News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Car Washes

Started by webny99, April 08, 2022, 01:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

The below quote from another thread got me thinking... what is the car wash scene like in your area?

Quote from: webny99 on April 08, 2022, 01:16:00 PM
Also, Delta Sonic >>> other car washes. Royal Car Wash is also expanding in this area, and they're pretty good too, but your car mirrors always get bumped in at the end, which is a bit annoying.

I think Delta Sonic is one of the best around - always extremely busy during the winter season and they're building a double-tube at their Henrietta location, which might be a first. They're primarily located in upstate NY, with one Erie, PA location and a random but somewhat sizeable presence in Illinois as well.

Also, I've often wondered... has anyone never been through a conveyor-style car wash? It's part of learning how to drive in this area (using neutral!) and definitely something everyone should do at least once in their lifetime.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on April 08, 2022, 01:21:41 PM
Also, I've often wondered... has anyone never been through a conveyor-style car wash? It's part of learning how to drive in this area (using neutral!) and definitely something everyone should do at least once in their lifetime.

I did for the first time this year.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 08, 2022, 01:30:00 PM

I did for the first time this year.

:cheers:

7/8

The below quote from another thread got me thinking... what is the car wash scene like in your area?

Also, Delta Sonic >>> other car washes. Royal Car Wash is also expanding in this area, and they're pretty good too, but your car mirrors always get bumped in at the end, which is a bit annoying.

I think Delta Sonic is one of the best around - always extremely busy during the winter season and they're building a double-tube at their Henrietta location, which might be a first. They're primarily located in upstate NY, with one Erie, PA location and a random but somewhat sizeable presence in Illinois as well.

I've never been in a conveyor-style car wash. :colorful: Every automatic car wash I've done, you pull up and put your front left tire in a small "brace" (can't think of a better word) which ensures the car is positioned correctly, then you put the car in park. The car sits in the same spot while being washed. Near the end, a sign tells you when to pull forward to exit and the car gets air-dried as you leave.

Ted$8roadFan

In the Boston area, most of our choices are older, no doubt because land costs are so high. Most of them are also locally-owned and are mostly the conveyor-belt style. I prefer the touchless/DIY Type, especially since I got my new car. 

Ted$8roadFan

Until recently, I only used the conveyor-style car wash (as it us the one closest to my house). It was definitely an experience, especially when I first learned how to use a stick-shift after I got my license. I stopped using them because I didn't like the idea of direct contact on my new car. Nonetheless, it should definitely be something everyone tries.

interstatefan990

Has anyone never been to a non-conveyor car wash? The one where you park your car and it's washed manually? I personally haven't.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on April 08, 2022, 01:32:37 PM
I've never been in a conveyor-style car wash. :colorful: Every automatic car wash I've done, you pull up and put your front left tire in a small "brace" (can't think of a better word) which ensures the car is positioned correctly, then you put the car in park. The car sits in the same spot while being washed. Near the end, a sign tells you when to pull forward to exit and the car gets air-dried as you leave.

Wow! I have also heard that car washes are also much more expensive in Canada than they are here. Upstate NY is an extremely competitive car wash market. At one point, Delta Sonic's unlimited program was just $12.99/month. Now, it's closer to $25 or $30 per month for unlimited washes (often 5-10 washes per month in the worst winter months). If you have the unlimited program, you get a sticker for your window that gets scanned when you enter, and you can use a designated "Super Lane" to enter so no interaction with anyone is needed.

As far as functionality, Delta (and Royal) work just the same as what you describe, but you put your car in neutral instead of park.

webny99

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 08, 2022, 01:42:15 PM
Has anyone never been to a non-conveyor car wash? The one where you park your car and it's washed manually? I personally haven't.

No, but I have been to the kind where you pull in and wash your own car (it's either free or very inexpensive, I can't remember). It's mostly for large trucks or other vehicles that are too big to fit in the automated car washes.

kphoger

The one where you park your car and it's washed manually?

You mean like a fundraiser in a church parking lot?   :-D
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on April 08, 2022, 01:50:30 PM

Or your driveway? :)

1995hoo

My mother has never driven through a conveyor-style car wash–she freely admits she is afraid to do so and is unwilling to try even with someone else in the car–but she's been through as a passenger. She won't even drive into the type where you drive in and then the machine rotates around your car. The only one she's ever been willing to use was a Mr. Wash location in Vienna (I think it's gone now) where you drove up and got out of the car and an employee put it on the conveyor.

I don't normally go to a conveyor-style because I prefer the one that rotates around the car (less chance of scratching a rim). The one I used until recently when the gas station closed and was demolished didn't have the "brace" user "7/8" describes further up the thread–you just drove in, stopped when the red light came on, shifted to neutral and set the handbrake, and then drove under the dryer when the green light came on. There is another car wash with an identical system slightly further away and I'll go there next time I need a wash locally. When we're in Florida, we usually use a "pull in and sit still" machine that is not touchfree because down there the amount of bug splat on the front of the car seems to cause touchfree ones to be less effective.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Yes, there's one a few blocks south.  It's entirely indoors and really convenient in the winter, when it's 2 degrees F, but it's dry out and you still need all the winter schmutz cleaned off your car.

interstatefan990

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 08, 2022, 01:58:22 PM

Or your driveway? :)

Or literally anywhere outdoors when it's raining? Darn, I wasn't specific enough :D
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

formulanone

Hand-wash only. Preferably by my hands.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on April 08, 2022, 02:54:04 PM

I thought that was a joke at first.  Like, what else would you use?  Your knees?
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on April 08, 2022, 03:04:54 PM
Quote from: formulanone on April 08, 2022, 02:54:04 PM

I thought that was a joke at first.  Like, what else would you use?  Your knees?

I let my kids wash it too, but they need assistance and reminders.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 08, 2022, 01:58:40 PM
When we're in Florida, we usually use a "pull in and sit still" machine that is not touchfree because down there the amount of bug splat on the front of the car seems to cause touchfree ones to be less effective.

Bugs might be the only thing worse than salt/winter weather when it comes to keeping your windshield clear. Even washer fluid often just makes the smears bigger. Delta Sonic uses a pre-spray for bugs in the summer that seems to be pretty effective.

triplemultiplex

Argh, dammit!  Thanks for the earworm....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlARiwAazQI
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Max Rockatansky

Red Carpet Car Wash is probably the best in the Fresno area if you want full service and access to on site detailing options.

wriddle082

Throughout North Carolina and parts of Virginia (at least that's where I've seen them) it's Auto Bell.  Because people can tell.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 08, 2022, 01:58:40 PM
I don't normally go to a conveyor-style because I prefer the one that rotates around the car (less chance of scratching a rim). The one I used until recently when the gas station closed and was demolished didn't have the "brace" user "7/8" describes further up the thread–you just drove in, stopped when the red light came on, shifted to neutral and set the handbrake, and then drove under the dryer when the green light came on. There is another car wash with an identical system slightly further away and I'll go there next time I need a wash locally. When we're in Florida, we usually use a "pull in and sit still" machine that is not touchfree because down there the amount of bug splat on the front of the car seems to cause touchfree ones to be less effective.

This is the only kind of automatic car wash I've ever used. I don't know if there even are any conveyor-style ones around here. If there are, I don't know where.

Quote from: webny99 on April 08, 2022, 01:44:47 PM

No, but I have been to the kind where you pull in and wash your own car (it's either free or very inexpensive, I can't remember). It's mostly for large trucks or other vehicles that are too big to fit in the automated car washes.

This is the kind I've used most frequently. The one I used most often is coin-operated, where each quarter would give you so many minutes of spray from the wand, and you could choose from a few different kinds of cleaning agents. (I don't remember whether it charged for plain water.)

Once I started living in an actual house I just started doing it in the driveway. It's cheaper and doesn't take all that much more time than driving to a car wash and back would.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SectorZ

I never realized that so many parts of the US have a lack of conveyor-style touch car washes. Touchless car washes around me didn't even really exist until 20 years ago (outside of the do-it-yourself ones).

I like washing my own car in the spring and summer, but once salt hits I routinely use car washes for the undercarriage wash to blast the salt off. I actually enjoying washing my car myself.

HighwayStar

Used a conveyor style once, and it was not in the northeast.

One thing I will say is larger east coast cities seem to lack self service washes in sufficient numbers if they have them at all.

I refuse to use any "touch" car wash, and frankly I usually hand wash at home or wash with a self service wash for best bang for the buck.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

skluth

I've only used conveyor-style car washes. Some were touchless while others had giant spinning brushes and other complex machinery in motion. I've never heard of a car wash where you put your car in park to use it. But I mostly just wash my own car.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.