News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What selling platforms do you use?

Started by Pink Jazz, April 29, 2022, 11:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I would like to know, what selling platforms do you use to sell your stuff?

In order of sales numbers, I use eBay, Facebook Marketplace, Mercari, and Poshmark. For clothing I also use Depop.

While most of what I sell is clothing (mainly IZOD and Nautica clothes with occasional Chaps, US Polo Assn, Van Heusen, and Arrow), I have also sold a few other items like a pink OtterBox case for my old Samsung Galaxy Note 8, old wireless routers, an MSI/AMD Radeon GPU, some used Honeywell thermostats, used kitchen faucets (one Moen, one Delta), a Leviton USB outlet, and a Lutron Skylark dimmer.

Max Rockatansky

I don't think that I've ever sold a sign I've owned in anything but an in-person cash transaction.  About as high tech as I got with anything else was just up-posting Craigslist ads for selling goods cash only every time I moved across the country. 

kphoger

The last thing I sold online was probably 13 or 14 years ago.  It was an electric guitar, and I sold it on Craigslist to a man in New Hampshire.  Shipped it UPS, COD.

So I'm probably no help to you.   :)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

I sell things so infrequently, FB Marketplace usually suits my needs.

Whenever my wife and I get new phones, I would usually sell the old ones (and for far more than I paid for them), but when we got new phones earlier this month, Verizon was offering $700 per phone, so I didn't even bother.

Takumi

Usually Craigslist. When I sold my Fiero a couple months ago I used that, and I'll be using it when I finally get around to selling my Aristo.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Takumi on April 29, 2022, 02:30:28 PM
Usually Craigslist. When I sold my Fiero a couple months ago I used that, and I’ll be using it when I finally get around to selling my Aristo.

I quit selling on Craigslist due to too many scams. I occasionally use OfferUp for large, unshippable items.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Pink Jazz on April 29, 2022, 03:40:54 PM
Quote from: Takumi on April 29, 2022, 02:30:28 PM
Usually Craigslist. When I sold my Fiero a couple months ago I used that, and I'll be using it when I finally get around to selling my Aristo.

I quit selling on Craigslist due to too many scams. I occasionally use OfferUp for large, unshippable items.

Craigslist only really works if you physically meet with people and take cash.  I've spent twenty years researching counterfeit bills and have a couple pens at home.  Having an idea of what you're look at definitely mitigates the chances of being ripped off.  The thing I like is usually in person transactions lead into conversation about what else I have to sell and sometimes a bulk purchase.  That's how I ultimately sold my furniture set in Phoenix when I moved to Florida.  A family came over to buy the bed but offered me a bulk price in cash for everything else.

Scott5114

The vast majority of my sales are through https://www.denexa.com/, my business website, which runs the Wordpress/WooCommerce software stack.

I've sold a little bit through Amazon, but I withdrew from the Amazon Prime program after all of their fees made it so I had a net profit of 78¢ per unit. Actually, I have an overall net loss through Amazon Prime, since they ripped me off for over $100 worth of product by claiming they never got it (despite the fact that I have tracking info showing they did) and refusing to investigate further or even do anything more than send me form letters about it.

I also help Jake Bear run his work-in-progress Wordpress/WooCommerce site at https://signsbyjake.com, so I suppose that's a selling platform I use too.

Generally, I don't trust third-party merchant platforms since their fees are often so high they reduce my already-thin margins, and I don't like having to comply with their policies on how they think customer service should be done. For example, Amazon pressures sellers to quote the absolute bare minimum shipping time, because they believe this increases sales. I'd rather over-estimate shipping time to cover the worst-case scenario and have the buyer be pleasantly surprised when I can get it out faster. I'd rather lose a sale and have someone forget about me than make a sale, fail to meet expectations, and have that person never forget about how I wronged them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 29, 2022, 05:20:40 PMActually, I have an overall net loss through Amazon Prime, since they ripped me off for over $100 worth of product by claiming they never got it (despite the fact that I have tracking info showing they did) and refusing to investigate further or even do anything more than send me form letters about it
Hold on while I put on my surprised face.

formulanone

I've found that Goodwill, the nearest church, or my driveway curb are entirely future-proof platforms, painless, and without regrets.

the91fwy

i just sell stuff on the ebay.  it does the job well enough for the limited sales of random stuff that i do.  i sold a mini-fridge on offerup locally and it was a smooth enough process.  craigslist gets a bad rap but it's still a good source for gems sometimes.  i just bought a old clamshell ibook from a dude and i really didn't feel bad talking him down as much as i did because he arrived in a land rover.

~cat

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.