News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Suggestion: Users should have to get mod approval before editing topics/posts

Started by Roadgeekteen, April 30, 2021, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

I don't want users to be able to mess up conversations by mass editing or deleting posts. Think before you post on the internet.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tolbs17

kphoger

I think people should have a 15-minute window to edit a post.

However, the point that has been brought up before is that some threads are constructed in such a way that the OP edits the original post with new info as it becomes available.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

If a user is found to be editing/deleting posts disruptively, they may be given a warning for disruptive behavior and/or the ability to edit or delete posts disabled on a per-user basis.

The vast majority of users use the edit function constructively, so disabling edit/deletion rights globally would not be beneficial to the forum.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 30, 2021, 05:23:23 PM
If a user is found to be editing/deleting posts disruptively, they may be given a warning for disruptive behavior and/or the ability to edit or delete posts disabled.

The vast majority of users use the edit function constructively, so disabling edit/deletion rights globally would not be beneficial to the forum.

Ok that's good. Just don't like rage editing.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2021, 05:24:34 PM
If a user is found to be editing/deleting posts disruptively, they may be given a warning for disruptive behavior and/or the ability to edit or delete posts disabled.

Same here. Unless I realize the thread is stupid!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 30, 2021, 05:26:02 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2021, 05:24:34 PM

Same here. Unless I realize the thread is stupid!
Even if it's stupid, editing it will make the next few posts confusing for readers to understand.

dlsterner

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2021, 05:19:57 PM
I don't want users to be able to mess up conversations by mass editing or deleting posts. Think before you post on the internet.

Too heavy-handed IMHO.  There have been a few times where I've noticed a typo in my post, and my OCD compels me to fix it.

In any case my edits do not totally change the intent of the post.  I want to be able to change "I-496" when I meant to type "I-495".  As opposed to a Fictional thread that had its entire content changed to "7".

Edit:  Changed "compiles" typo to "compels".  I didn't purposely plan that!  Really!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: dlsterner on April 30, 2021, 05:29:12 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2021, 05:19:57 PM

Too heavy-handed IMHO.  There have been a few times where I've noticed a typo in my post, and my OCD compiles me to fix it.

In any case my edits do not totally change the intent of the post.  I want to be able to change "I-496" when I meant to type "I-495".  As opposed to a Fictional thread that had its entire content changed to "7".
I like Scott's policy on disruptive editing actually.

JoePCool14

If a user is found to be editing/deleting posts disruptively, they may be given a warning for disruptive behavior and/or the ability to edit or delete posts disabled on a per-user basis.

Thank you. Most people are sensible about using the edit button, and I do not like using forums where this ability is removed.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hotdogPi

I'm strongly against restrictions, including the 15-minute window.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

tolbs17

hotdogPi

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 30, 2021, 05:34:56 PM
Or you can limit the number of words that you can edit.

There have been times where I make a post containing two things and the previous poster ninja-edits, making me delete one of the two, as it's already answered or no longer relevant.

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 30, 2021, 05:34:56 PM
Or you can limit the number of words that you can edit.

The forum software does not have an option to establish an editing limit by word count.

CoreySamson

I think editing a title should need mod approval. That way we know what the thread was originally about. Other edits, no.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

hotdogPi

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 30, 2021, 05:46:06 PM
I think editing a title should need mod approval. That way we know what the thread was originally about. Other edits, no.
But if there's a typo in the title?

Scott5114

Those of you who habitually quote the OP in your replies are the real MVPs. Steve and I were able to revert a few of these post-blankings because of that.

The problem is that the forum software doesn't make any distinction between editing the first post in the thread (which what the thread title derives from) or any other post in the thread. There's also no way to "require mod approval" other than to outright deny edit rights and require any edit to be made by a moderator. (This means that we would have to spend more time servicing these requests and less time writing important posts like the history of Grand Alan Garfunkel or whatever.)

1995hoo

I agree that a time limit stinks. I'm a member of another forum that limits the editing time to five minutes after posting. It's not enough time, especially given how often you get autocorrect- or touchscreen-related typos (neither of which were issues when that forum was founded)

I'm in the habit of saying why I edited a post; I got that habit from the same forum noted above because their software has a box for "Reason for editing." It's optional, but I like the idea.

On the whole, the idea that some people may edit in annoying ways is not a valid reason to remove the option for the rest of us. Dealing with problem users as they arise is exactly the right approach.

Edited per the other post down below.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 30, 2021, 06:04:23 PM
On the whole, the idea that some people may edit in annoying ways is not a valid reason to remove the option for the rest of us. Dealing with problem users as they arise is exactly the right approach.

"One person used a thing to do something sucky so now we're going to make it a rule that NOBODY can have it!" was a fundamental management axiom at my last job, which was one of the reasons why working there was so obnoxious.

Scott5114

Okay, I've been screwing around in the admin tools and want to make sure I didn't break stuff. Can someone confirm that they still have the ability to edit their own posts?

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 30, 2021, 06:22:13 PM
Okay, I've been screwing around in the admin tools and want to make sure I didn't break stuff. Can someone confirm that they still have the ability to edit their own posts?
Test. It works!

Thanks.

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 30, 2021, 06:22:13 PM

Edited per the other post down below.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on April 30, 2021, 05:59:51 PM
But if there's a typo in the title?
Minor typos are fine, mods can approve changes.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 30, 2021, 06:06:57 PM

"One person used a thing to do something sucky so now we're going to make it a rule that NOBODY can have it!" was a fundamental management axiom at my last job, which was one of the reasons why working there was so obnoxious.

I must say, that's pretty much exactly how I feel about the stats page being canned...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.