News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: geek11111 on March 15, 2024, 04:44:51 PM
Requirement to change password periodically.

I had a job that did this, but the system was poorly programmed and I could just reuse my existing password.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jeffandnicole

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 16, 2024, 08:09:49 PM

I had a job that did this, but the system was poorly programmed and I could just reuse my existing password.

For quite a while our passwords required 6 characters, with at least one being a number.  Except, they didn't require a letter.  So I just used numbers, such as 123456.

Scott5114

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 16, 2024, 08:54:31 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 16, 2024, 08:09:49 PM

For quite a while our passwords required 6 characters, with at least one being a number.  Except, they didn't require a letter.  So I just used numbers, such as 123456.

I had a system like that once and used the password 789632145.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ZLoth

Somebody, tell me.... what's wrong with this picture?

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

vdeane

Netflix decided to end support for my Smart TV.  This has happened with other streaming services, but normally there's advance notice, and then the app goes away.  Neither happened here.  No notice, and the app is still there and will load, it just won't let me play any content.  WTF Netflix?

Guess I'm now using my computer/HDMI connection to the TV for all streaming now (and not just everything except Netflix; Amazon Prime Video technically still works, but it's janky), but I would have appreciated if it happened the same way as other services.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: vdeane on March 22, 2024, 12:20:25 PM
Netflix decided to end support for my Smart TV.  This has happened with other streaming services, but normally there's advance notice, and then the app goes away.  Neither happened here.  No notice, and the app is still there and will load, it just won't let me play any content.  WTF Netflix?

Guess I'm now using my computer/HDMI connection to the TV for all streaming now (and not just everything except Netflix; Amazon Prime Video technically still works, but it's janky), but I would have appreciated if it happened the same way as other services.

I use my phone/chromecast for almost all streaming now. My TV seems to have a difficult time connecting to my WiFi and often buffers. My combo with my phone has no such issues.

ZLoth

Quote from: vdeane on March 22, 2024, 12:20:25 PMNetflix decided to end support for my Smart TV.  This has happened with other streaming services, but normally there's advance notice, and then the app goes away.  Neither happened here.  No notice, and the app is still there and will load, it just won't let me play any content.  WTF Netflix?

What is the make/model/age of your SmartTV? Usually, it's because the SmartTV Operating System is too old or the internal "computer" doesn't have the capability to support the functionality. That's part of the anonymous telemetry that is sent back to Netflix.

Fortunately, you can pick up a Amazon FireTV stick for less than $30 or a Roku strick for around $40.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kkt

Why do I suspect Smart TV makers of paying off Netflix to demand higher spec Smart TVs?

vdeane

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 22, 2024, 02:39:10 PM

I use my phone/chromecast for almost all streaming now. My TV seems to have a difficult time connecting to my WiFi and often buffers. My combo with my phone has no such issues.
Mine never liked wifi either; I've been using ethernet for the last decade.

Quote from: ZLoth on March 22, 2024, 03:34:17 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 22, 2024, 12:20:25 PMNetflix decided to end support for my Smart TV.  This has happened with other streaming services, but normally there's advance notice, and then the app goes away.  Neither happened here.  No notice, and the app is still there and will load, it just won't let me play any content.  WTF Netflix?

What is the make/model/age of your SmartTV? Usually, it's because the SmartTV Operating System is too old or the internal "computer" doesn't have the capability to support the functionality. That's part of the anonymous telemetry that is sent back to Netflix.

Fortunately, you can pick up a Amazon FireTV stick for less than $30 or a Roku strick for around $40.
It's a Samsung, not sure exact model; I bought it in 2013.

Planned obsolescence would be another thing that bothers me.  Streaming video is streaming video; it's not like it changes.  Doesn't help that I'm not used to it, since my desktop and laptop run Linux and therefore last however long the hardware does.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ZLoth

Quote from: vdeane on March 22, 2024, 09:57:10 PMStreaming video is streaming video; it's not like it changes.  Doesn't help that I'm not used to it, since my desktop and laptop run Linux and therefore last however long the hardware does.

Actually, yes, the underlying codec which compresses the streaming audio/video and decompresses it at the client end (television, computer, mobile device) does change over time. Sometimes, it's for better quality, usually, it's for lower bandwidth consumption with the trade-off being higher CPU consumption. While that SmartTV from 2013 has more computing power than the computer that was used to land on the moon or an Apple II computer, the computer from 2013 is still better than that computing power from that 2013 SmartTV.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: dlsterner on March 04, 2024, 05:05:00 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 04, 2024, 03:12:40 PMFast food restaurants wanting a name for your order. I don't think it improves quality of service from a customer perspective and it's one more question that cashiers have to ask you to repeat because they didn't hear it correctly.

Next time, just tell them your name is "Poiponen".
I always tell them (or type, if at a kiosk) "Bluebeard Guy". You can see in the kitchen when it pops up, everyone is looking around.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Scott5114

This default theme we're stuck with. I'm gonna have to do something about it...

Voyager

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2024, 06:09:58 PMThis default theme we're stuck with. I'm gonna have to do something about it...

I hope the shield read/unread icons at least make a return, I miss those!
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

kkt

Online videos that only have a "mute" or "blast my ears out" settings.  Yes, I can change the master setting for my headphone volume, that's why it's minor.  But I then have to readjust it for most everything else.

thenetwork

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2024, 06:09:58 PMThis default theme we're stuck with. I'm gonna have to do something about it...

It's like replacing a state-named interstate shield with a neutered shield... :bigass:

ZLoth

I'm extremely grateful that you have not modified the default theme with either construction zone orange or florescent yellow indicating it's temporary. Those tend to be two colors often in use in construction zones.

Or, did I just give someone a bad idea for next Monday...

SSOWorld

Quote from: thenetwork on March 28, 2024, 12:04:14 PM

It's like replacing a state-named interstate shield with a neutered shield... :bigass:
or with reflective plating.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Scott5114

Quote from: ZLoth on March 28, 2024, 12:42:03 PM

I'm extremely grateful that you have not modified the default theme with either construction zone orange or florescent yellow indicating it's temporary. Those tend to be two colors often in use in construction zones.

Or, did I just give someone a bad idea for next Monday...

Don't worry, my plans for next Monday are way stupider.

on_wisconsin

Kwik Trip discontinuing bagged orange juice and milk.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

SSOWorld

don't worry, for you won't be wasting it anymore.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Big John

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 29, 2024, 04:48:32 AMdon't worry, for you won't be wasting it anymore.
Not KT wasting most of it as it just doesn't sell before it spoils.

hotdogPi

Google Maps can't give "fastest without a vehicle" directions. It has a transit option and a walking option. However, today, the only way to get to my 7:34 AM commuter rail train if I'm leaving between 6:54 (where walking the entire way is possible) and 7:02 (when the bus leaves) is to take a bus partway then walk 15 minutes. Google Maps has no idea such a trip is possible.

Any app where swiping left has a "positive" action, notably Discord, where it replies to whatever you swiped on. Apple's notifications on the lock screen does it correctly (right for yes, left for no): swiping right (or tapping on the notification) opens it, while swiping left clears and ignores it; everyone else should follow.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Rothman

There are four quite fast and efficient elevators in my building and I work on the penultimate floor.

I routinely let people crowd onto an elevator and wait for the next one -- a literal matter of a couple of seconds -- to be the sole occupant.  My very own express.

But, inevitably, there are times when people insist on holding one of the cars for me and I'm close enough to where it makes it awkward to tell them that I'd just wait for the next one.  So, I get on and go through the delay of them getting off on a floor below mine -- a delay longer than if I'd just get the next available elevator.

Just go on ahead of me.  We all work here and know we have the best elevators in the country...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

The lack of CD players in automobiles these days. I miss listening to my favorite albums and songs as I drive.  True your phone can have the same but I prefer not having a phone hooked up to my radio and leave the phone aside for emergencies.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

People who use bathroom stalls in airports as their personal offices.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.