News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

E-ZPass on the Mackinac Bridge?

Started by Joe The Dragon, October 19, 2021, 10:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe The Dragon

[Split from the Michigan Notes thread. -S.]

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 14, 2021, 06:21:40 PM
The Mackinac Bridge Authority will be reinstating its Driver Assistance program on November 1st.  The program was suspended in March 2020 due to COVID-19.  It provides an Authority staffer to drive your car across the bridge, for those who have fears of driving across themselves or who want to concentrate on the scenery instead.

There will now be a $10 fee, increasing to $15 in 2025 (used to be free).  There will also be increased fees for transporting pedestrians, bicycles, and snowmobiles (none of which are usually allowed to cross the bridge on their own).

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/MBA_assistance_programs_reinstated_Oct_2021__REV_10-14-21_clean_738456_7.pdf
what about adding E-ZPass?

dvferyance

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on October 19, 2021, 10:09:36 PM
The Mackinac Bridge Authority will be reinstating its Driver Assistance program on November 1st.  The program was suspended in March 2020 due to COVID-19.  It provides an Authority staffer to drive your car across the bridge, for those who have fears of driving across themselves or who want to concentrate on the scenery instead.

There will now be a $10 fee, increasing to $15 in 2025 (used to be free).  There will also be increased fees for transporting pedestrians, bicycles, and snowmobiles (none of which are usually allowed to cross the bridge on their own).

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/MBA_assistance_programs_reinstated_Oct_2021__REV_10-14-21_clean_738456_7.pdf
Good question makes no sense to me why they don't.

Flint1979

Quote from: dvferyance on October 19, 2021, 11:24:04 PM

Because there aren't that many people that cross the bridge that have ez-pass that is one reason.

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 20, 2021, 06:42:21 AM

Because there aren't that many people that cross the bridge that have ez-pass that is one reason.
Psst:  This was true of all toll facilities before E-Z Pass.  And yet, they implemented it.  Could do so at the Mac and encourage adoption by drivers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on October 20, 2021, 07:00:55 AM

Psst:  This was true of all toll facilities before E-Z Pass.  And yet, they implemented it.  Could do so at the Mac and encourage adoption by drivers.
There aren't any other toll roads in the state. It would be pointless 

wanderer2575

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 20, 2021, 12:02:58 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 20, 2021, 07:00:55 AM

There aren't any other toll roads in the state. It would be pointless

Not pointless.  Between Chicagoland and most of the east coast, Michigan is solidly in E-ZPass territory.  I would think a fair number of people crossing the Mackinac Bridge also use E-ZPass toll roads.  Maybe not in the same trip, but among all their travels.

Plus, as I have noted elsewhere, every Michigan toll facility (the Mackinac Bridge and the Canadian border crossings) with electronic tolling capability uses its own proprietary system with no compatibility with others.  That's a stupid disservice to motorists.  How nice if they would cooperate and all use one system, and make it the same system the rest of the Northeast happens to use.

Flint1979

The Mackinac Bridge doesn't really get a lot of traffic that is going to use a toll road that uses ez-pass. It's pretty easy to just have the $4 ready and pay, the wait isn't very long and I cross the bridge at least 6 times a year.

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 20, 2021, 11:11:31 PM
The Mackinac Bridge doesn't really get a lot of traffic that is going to use a toll road that uses ez-pass. It's pretty easy to just have the $4 ready and pay, the wait isn't very long and I cross the bridge at least 6 times a year.
And ETC would be even more efficient.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Joe The Dragon

they have there own PASS

Rothman

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on October 20, 2021, 11:43:15 PM
they have there own PASS
...which should be made E-ZPass compatible.

Flint1979

they have there own PASS
Yeah it's called MacPass. It's not worth it if you don't cross the bridge on a regular basis. It involves a $80 deposit, $7 admin fee and the stickers are $1 each. As for me I live about 180 miles south of the bridge and cross it and come back about 3-4 times a year so it's indeed not worth it for someone like me.

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 21, 2021, 07:55:11 AM
they have there own PASS
Yeah it's called MacPass. It's not worth it if you don't cross the bridge on a regular basis. It involves a $80 deposit, $7 admin fee and the stickers are $1 each. As for me I live about 180 miles south of the bridge and cross it and come back about 3-4 times a year so it's indeed not worth it for someone like me.
Their MacPass costs are telling the real story behind the lack of E-ZPass compatibility rather than lack of demand from motorists...

renegade

E-Z Pass is not needed in Michigan.  No toll roads here, only four bridges, three of which leave the country.  You've already been told that.  We shouldn't have to pay for an infrastructure that a small portion of travelers (mostly out-of-staters) will use.  No cash?  Feel free to drive around the lake.

:wave:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Flint1979

Damn I went from complaining about a temporary traffic light on M-52 to talking about E-Z Pass on the Mackinac Bridge.

Rothman

Quote from: renegade on October 21, 2021, 12:19:25 PM
E-Z Pass is not needed in Michigan.  No toll roads here, only four bridges, three of which leave the country.  You've already been told that.  We shouldn't have to pay for an infrastructure that a small portion of travelers (mostly out-of-staters) will use.  No cash?  Feel free to drive around the lake.

Don't worry.  It's cheap.

wanderer2575

And you've already been told that of five tolled facilities in the state (you forgot the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel), four of them already implement their own proprietary electronic tolling systems, used by plenty of in-staters.  If they're going to implement/maintain/upgrade systems anyway, why not use a common system predominate in this part of the country?

thenetwork

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 21, 2021, 01:30:52 PM

And you've already been told that of five tolled facilities in the state (you forgot the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel), four of them already implement their own proprietary electronic tolling systems, used by plenty of in-staters.  If they're going to implement/maintain/upgrade systems anyway, why not use a common system predominate in this part of the country?

What system will the Gordie Howe crossing use once it's opened up, have they said yet?  If they were to implement EZ Pass, I'm sure the other downstate crossings would quickly change their tunes.

renegade

Forgot about the Tunnel.  Still don't need E-ZPass in Michigan. 

Rothman

Quote from: renegade on October 21, 2021, 07:27:41 PM

I don't understand the adamant opposition.  Implementing E-ZPass certainly wouldn't hurt.

renegade

Quote from: Rothman on October 21, 2021, 07:46:04 PM

I don't understand the adamant opposition.  Implementing E-ZPass certainly wouldn't hurt.
What are we going to use them for?  Buying pasties?

SkyPesos

Then Kentucky doesn't need it either, as they only have two toll bridges, and no toll roads (since the parkways became free). Yet they implemented it, because it's convenient for drivers, much more than trying to find loose change on your car floor.

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on October 21, 2021, 07:46:04 PM

What are we going to use it for? The average person in Michigan doesn't use a toll road on a daily basis so having E-Z Pass in your car really doesn't make much sense. The last time I used a toll road was crossing the Mackinac Bridge about 10 weeks ago and I probably drive more than the average driver in Michigan.

Flint1979

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 21, 2021, 09:14:03 PM

Then Kentucky doesn't need it either, as they only have two toll bridges, and no toll roads (since the parkways became free). Yet they implemented it, because it's convenient for drivers, much more than trying to find loose change on your car floor.
E-Z Pass serves no convenience for a Michigan driver for real.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 22, 2021, 06:58:05 AM

Unless that Michigan driver regularly uses toll roads outside the state and gets an EZ Pass for that purpose.  Having an electronic system that isn't EZ Pass compatible is dumb.  Hell, I live in Green Bay and have an IPass (fully EZ Pass compatible) even though I only get to Illinois four or five times a year. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 22, 2021, 06:58:05 AM

I see Michigan plates on the Indiana Toll Road and Chicagoland tollways all the time.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.