News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Hi viatologists...

Started by hbelkins, August 16, 2022, 12:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Also, does anyone still use MTR? I haven't viewed MTR in years.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Quote from: 1 on August 16, 2022, 12:20:07 PM
YouTube only checks that content matches something that already exists and that they had it first. You can typically appeal fair use, not that they always know what fair use is themselves.

There have been stories of people getting copyright strikes for things in the public domain (e.g. Beethoven), but those typically get reversed on appeal with greater success than fair use appeals.

Disney made a fourth-party copyright complaint against a video that showed Bert from 'Sesame Street', even though Disney has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Bert.

bandit957

Quote from: 1 on August 16, 2022, 05:38:30 PMCopyright isn't going to expire any time soon. If a particular law in 1976 hadn't been passed, it would last 28 years, and I believe the video is old enough that it would only be a few more years. However, due to that law, it's the life of the author plus 70 years, or possibly 95 years from creation (I can't quite tell which category it falls under).

I think that depends on whether the work was made by a person or a corporation. I think that for a person it's 70 years after the person's death. I think that for a corporation it's 95 years after the work was made. In other words, works by corporations may be protected longer, if a person dies less than 25 years after their work was made.

US 89

Wasn't there a video of his where he recorded a banana in his car instead of the road?

bandit957

Quote from: US 89 on August 18, 2022, 11:54:20 AM
Wasn't there a video of his where he recorded a banana in his car instead of the road?

I don't remember that. It turns out that I do have the US 31W video - and possibly others. I saved them because I was actually afraid they'd be taken down by people who didn't like him.

formulanone

Quote from: bandit957 on August 18, 2022, 11:52:11 AM
Quote from: 1 on August 16, 2022, 05:38:30 PMCopyright isn't going to expire any time soon. If a particular law in 1976 hadn't been passed, it would last 28 years, and I believe the video is old enough that it would only be a few more years. However, due to that law, it's the life of the author plus 70 years, or possibly 95 years from creation (I can't quite tell which category it falls under).

I think that depends on whether the work was made by a person or a corporation. I think that for a person it's 70 years after the person's death. I think that for a corporation it's 95 years after the work was made. In other words, works by corporations may be protected longer, if a person dies less than 25 years after their work was made.

I think it's 70 years after the death of an author, and 95-120 years for corporate authorship. But that's for the US. Or someone just uses "sweat of the brow" to recreate something substantially similar, and it's all good. Weird.

Live a long life after creating something, get a longer copyright. If you die at the age of 20? ...tough luck, kid. And why not an even 100 years?

I think copyrights are too long; maybe 25-30 years is enough, but that's just my opinion.

vdeane

^ That's about how long they were when the country was founded.  Then Disney went on a mission to make sure Micky Mouse would never become public domain...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

Quote from: vdeane on August 18, 2022, 12:44:49 PM
^ That's about how long they were when the country was founded.  Then Disney went on a mission to make sure Micky Mouse would never become public domain...

I mean, it will technically go into public domain in 1928 + 120 = 2048, if I'm not mistaken. New laws before that?

But they redraw the little critter every few years, so I'd imagine that makes it a derivative work, since it carries the same name.

1995hoo

Mickey Mouse is trademarked. The various movies and such featuring him are subject to copyright.

As the law currently stands, Song of the South will enter the public domain in the USA in 2041. It already has in Japan, which is one reason it's possible to get a copy of it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: US 89 on August 18, 2022, 11:54:20 AM

Yep. I think that's my favorite Calbog video. Especially since he posted it to MTR with all of the pomp and circumstance of his regular videos, calling it a "view of a potassium-rich snack" or some such.

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 18, 2022, 01:37:12 PM

Mickey Mouse is trademarked. The various movies and such featuring him are subject to copyright.

Right, but what Valerie is referring to is how every time Mickey Mouse is about to fall into the public domain, like clockwork, legislation to lengthen copyright terms mysteriously appears in Congress...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mrsman

Here's a really interesting application of copyright expiration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie_the_Pooh:_Blood_and_Honey

Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey is an upcoming independent slasher film directed and written by Rhys Frake-Waterfield. The film serves as a horror retelling of A. A. Milne's 1926 book Winnie-the-Pooh, and follows the anthropomorphic characters Winnie-the-Pooh and Piglet as they become bloodthirsty murderers when Christopher Robin abandons them for college. Development for the film began when the original book became a public domain work in the United States in January 2022, resulting in The Walt Disney Company no longer holding exclusive film rights to the characters first depicted in the book.

Upon its announcement, the film was met with mixed reactions and drew widespread attention due to its concept involving a character that had garnered a reputation for being a "beloved childhood icon". The film is produced by Jagged Edge Productions and distributed by ITN Studios.

The characters' rights had been owned by The Walt Disney Company since 1966 and, while Disney retains exclusive rights to the depictions of these characters from their 1977 film "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh," as well as later characters such as Tigger, Winnie-the-Pooh went into public domain in January 2022. After the copyright lapsed, Rhys Frake-Waterfield began production on Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey the same year, with the film marking his directorial debut....While the drawings from the 1926 book went into the public domain along with its text, Frake-Waterfield had to avoid any elements that were unique to Disney's depictions of the character....In order to avoid copyright issues, Frake-Waterfield was careful to avoid Pooh's red shirt, and any other elements from Disney's depictions that could pose a copyright issue.

Road Hog

"Viatology" is a bastard word with Latin and Greek etymology: "via" meaning road in Latin, and "-logy" in Greek meaning the science of.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 16, 2022, 07:32:47 PM
Now, what probably would be kosher is if we got one of the members of the community with actual musical talent to do a cover of it. :-D

No promises, but...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on August 23, 2022, 09:30:04 PM
Now, what probably would be kosher is if we got one of the members of the community with actual musical talent to do a cover of it. :-D

No promises, but...

In addition to the Death Metal cover of Little Green Shrub I requested above I would like a Michael Jackson style remix as well.  Rock With You comes to mind as the smooth mellow style I would like to hear Little Green Shrub worked into. 

TheHighwayMan3561

No promises, but...

Welcome back.  :nod:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

No promises, but...

You were the person I was thinking of when I wrote that. :D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.