News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Guess That Bridge thread!

Started by MCRoads, July 20, 2020, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Curious what the hint meant. To me it called to mind the old He-Man cartoons from the 1980s.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

plain

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 13, 2021, 04:50:10 PM
Curious what the hint meant. To me it called to mind the old He-Man cartoons from the 1980s.

The bridge spans the Tennessee River, so I used "power" as a play on the Tennessee Valley Authority.
Newark born, Richmond bred

BridgesToIdealism

Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

Bruce

My first contribution to the thread, so I'll start with an easy one:

webny99

Quote from: Bruce on April 17, 2021, 03:10:12 AM
[img snipped]http://

Technically we are supposed to answer the previous one first, and then whoever gets that one right gets to post the next one to guess.

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on April 13, 2021, 06:04:29 PM

It's been a few days - any clues?

ozarkman417

*snipped*
I'm aware that the other one is technically the one in play, but my guess to this one is the I-5 bridge crossing the Columbia between Vancouver and Portland.

BridgesToIdealism

Hint for mine: It's located in my home state (not the state where I go to school, but my home state), and it's located in a town/city that, depending on how one interprets the county lines versus the town/city limits, could be considered to be straddling three counties. The city is also "Elizabeth".

Bruce

Whoops, I thought this wasn't a continuous game.

Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 17, 2021, 12:12:35 PM

*snipped*
I'm aware that the other one is technically the one in play, but my guess to this one is the I-5 bridge crossing the Columbia between Vancouver and Portland.

Nope, but you got one of the states.

MCRoads

Is it the Snohomish River Bridge?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on April 17, 2021, 11:57:23 AM
Technically we are supposed to answer the previous one first, and then whoever gets that one right gets to post the next one to guess.

Reminder:  The OP states that a given picture is in play for one week.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2021, 03:07:19 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 17, 2021, 11:57:23 AM

Reminder:  The OP states that a given picture is in play for one week.

It will be a week this evening. Surely we can get this one, it doesn't look that hard:

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on April 17, 2021, 08:40:43 PM
Hint for mine: It's located in my home state (not the state where I go to school, but my home state), and it's located in a town/city that, depending on how one interprets the county lines versus the town/city limits, could be considered to be straddling three counties. The city is also "Elizabeth".

MCRoads

It's the Queen City bridge in Manchester, NH. I wanted to see if anyone else would find it, but I guess no one did. It's very hard, because there is no good GSV of the substructure. I literally just followed the river from Salem into NH, until I found it.

Here is a much better picture from a pedestrian overpass nearby:

Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

more room plz

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on April 20, 2021, 09:13:11 AM
Surely we can get this one, it doesn't look that hard:

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on April 17, 2021, 08:40:43 PM

Quote from: MCRoads on April 20, 2021, 10:40:08 AM
It's the Queen City bridge in Manchester, NH. I wanted to see if anyone else would find it, but I guess no one did. It's very hard, because there is no good GSV of the substructure. I literally just followed the river from Salem into NH, until I found it.

Here is a much better picture from a pedestrian overpass nearby:

Dang, you're right! I was hoping to get it and then let you go next to get back on a single track, but I guess there's no ambiguity now!  :)

The clue about the three counties actually led me to Manchester, NH (knowing it was probably in MA or NH) but that wasn't one of the bridges I checked, and I'm not sure if I would have pegged it even if it was.

kphoger

It's the Queen City bridge in Manchester, NH. ... It's very hard, because there is no good GSV of the substructure.

This GSV looks pretty good to me.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MCRoads

Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2021, 11:41:08 AM
It's the Queen City bridge in Manchester, NH. ... It's very hard, because there is no good GSV of the substructure.

Yeah, I didn't find that. Guess you need to be in a super specific spot.

Anyway, onto the next bridge!

If you guys need a better picture, let me know. I wanted to use my own picture, but I can't find the power cord to my film scanner, so I had to take a picture with my phone, and adjust it on my computer. Oh well...  :bigass:

Anyway, here you go:
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

kphoger

Quote from: MCRoads on April 20, 2021, 11:55:19 AM
If you guys need a better picture, let me know. I wanted to use my own picture, but I can't find the power cord to my film scanner, so I had to take a picture with my phone, and adjust it on my computer. Oh well...

Frankly, I think the way it came out is perfect for this challenge.
Male pronouns, please.

MCRoads

Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2021, 12:12:34 PM
If you guys need a better picture, let me know. I wanted to use my own picture, but I can't find the power cord to my film scanner, so I had to take a picture with my phone, and adjust it on my computer. Oh well...

Frankly, I think the way it came out is perfect for this challenge.
Ha! Glad you think so! I just tried giving it to google to see what it did, and it gave me a suggested search of Bridge-Tunnel. It got the bridge part right at least!
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

BridgesToIdealism

The Queen City Bridge is correct, for mine.

To explain my hint a bit, the city limits versus the county lines in Manchester are disputed, depending on what source you use and who you talk to. However, some people consider Manchester to straddle portions of Hillsborough, Rockingham, and Merrimack counties. It's one of the only places that I know of where a single city rests in more than two counties.

Of course, Manchester is also known as The Queen City, hence the city being "Elizabeth".

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2021, 11:41:08 AM

Yeah, I didn't find that. Guess you need to be in a super specific spot.

Yes, very specific - precisely where the OP was when they took the photo, in fact!   :-P

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on April 20, 2021, 12:28:44 PM
Of course, Manchester is also known as The Queen City, hence the city being "Elizabeth".

Aha! That did throw me. I knew it wasn't actually Elizabeth, NJ or something, so I basically ignored that clue, but still ended up in Manchester because of the other part.

MCRoads

Since it's been about a day, I'll give you guys a hint: It's in KY. And if you have ever driven over a steel deck, you know why this bridge is unique to the area.
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

webny99

Quote from: MCRoads on April 21, 2021, 05:27:29 PM
Since it's been about a day, I'll give you guys a hint: It's in KY. And if you have ever driven over a steel deck, you know why this bridge is unique to the area.

I think it's the Singing Bridge (Bridge St.) over the Kentucky River in Frankfort? Appears to be closed currently.

MCRoads

Quote from: webny99 on April 21, 2021, 08:02:46 PM

Since it’s been about a day, I’ll give you guys a hint: It’s in KY. And if you have ever driven over a steel deck, you know why this bridge is unique to the area.

I think it's the Singing Bridge (Bridge St.) over the Kentucky River in Frankfort? Appears to be closed currently.

You got it! I think that that may be the most musical bridge I’ve been on. All the other steel deck bridges I’ve been on were on high-speed roadways, so instead of singing, the bridge just kind of farted, lol.
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

webny99

Quote from: MCRoads on April 22, 2021, 11:52:31 AM
Quote from: webny99 on April 21, 2021, 08:02:46 PM

You got it! I think that that may be the most musical bridge I've been on. All the other steel deck bridges I've been on were on high-speed roadways, so instead of singing, the bridge just kind of farted, lol.

Ha! OK, I'll be back with the next photo shortly.

(Also, I fixed your quote for you.)

webny99

Next up:

Here's a clue: In a land of many lakes, one of the great ones is visible from this bridge.
I'll accept either bridge in the photo as the correct answer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.