What You Like (and Dislike) About Where You Live

Started by ZLoth, April 02, 2022, 11:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 11, 2022, 02:10:28 PM
Yes--the thinking behind the plate is to make the car a harder target, not to prevent theft in any absolute sense.

There's plenty of product packaging like this as well - even items as small as a toothbrush often have packaging that doesn't outright prevent someone from stealing it, but make it particularly annoying and time-consuming to open.

1995hoo

.... Garages über alles.

I agree with that, although it's not necessarily that easy if you have more cars than the space available in your garage. We have a one-car garage, for example, so even if we only had two cars, one would be parked outside, and that one would be my wife's because for whatever reason, she has extreme difficulty simply backing straight out of the garage (an issue that was the subject of its own thread in 2015) or, really, even just from the driveway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on April 11, 2022, 10:15:30 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on April 10, 2022, 04:48:17 PM
Stealing catalytic converters is a big thing around here. When we were looking to buy our current house, the other option was one that was bigger and a little bit nicer inside but had no garage. We opted for this house with its two car garage and it's paid off as three cars on our block have had cat converters stolen in the past year.

Our friends in Mexico (Kansas-plated vehicle) had at least three of their four catalytic converters stolen a couple of years ago.  While it was at the mechanic's.  He suspects it was even one of the workers there.

Everyone recommended that he not replace them because, if he does, they'll just get stolen again.
Isn't driving without a catalytic converter fairly dangerous with a risk for the exhaust chemicals getting in the car?  I remember reading something like that somewhere.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 11, 2022, 04:47:35 PM
.... Garages über alles.

I agree with that, although it's not necessarily that easy if you have more cars than the space available in your garage. We have a one-car garage, for example, so even if we only had two cars, one would be parked outside, and that one would be my wife's because for whatever reason, she has extreme difficulty simply backing straight out of the garage (an issue that was the subject of its own thread in 2015) or, really, even just from the driveway.

Yup--we've had our own spells of not being able to garage 100% of the family fleet, and in cases where a house has stood for decades without any covered car parking, I've found $20,000 just to build a detached garage to be a tough sell.

Carports help with hail, but not catalytic converter thefts, and don't really make it possible to use a battery maintainer with the hood left open.  I've also heard of people pulling ballistic nylon netting on frames over cars parked in the driveway whenever heavy thunderstorms are in the forecast.

Quote from: vdeane on April 11, 2022, 08:34:06 PMIsn't driving without a catalytic converter fairly dangerous with a risk for the exhaust chemicals getting in the car?  I remember reading something like that somewhere.

It is unhealthy, unsafe, and illegal, since it is against federal law to disable an emissions control device.  But the most pressing disadvantage is the noise.  When a converter is deliberately removed by the vehicle owner (often because it is plugged by residue from years and years of oil burning and is registered in a state with no vehicle inspection except in connection with re-titling), it is typically replaced with a straight pipe.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on April 11, 2022, 08:34:06 PM
Isn't driving without a catalytic converter fairly dangerous with a risk for the exhaust chemicals getting in the car?  I remember reading something like that somewhere.

In our old 2004 Grand Caravan, a shade-tree mechanic replaced the cat (it only had one) but welded it on completely backwards by mistake.  We drove with it like that for 100k miles, and we didn't die.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

index

Quote from: index on April 08, 2022, 01:16:20 PM

• Whereabouts do you live (in general terms) including nearby major metro areas?
I live in Boone, NC for college.

• How long you lived there?
Since May 31, 2021. I would have lived here full time, but due to developing a disability in August, my living arrangement didn't work out. I had to move from unincorporated Watauga County into the dorms that month.

• What you like about where you live now?
The scenery is good. I don't have to rely on my car and I can walk or take the bus most places. You can usually find something to do most days, primarily recreation-wise. Beech Mountain is nice. You have access to the Tri-Cities in a short drive if you run out of things to do and you want to look somewhere else, or you're just bored. The springs and summers aren't nearly as hot and humid as they are in lower elevations.

• What you dislike about where you live now?
Sometimes it just gets boring, being a small town. You can run out of people to meet pretty fast. The traffic is pretty horrendous for a town this size. Sometimes the winters can drag on. Snow is cool and all for a few days, but I get sick of it after there's been a foot on the ground for three weeks, you're trudging through snow-covered sidewalks, you're bundling up in tons of layers for 15 degree weather, only to have to take them all off so you don't sweat profusely indoors, and your pantlegs are always wet. The parking situation is terrible, and if the buses aren't running I have to walk up a massive hill just to get to my car. Sometimes I have to drive to Lenoir or Morganton to do something I can't get done here.

• Hows the road trip opportunities?
We have plenty of scenic routes. The famous Blue Ridge Parkway, and plenty of backroads to look around. I like to drive around aimlessly, and Boone is an excellent starting point for excursions deeper into the mountains and into Tennessee. I've found myself in Kentucky twice. You're only 1.5-2.5 hours from places like Asheville.

• Where are would you love to move to?
I want to settle down in the Tri-Cities when I finish college. The cost of living is cheap compared to other places and there's plenty of job opportunities for what I'll have finished studying. I'm honestly not a fan of cities that are too big (I never liked the sprawl, size, and lack of things to do in Charlotte), so they seem like the right size for me. You still have a lot of the advantages of Boone. Access to the mountains, scenic areas, ski areas, etc.

It looks like I'll be in the Tri-Cities earlier than I expected. After a staff member here apparently started spreading rumors about my disabilty, which led to a series of events that can only be described as extremely distressing, I no longer feel comfortable nor welcome at my school, which led me to apply to transfer to ETSU. I think this would be better for me anyway regardless of whether that happened or not. I spend a lot of time in Johnson City and I have three friends in the area who are honestly better people than those I know here.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Scott5114

Just for clarification, by "a staff member here" you mean at your college, and not a staff member at AARoads, right?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

HighwayStar

Stealing catalytic converters is a big thing around here. When we were looking to buy our current house, the other option was one that was bigger and a little bit nicer inside but had no garage. We opted for this house with its two car garage and it's paid off as three cars on our block have had cat converters stolen in the past year.

Our friends in Mexico (Kansas-plated vehicle) had at least three of their four catalytic converters stolen a couple of years ago.  While it was at the mechanic's.  He suspects it was even one of the workers there.

Everyone recommended that he not replace them because, if he does, they'll just get stolen again.

If you just leave the exhaust ending where it does under the car yes, not a good idea.
If you put in straight pipes to take it to the back and do a proper job it should be fine. Of course at that point  you could put in actual converters, at least junkyard ones if nothing else.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

kphoger

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 14, 2022, 07:21:08 PM

If you just leave the exhaust ending where it does under the car yes, not a good idea.
If you put in straight pipes to take it to the back and do a proper job it should be fine. Of course at that point  you could put in actual converters, at least junkyard ones if nothing else.

Which brings me back to the reason he didn't replace them to begin with.  Are we just going to keep going round in circles?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: index on April 14, 2022, 10:49:06 AM
It looks like I'll be in the Tri-Cities earlier than I expected. After a staff member here apparently started spreading rumors about my disabilty, which led to a series of events that can only be described as extremely distressing, I no longer feel comfortable nor welcome at my school, which led me to apply to transfer to ETSU. I think this would be better for me anyway regardless of whether that happened or not. I spend a lot of time in Johnson City and I have three friends in the area who are honestly better people than those I know here.

I'm sorry for your situation!
Which Tri-Cities?  The ones I'm most familiar with are in Washington State, Kennewick, Pasco, Richland.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kkt on April 14, 2022, 08:37:28 PM
Quote from: index on April 14, 2022, 10:49:06 AM

I'm sorry for your situation!
Which Tri-Cities?  The ones I'm most familiar with are in Washington State, Kennewick, Pasco, Richland.

The Tri-Cities region in Tennessee, and a little bit Virginia.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2022, 08:22:24 PM
Are we just going to keep going round in circles?

It's HighwayStar, so history has shown that the answer is probably yes.

index

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 14, 2022, 06:34:21 PM
Just for clarification, by "a staff member here" you mean at your college, and not a staff member at AARoads, right?

Yeah. I apologize, I probably should've been more specific.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 15, 2022, 02:47:13 AM

Highway stars going in circles? Now all I can think about is the stars on the "Eisenhower Interstate System" signs.

HighwayStar

Quote from: webny99 on April 16, 2022, 07:43:25 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 15, 2022, 02:47:13 AM

Highway stars going in circles? Now all I can think about is the stars on the "Eisenhower Interstate System" signs.

I wonder what percentage of motorists actually know why those are there. My guess, somewhere below 5%.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

jgb191

What I like about South Texas is that we have the most attractive climate anywhere in the world!  Temperatures averaging around 50 low/ 70 high throughout the winter, and around 80 low/100 high throughout the summer.  And we are too far south that things like tornadoes and frozen precipitation are extremely rare to happen.  We can enjoy golfing and beach activities practically any day of the year, even on Christmas.

It is also the most affordable region in the country; I do not know of any place else where a paycheck can go farther than here.  And the people are very much laid-back and easy-going (just like me).

Where we could improve on is adding more things to do.  It's sort of a depressing feeling that South Texas can't match the tourism activity that South Florida constantly enjoys.  Forget about Miami, I'm just wishing that Corpus Christi could rival other places like Ft. Myers, Daytona Beach, Ft. Walton/Destin, Melbourne/Cocoa Beach areas in attracting visitors/tourists.  We are known for a good boating, fishing, and bird-watching city, but we seem to be lagging in the charm that several places in South Florida seem to have.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Scott5114

I dunno, I found Port A very charming whenever I went there in 2019. But I was only there for three days, and I was there to go to the beach, so it's possible I wouldn't have the same opinion after a longer stay. But I did like it enough to want to go back.

I think most people aren't as tolerant of highs in the 100s as people like you and me who experience that every summer, though. Corpus also gets really humid, so I'm willing to bet it's pretty uncomfortable that time of year.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jgb191 on April 17, 2022, 04:39:38 AM
What I like about South Texas is that we have the most attractive climate anywhere in the world!  Temperatures averaging around 50 low/ 70 high throughout the winter, and around 80 low/100 high throughout the summer.

That sounds terrible to me. I like places with a high diurnal shift as well as seasons.

bandit957

I like beaches and warm, dry weather.

Unfortunately, my area is the exact opposite of all that.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

andrepoiy

I will post two: one for my college town and the other for where I've always lived: I feel like I am a resident of both at the same time as I go between the two fairly often.

First: College town

Whereabouts do you live (in general terms) including nearby major metro areas?  Kingston, Ontario

How long you lived there?  Since September 2021, although was absent for a 2-month gap due to lockdown from Jan-Feb 2022.

What do you like about where you live now?  I live in one of the oldest parts of the city, in a limestone building built in the 1800s. It certainly is very different from the car-dependent, cookie-cutter suburb I grew up in. The neighbourhood has a bunch of variety of buildings, and is very walkable - I can do everything without a car. And for slightly longer distances, I get on my bike. There is no bike infrastructure, however, the roads in this area do not have too much car traffic to be scared. I live car-free and when I do need a car (to go home for example), I just use Communauto, a car-sharing service. I have calculated the costs and it is cheaper to use that than it is to pay for a car, parking, gas, insurance, and have it sit there parked for the majority of the time.

What you dislike about where you live now? 
Unfortunately, because I live in a walkable area, big box stores that I have grown accustomed to, such as Walmart, are inaccessible. I could technically take the bus out to the burbs to the only Walmart here, but is it really worth the time to save $3? Same goes for fast food. I am also not accustomed to stores closing as early as 6 PM on Sundays - that just doesn't really happen in Toronto. As for the city itself, there isn't too much to do, but of course, I came from a bigger city, so that should be expected. Not many 100k population cities have rock concerts, I guess, so perhaps it really isn't bad for its size.

How are the road trip opportunities?  Ehhhh, within a 3-hour drive, the largest cities are just Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa, which I've been to countless times. I could go down to the States as well, which the nearest town would be Watertown NY, with Syracuse being another 2-hour drive. However, due to the border restriction, I haven't gotten the chance to go south yet.

Second: Home

Whereabouts do you live (in general terms) including nearby major metro areas?  Vaughan, Ontario (suburb north of Toronto)

How long you lived there?  Since I was 3 years old.

What do you like about where you live now? 
Vaughan is one of the better-positioned suburbs, as it is almost directly north of downtown Toronto in longitude. Thus, compared to Markham, ON, for example, getting downtown is a lot better, with better transit options (subway, or frequent commuter rail) and freeway options. In addition, Vaughan has been selected as the municipality in the region to get all the investment, as it recently got the new subway extension, a lot of improvements to its GO line (commuter train), and it also gets significant funding for new road projects (Major Mackenzie Drive, Highway 427 recently). It is also building a brand new downtown core with high-density housing adjacent to the new subway line.

York Region is also more forward-thinking with regards to transportation. For example, while Peel Region (which contains Mississauga and Brampton) and Halton Region (which contains Oakville) continued to widen roads to 6-lane boulevards with medians, York Region does not permit that, only allowing 6 lane roads if one of them is HOV. In addition, with every new road reconstruction, there is better bike infrastructure.

What you dislike about where you live now? 
Despite what I said about being more forward-thinking with roads, York Region Transit would be the worst transit system in the area with regard to its population. Unlike Mississauga and Brampton, which have understood that good transit induces more ridership (if the bus comes every 10 minutes, more people would be enticed to ride compared to if the bus comes every hour). YRT doesn't understand that and continues to be reactive to ridership instead of proactive. In addition, Vaughan at its core is still a car-dependent, bedroom community, with low-density housing for most of its land area. Finally, with all of Toronto, the housing prices are insane. There is no way I will be able to own a home in the future. $1 million houses is smh.

How are the road trip opportunities? 
The largest cities are a bit far (5 hours for Montreal, Ottawa, 4 hours to Detroit). So not that much for a day trip.

Where are would you love to move to?  I really like Montreal. I also really like Los Angeles. Montreal for its culture, walkability, relatively good transit, entertainment, and uniqueness, while LA for its weather, diversity entertainment, and terrain.
In addition, I'd like to spend a year or two in the future in Asia (perhaps Bangkok or Taipei) teaching English, to know what it's like to live in Asia.

jgb191

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 17, 2022, 05:04:13 AM
I dunno, I found Port A very charming whenever I went there in 2019. But I was only there for three days, and I was there to go to the beach, so it's possible I wouldn't have the same opinion after a longer stay. But I did like it enough to want to go back.

I think most people aren't as tolerant of highs in the 100s as people like you and me who experience that every summer, though. Corpus also gets really humid, so I'm willing to bet it's pretty uncomfortable that time of year.

When you say 'Port A', I'm pretty sure you mean Port Aransas right?  Because there is Port Arthur, which is also commonly referred to as Port A in their local area.  Yeah Port Aransas and Rockport/Fulton each have a bit of a charm.  And Port Aransas is quite popular especially among Spring Breakers, but the small area gets way too crowded during peak season and the traffic lines for the ferry can be almost hour-long even with running full capacity.  There also used to be a casino night cruise called Texas Treasure that would take passengers eleven miles away from the coast and then back again.

There are plans in the future to upgrade the North Beach section of Corpus Christi by adding a theme park, cruise port docks, concert amphitheater, and a canal for water taxis (similar to the Riverwalk in San Antonio).

https://www.cctexas.com/sites/default/files/North%20Beach%20Development%20Plan.pdf

https://www.corpuschristi-mpo.org/01_mtp/2020-2045/publicmeeting_1/CorpusChristi-North-Beach-Development-Plan.pdf

https://www.northbeach.cc/

Scott5114

Quote from: jgb191 on April 17, 2022, 04:38:23 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 17, 2022, 05:04:13 AM

When you say 'Port A', I'm pretty sure you mean Port Aransas right?  Because there is Port Arthur, which is also commonly referred to as Port A in their local area.  Yeah Port Aransas and Rockport/Fulton each have a bit of a charm.  And Port Aransas is quite popular especially among Spring Breakers, but the small area gets way too crowded during peak season and the traffic lines for the ferry can be almost hour-long even with running full capacity.  There also used to be a casino night cruise called Texas Treasure that would take passengers eleven miles away from the coast and then back again.

Yeah, Port Aransas. I went during the middle of the week right after Memorial Day, so it wasn't too crowded. I also avoided the ferry by taking the PR 22 bridge over.

jgb191

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 17, 2022, 05:04:13 AMI think most people aren't as tolerant of highs in the 100s as people like you and me who experience that every summer, though. Corpus also gets really humid, so I'm willing to bet it's pretty uncomfortable that time of year.

As far as our climate goes, yes the city does see dew points average close to 80 degrees (and several days each year past that mark) during the summer season, so it averages the highest Heat Index in the country.  But during the summer afternoons, the strong sea breezes help temper the humidity; I've seen several sources indicate that Corpus Christi is one of the windiest cities in North America.  However it's during the summer nights that you really feel uncomfortable due to the lack of the sea breeze.

And judging by others' opinions about their comfort levels, I would guess that my heat tolerance probably is higher than the average person.

kphoger

Quote from: jgb191 on April 18, 2022, 01:11:54 AM
As far as our climate goes, yes the city does see dew points average close to 80 degrees (and several days each year past that mark) during the summer season, so it averages the highest Heat Index in the country.  But during the summer afternoons, the strong sea breezes help temper the humidity; I've seen several sources indicate that Corpus Christi is one of the windiest cities in North America.  However it's during the summer nights that you really feel uncomfortable due to the lack of the sea breeze.

And judging by others' opinions about their comfort levels, I would guess that my heat tolerance probably is higher than the average person.

When our family and my parents vacationed on Galveston Island this past July, it just seemed a bit wrong that clothes hung outside dried less quickly than clothes hung inside.

Contrast that to my more common destination of northern Mexico, where you can hang your clothes on the line to dry and, by the time you're done hanging them all up, you can already snap the first item in half like a cracker.
[/hyperbole]
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Bumping this to ask if there's anyone that's lived in Las Vegas that might want to share what they like and dislike about it. My "dislike" list for Oklahoma is getting to be too long, so I'm interested in a change of scenery.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.