News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

A Second Chance (Redundant Ramps)

Started by CoreySamson, January 25, 2022, 02:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

Just happened to be looking at GSV of Taylor, TX lately, and I noticed an interesting interchange on the east side of town:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.5744911,-97.379314,17z

What's interesting to me here is that if you are heading SB on the US 79 bypass from the west, you encounter 2 separate ramps (a loop ramp and a longer ramp) that both accomplish the same movement. In other words, you get a "second chance"  to go southbound in case you missed the first ramp.

What other interchanges have redundant ramps like this? Apologies if this thread has been done before.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

Southbound I-35 has two ramps to Robinson Street in Norman. The first you encounter, Exit 110B, puts you on the two-way service road going southbound. The second one, 110A, loops back around and puts you at the same intersection with Robinson that 110B will, but if you continue straight you're on the service road going northbound.

Whenever I need to use that interchange I always use 110A because everyone else uses 110B, so the service road always backs up at that light, while I'm usually the only one using the 110A ramp.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

deathtopumpkins

https://goo.gl/maps/bXefF2zH4nwT6WA18

There are THREE separate ramps from I-64 eastbound to I-264 eastbound. Arguably not redundant though, considering one of them is now HO/T, and only one of them lets you access the Newtown Road interchange on 264.

This same interchange has other seemingly redundant movements as well, all of which are cases of providing both a flyover for mainline traffic and loop ramps for traffic to/from the adjacent interchanges on 264.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

1995hoo

In Maryland, southbound I-95 has three different ways to access the Inner Loop of the Capital Beltway–a two-lane flyover (the newest of the three ramps), a cloverleaf-style loop ramp that was the original primary route and is now used primarily for traffic wishing to access the Beltway's exit to US-1 (which is inaccessible via the flyover), and a ramp that's accessed by circling past the park-and-ride lot at the stub end of where the road was never completed. That third ramp would have been the northbound I-95 ramp to the Inner Loop had I-95 been constructed as planned.

In Virginia, the Inner Loop of the Beltway used to have two separate ramps to westbound I-66: Exit 9A (later 49A) was a left-side exit and Exit 9C (later 49C) was a right-side loop-around. The reason for the duplicate ramps was primarily to eliminate the danger caused by requiring traffic entering from US-50 just to the south to cut across four lanes of traffic to the left-side exit in a short distance, but in practice it didn't help because people cut across anyway. The duplication no longer exists because HO/T lane construction restricted the left-side exit to HO/T traffic and the general-purpose lanes now have only one ramp available.

Then there is this oddity from southbound 416 to westbound 401 in Ontario. My sat-nav wanted me to take the longer way where you exit 416 to 16, then exit that to the right onto 401. I followed it just to see if there was any particular reason to go that way. There wasn't. Maybe whoever programmed the sat-nav knew the BGS for the longer route says "TO/VERS U.S.A." and got confused when programming it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ran4sh

In the Richmond VA area there are also redundant ramps at the I-64/I-295 interchange, from I-295 south to I-64 east. A flyover and a cloverleaf loop ramp. There seems to be no reason to have left the original loop ramp, as there is no additional access provided.

In the Atlanta GA area at the I-75/I-285 interchange, the original loop ramp from I-75 south to I-285 east remained after a flyover ramp was constructed for that movement. Currently its existence is justified as providing access to I-285 east for traffic that entered I-75 south from Windy Hill Road. However that wasn't always the case, in the past Windy Hill Road traffic had access to the flyover ramp which made the loop ramp redundant.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

skluth

Northbound I-170 has two left-lane exits to westbound I-70 near St Louis Lambert Airport. The original is the left-lane exit to left-lane entrance. The second ramp was built to reduce the number of drivers crossing all the lanes on I-70 to reach the first airport exit which serves the East Terminal. I doubt there are many dual/ redundant ramps that are both left-lane exits.

wanderer2575

Northbound M-53 at 26 Mile Road in Washington, MI has two exit ramps to the roundabout interchange.  This used to be a five- or six-ramp parclo before the roundabouts were built, but I assume this now-redundancy was kept to reduce the amount of northbound-to-westbound traffic going through the roundabout.
https://goo.gl/maps/MwkjnX16TvvV5s9z5

In Novi, MI, where the ramps from eastbound I-96 to eastbound I-696 and M-5 split, one can take the ramp to M-5 and then after merging use a cloverleaf ramp back to I-696.  The cloverleaf ramp is intended for M-5 traffic, but it's accessible to traffic from eastbound I-96.
https://goo.gl/maps/KiMQa9ugoWtJ6K8s7

GaryV

The trivial instance of this is for any freeway with service drives.  Say you're going nb and miss your exit. Just continue to the next exit, loop around onto the sb service drive, and go back to where you wanted to be.

There's an anti-example at I-696 eb.  Instead of a second chance to exit, you have a second chance to decide to not exit.  Take the exit onto M-10, keep to the left, and you'll find a ramp back to I-696.  The same thing can be done wb as well.

1995hoo

Another I thought of: In Virginia on northbound I-395, Exit 8A gives you the option of accessing Pentagon City via a ramp that joins Exit 8C. The reason for the overlap is that Exit 8A also has connections from other streets in the area and the ramp that joins Exit 8C exists primarily for that traffic, though it can be a bypass route when traffic is heavy.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

Eastbound I-394 to southbound MN 100 in Golden Valley has this. You first come to a ramp split for MN 100 South and Westside Drive. If you take the Westside fork, you merge with a ramp coming off Cedar Lake Road to southbound MN 100, which has another fork for southbound 100 or exiting on Westside.

I personally think they should close the first ramp to 100 South and have the 394/100 merge point be at where the second fork is.

Also, westbound MN 62 to westbound US 212 in Edina. The main 62/212 split happens just past Gleason Road, but for those getting on WB 62 from Gleason or from US 169, there's a second exit ramp back to 212 just past 169 that I think I will get killed at every time I go through it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

dlsterner

-  Near me in Maryland is the interchange where northbound US 29 meets I-70.  After passing the first exit which you can use to take I-70 to Baltimore :poke:, there is a right loop exit to westbound I-70 followed immediately by a left turn to another ramp to I-70 westbound.

Even though the latter exit has a traffic light, I usually personally prefer it as it's easier to pick up merging speed than it is on a loop ramp.

-  In Virginia, on northbound I-95 just north of Emporia there are two exits to northbound US 301.

I suspect that the first ramp is a remnant from when US 301 was the mainline, and what is now I-95 was a just a bypass of Emporia.

-  There's also the famous one near Portland ME where northbound I-95 turns onto northbound I-295.  The first exit goes through a tool booth, the second does not.  A shunpiker's dream!

Occidental Tourist

The La Palma Avenue exits on I-5 north in Anaheim.  The first exit is an exit that is signed for La Palma Avenue that requires a right turn onto Brookhurst Street to then either turn left onto La Palma Avenue west (crossing several lanes to do so) or turn right onto La Palma Avenue east (staying in the right hand lane after the turn onto Brookhurst to do so).

The second exit is a right hand exit that is signed for and puts you directly onto to La Palma Avenue east.

vdeane

The quintessential Rochester example is here; one of those ramps was supposed to be for I-390, which wasn't built (what is today I-390 north of exit 15 was to be part of I-590).

This interchange is a double example.  Exit 2A on I-590 south allows access to both directions of NY 31.  More recently, the ramp from NY 31 east to I-590 south was reconfigured to allow access from both directions of NY 31.

Over in the Capital district, exits 3 and 4 of the Northway.  This wasn't supposed to be this way.  NB exit 4 was supposed to become right turn only and SB exit 4 was to be removed entirely.  Instead, NB exit 4 was retained in full and SB exit 4 realigned, resulting in two lights that should have been removed being retained and exit 3 being underutilized.

US 9 and Quay Street getting on I-787 north has three ramps for what is basically two roads (that merge into one).  Each road has two opportunities to get on I-787 north (the third ramp is shared since it's past the merge point).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

I-75 SB at I-285 EB north of Atlanta has one.

I-95 SB at I-10 in Jacksonville has one now.
I-95 NB at I-195 in Miami has two exits to avoid weaving with I-395 traffic.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheStranger

One that has been in place since the 1960s in San Francisco:

From the westbound lanes of I-80 past the Bay Bridge, one can either exit to Fremont Street ramp or to Harrison Street ramp - but BOTH end up leading you towards Fremont Street a block from the freeway!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Harrison+St+%26+Fremont+St,+San+Francisco,+CA+94105/@37.7867846,-122.3942689,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x8085807a467ff6bf:0xa068a9ca7e43988e!8m2!3d37.7867846!4d-122.3920802

---

Something not quite the same deal, but almost: the offramps from US 50 east to Hazel Avenue and Aerojet Road in Gold River, both of which lead to Folsom Boulevard near the Hazel light rail station:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Aerojet+Rd,+Rancho+Cordova,+CA/@38.6305684,-121.2155521,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x809ae672be903913:0x3589285cc253dbc4!8m2!3d38.6262721!4d-121.1950514

And one that kinda counts but kinda doesn't: the ramps from I-280 south to Alemany Boulevard in SF.  The first one though is from the ramp that carries US 101 south to I-280 south (and was US 101 from the mid-1950s to 1964) -
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7350723,-122.4139719,17z

---

In the South Bay, the half-diamond, half-semi-directional T setup at Route 85, Route 87, and Santa Teresa Boulevard offers several opportunities for redundant movements:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Santa+Teresa+Blvd,+San+Jose,+CA/@37.2567465,-121.8588481,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x808e2fc67fd8da0b:0x3cbd1a3b9aac27ff!8m2!3d37.2276204!4d-121.7782579

This left turn lane, for instance, leads to a ramp that duplicates a direct right-hand ramp from Route 87 south to Route 85 north:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.257089,-121.8590195,3a,75y,143.25h,71.64t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sW0bB85lgPgaOgCNMtproAw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DW0bB85lgPgaOgCNMtproAw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D321.93332%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Chris Sampang

SkyPesos

Lots of this in OhioDOT D6, with braided ramps to get exiting traffic to the right side so they don't have to manually cross a lot of lanes (though definitely not redundant).

- I-270 NB to Easton Way and OH 161. Nothing's stopping you from crossing 3-5 lanes to exit if you miss the first ramp.
- Same thing here for I-270 WB to Avery-Muirfield Dr. Second chance to exit.
- And I-71 SB to Stringtown Rd, with its second chance.

pianocello

In Tampa, if you want to go from NB SR 589 (and I-275 SB) to SR 60 west towards Clearwater, there are two ramps: the first one that's signed directs you past the airport entrance and ultimately forces you to go through a small weaving maneuver. The second one bypasses all that, you just have to know to ignore the first "SR 60 West - Clearwater" sign you see.

(Street view)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

SeriesE

I-880 N, Dixon Landing Road exit has two ramps, but both directions of Dixon Landing Road can be accessed by both ramps.

I-880 S, CA-237 W can be accessed from both CA-237 exits

both are in Milpitas, CA

jeffandnicole

In NJ, to access I-76 West from I-295 North, one can take Exit 26 to enter I-76 on the left, or Exit 27 to enter I-76 on the right.

In Delaware, there are two ramps from DE 1 to I-95 North: 165C on the left, which splits to allow a motorist to join I-95 North on the left or right, and Exit 165B, which joins the ramp from Exit 165C meeting I-95 on the right.

Revive 755

Also in the St. Louis area:

* I-44 at MO 141 in Fenton:  WB I-44 to SB MO 141 can be accomplished by using the newer loop ramp or making a left.  There's a somewhat similar situation for SB MO 141 to EB I-44:  The movement can be made using the newer flyover or making a left turn at South Highway Drive and using the previous ramp.

* I-270/I-255 to US 61-67: First ramp comes off the former C-D roadway for the ramps to I-55.  Then there's the second, older ramp from I-255 to US 61-67 east of I-55, though getting through traffic entering I-255 from I-55 can get interesting.

* Prior to the rebuild that added flyovers to the I-44/I-270 interchange, it was possible to get from EB I-44 to EB MO 366 by going through the C-D roadway with the ramps to I-270 or taking the later direct ramp. 

US 89

Exit 122 on I-80 in Utah is entirely redundant. Everywhere it goes can also be accessed by taking exit 123AB from I-80 and then taking the next ramp to the right, which is there because traffic entering I-80 from State Street cannot access the westbound mainline.

Exit 122 is signed as "2100 S/1300 S/900 S", while the other ramp is "I-15 North/I-80 West". But they go to the exact same destinations, and in fact dump into the I-15 northbound C/D road within a couple hundred feet of each other.

roadman65

SR 528 in Central Florida has both SR 407 NB to reach I-95 plus a direct ramp later. The407 connection is shorter.

Then SB I-95 has the SR 407 exit and the 528 cloverleaf both to connect SB to WB with SR 407 again being shorter.

Sheryl Crowe

wanderer2575

Let's not forget I-70 exits 361 and 363 in Limon, CO.

roadman65

Oh yeah and traffic from I-95 N Bound to MD 193 has two ramps. One from Exit 22A and the other via the BW Parkway also from 22A.

Sheryl Crowe

ran4sh

Quote from: roadman65 on January 25, 2022, 09:17:09 PM
I-75 SB at I-285 EB north of Atlanta has one.

I-95 SB at I-10 in Jacksonville has one now.
I-95 NB at I-195 in Miami has two exits to avoid weaving with I-395 traffic.

The I-10 approach to I-95 also has redundant ramps, the first split is signed with I-95 south on the left and I-95 north on the right (https://goo.gl/maps/crUmEQgmz9W11aRr5), but continuing on either side gives access to both north and south (https://goo.gl/maps/7SgxX3YJHFZYg3GY9). The right side needs access to both directions due to the on-ramp from Stockton St, but the left side could omit the ramp to I-95 north and it would still be a complete interchange.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.