that always has my respect.

His uncle's shadow. Mario's brother Aldo was John's father.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: spooky on February 03, 2020, 01:17:13 PM

Aldo was also a fairly accomplished driver himself but he quit racing.  I recall John Andretti was one of the last Petty Enterprises drivers that had some minor relevance in the sport.  It was kind of interesting to consider that John Andretti also drove for Cale Yarbrough who undoubtedly would rank among the ten top greatest NASCAR drivers. 

formulanone

Quote from: spooky on February 03, 2020, 01:17:13 PM

My mistake - mixed him up with Michael for a moment.

Konza

If your doctor suggests that you get a colonoscopy, get a colonoscopy.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.