News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-65 Improvements in Tennessee

Started by I-39, August 07, 2020, 08:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Spring Hill Buckner Road interchange contract awarded.

http://www.williamsonherald.com/communities/tdot-awards-contract-for-i-65-buckner-road-interchange-project-in-spring-hill/article_213368e6-550b-11eb-9bfa-8babd3854992.html

Construction will start in spring of next year and be completed by May 2023.

dvferyance

Quote from: Tomahawkin on August 08, 2020, 11:50:45 AM
I totally agree. IH 65 is a major corridor from the midwest in route to Florida. I'm sure the summer weekend traffic is crazy. I would opine that IH 24 be made 6 lanes statewide as well. It needs major improvements in Chattlanta (Chattanooga)
That would be I-75. I-65 doesn't go to Florida.

Buck87

Quote from: dvferyance on January 30, 2021, 07:11:28 PM
I totally agree. IH 65 is a major corridor from the midwest in route to Florida. I'm sure the summer weekend traffic is crazy. I would opine that IH 24 be made 6 lanes statewide as well. It needs major improvements in Chattlanta (Chattanooga)

A lot of Midwestern traffic uses 65 to 24 to get to 75. Or 65 all the way to southern Alabama if the Florida panhandle is the destination.

Tomahawkin

Exactly!!! Midwestern traffic uses 65 en route to Florida via going through Dothan and SE Alabama if they Dont go to Gulf Shores

I-39

I-55

Quote from: Buck87 on January 31, 2021, 01:00:15 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on January 30, 2021, 07:11:28 PM

A lot of Midwestern traffic uses 65 to 24 to get to 75. Or 65 all the way to southern Alabama if the Florida panhandle is the destination.

Even in NE Indiana it is faster to take 65-24-75 than just getting on 75 at Lima or Wapakoneta. Even though we have to go through Chattanooga, it avoids Cincinnati/Dayton.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

VTGoose

Quote from: I-55 on February 03, 2021, 03:00:58 PM
Even in NE Indiana it is faster to take 65-24-75 than just getting on 75 at Lima or Wapakoneta. Even though we have to go through Chattanooga, it avoids Cincinnati/Dayton.

Except Chattanooga presents its own special kind of fun when traversing its interstates. Two recent trips through there, coming in on I-75 and using I-24 to reach I-59 to continue south (and vise versa returning home) has me looking to see if there is a reasonable alternative route from Southwest Virginia to Baton Rouge for our next trip (other than the Google-suggested, hour-longer [yeah, right] route via Atlanta).

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

wriddle082

Quote from: VTGoose on February 04, 2021, 11:14:50 AM

Except Chattanooga presents its own special kind of fun when traversing its interstates. Two recent trips through there, coming in on I-75 and using I-24 to reach I-59 to continue south (and vise versa returning home) has me looking to see if there is a reasonable alternative route from Southwest Virginia to Baton Rouge for our next trip (other than the Google-suggested, hour-longer [yeah, right] route via Atlanta).

Bruce in Blacksburg

Any alternative routes west of Chattanooga are definitely not worth it as most wouldn't be freeway.  And taking 77 and 85 (which I assume is your Atlanta alternate) would put you in the middle of the 85 widening in SC from the NC line to Spartanburg, which, speaking from experience, is much worse than anything currently going on in Chattanooga.  And much of Chattanooga's ails can be avoided by passing through at maybe the 7 PM timeframe, when rush hour is over but overnight lane closures have not yet started.

codyg1985

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 04, 2021, 04:01:31 PM

Bruce in Blacksburg

Any alternative routes west of Chattanooga are definitely not worth it as most wouldn't be freeway.  And taking 77 and 85 (which I assume is your Atlanta alternate) would put you in the middle of the 85 widening in SC from the NC line to Spartanburg, which, speaking from experience, is much worse than anything currently going on in Chattanooga.  And much of Chattanooga's ails can be avoided by passing through at maybe the 7 PM timeframe, when rush hour is over but overnight lane closures have not yet started.

With Chattanooga you have to factor in weekend travelers who also clog up the interstate system there, in addition to your normal rush hour. Travelling through there at dusk or during the evening is definitely your best bet.

Chattanooga needs a bypass in the worst way, but it would be quite expensive to do a southern bypass. An eastern bypass which funneled the I-75 through traffic away from Chattanooga would be easier to accomplish.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

sprjus4

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 05, 2021, 03:21:19 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on February 04, 2021, 04:01:31 PM

Bruce in Blacksburg

With Chattanooga you have to factor in weekend travelers who also clog up the interstate system there, in addition to your normal rush hour. Travelling through there at dusk or during the evening is definitely your best bet.

Chattanooga needs a bypass in the worst way, but it would be quite expensive to do a southern bypass. An eastern bypass which funneled the I-75 through traffic away from Chattanooga would be easier to accomplish.
From my experience, the main problems is I-24 and I-59 traffic from the west. I-75 largely avoids the problematic areas.

hbelkins

Bruce in Blacksburg

There's a decent cut-over route from I-75 to US 27 that gets you out of the I-75/I-24 mess and puts you on I-24 in downtown. A few traffic lights, but probably not too bad. Can't think of the route numbers, though. I used it to get from US 27 to US 11 a few years ago so I wouldn't have to deal with the 75/24 interchange.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

I-39

Well, since I-65 is a primary route from the Midwest to Florida, it sure could use some widening from Kentucky to Nashville.

milbfan

Bruce in Blacksburg

Hola from Wise County.  Some ideas, as I used to head to AL a bit...

Take I-40 West to Harriman, pick up US 27 and head south to Chattanooga/I-24 West.  You'll come out west of downtown 'Nooga.  I have been interested in trying that route one day.  Don't know much about the towns in between...

Take I-81 to I-26 into Asheville.  Pick up I-40 and head west to US 23.  You have expressways that help you along the way on the NC side; all of GA is four-lane to I-985.  Downside:  ATL.

Convoluted but avoids drama:  Pick up 411 in Gadsden, follow to Rome, take Loop 1 around Rome, pick up GA 53 to I-75.  You can either stay on 75, if you want, through eastern Chattanooga, or you can pick up GA 71 in Dalton, cross the border (turns into TN 60), and you'll bypass Chattanooga completely, coming out in Cleveland.

I-39

Please continue this thread here. This will be not only for I-65 improvements, but Nashville/Middle Tennessee improvements as a whole.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=28509.0

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.