News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

How much has your metro area grown?

Started by CapeCodder, February 11, 2023, 11:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

The Baltimore metro area grew just under five percent from 2010 to 2020, then in 2021 it was estimated to have decreased by .022 percent. As mentioned for St. Louis, the population of Baltimore itself has been decreasing, while the suburbs have grown. Queen Anne's County, which is on the opposite side of the Chesapeake Bay, was the fastest-growing county in the area between 2010 and 2020.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

golden eagle

Quote from: Road Hog on February 16, 2023, 11:27:10 PM
The DFW metro seems to be adding about 100,000 people a year. That would come out to a million every census. If there's a nationwide recession, the growth might actually increase because Texas has been recession-resistant since getting off the oil tit in the 1990s.

The 2021 population estimates show DFW gained over 122,000 people over its 2020 population. Houston gained nearly 85,000. Chicagoland lost over 100,000. I highly doubt Chicagoland will lose over 100,000 each year. In fact, I believe many larger metros that lost population in the estimates will regain their footing as the fallout from COVID continues to wane. However, it's possible that population losses could continue once rural broadband Internet becomes more widespread, especially for people who work from home and don't find it necessary to live in or near bigger cities in order to work.

hotdogPi

Any 2021 estimates are going to undo the corrections from the 2019 estimate to the 2020 actual census, as for some reason the post-2020 estimates aren't taking into account the mistakes that the pre-2020 estimates made.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Road Hog

I have numbers, but I can share my personally witnessed example of how much growth is happening in DFW.

My hometown high school was just Class 2A as recently as 2005 but will likely be 5A in the 2024 realignment or the following one in 2026, then be bumped to 6A after that. Prosper spent six years as a 5A before going to be 6A. This will be faster.

jgb191

During my lifetime:

Corpus Christi area has grown from 339K to 527K
Laredo area has grown from 99K to 268K
McAllen area has grown from 312K to almost a million.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

tchafe1978

My "Metro" area has really grown over the past 30 years. Not really a metro area at all, but a small town. The population was 823 in 1990, 871 in 2000, 986 in 2010, and now the sign at the village limits says 989. I was really hoping we'd hit the big time at the 2020 census and crack 1,000. But hey, at leastm we're growing, however little, which can't be said about many small rural towns.

But add in the surrounding township, which had a populatin of 767 in the 2010 census, which I suppose you could consider to the be "suburbs", we do indeed crack 1,000 as a metro.

texaskdog

Austin, fast growing city in America!

ZLoth

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

bing101

Quote from: texaskdog on February 26, 2023, 10:41:55 PM
Austin, fast growing city in America!

Also Austin has a running stereotype that former San Francisco and San Jose  residents are moving there.

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/23130/san-francisco/population  Current estimated growth rate for San Francisco is at .30%.

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/23131/san-jose/population current estimated  growth rate is at .66 % for San Jose.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-readies-unveil-tesla-170100264.html

Some of the stereotypes of Ex Californians moving to Austin is tied to Elon Musk.

skluth

I haven't lived here long enough to see much growth though the speed at which development happens in the Coachella Valley rivals what I remember anywhere when I was a kid. What I find really amazing is how much my original hometown of Green Bay has grown. Yes, it's still a small market for a football team. But the city was about 70K when it annexed Preble in the 1960s. It's now 107K and I don't think it's annexed any other townships. Even more impressive is the metro area which has gone from just over 200K in 1970 (when I started HS) to over 320K today. The Appleton-Oshkosh metro has grown even more substantially. Both metros may technically be Rust Belt, but their economies have continued to grow as much as many Sun Belt communities.

Big John

^^ The paper industry is more recession proof, but shortages with covid.

MikieTimT

NWA

Since 1993 when I moved up here to attend and finish an engineering degree at the U of A, it has more than doubled in population.  Only 8 MSAs over 500K population growing faster to this day.

kkt

Quote from: bing101 on February 28, 2023, 09:46:25 AM
Some of the stereotypes of Ex Californians moving to Austin is tied to Elon Musk.

Although I see our boy Elon is moving Tesla's engineering headquarters BACK to Silicon Valley.  No, really, I couldn't make this up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/musk-moves-tesla-headquarters-back-to-california-after-stint-in-texas/ar-AA17OA1e?ocid=UP97DHP&li=BBnb7Kz

Urban Prairie Schooner

Austin's growth astonishes me. The modest skyline of 1990 has been transformed into something akin to Miami.

Would you believe that Austin and Baton Rouge were about the same size in 1950?

Travis County 1950 (2020) population: 160,980 (1,290,188)
East Baton Rouge Parish 1950 (2020) population: 158,236 (456,781)

This is the biggest indictment of Louisiana's third world leadership imaginable.

texaskdog

I live near Austin.  It has doubled in size since I moved here in 2006.  now I live 18 miles south in Kyle but same MSA

texaskdog

Quote from: kkt on February 28, 2023, 10:45:32 PM

Although I see our boy Elon is moving Tesla's engineering headquarters BACK to Silicon Valley.  No, really, I couldn't make this up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/musk-moves-tesla-headquarters-back-to-california-after-stint-in-texas/ar-AA17OA1e?ocid=UP97DHP&li=BBnb7Kz

They just built an enormous building here.  It will be full.

Rothman

Quote from: texaskdog on March 11, 2023, 11:51:33 AM
Quote from: kkt on February 28, 2023, 10:45:32 PM

They just built an enormous building here.  It will be full.
Who says it will be full?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

Boston Metro Area population:

1973: 3,214,000
2023: 4,344,000

Source: Macrotrends.com

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on March 11, 2023, 12:42:45 PM
Who says it will be full?

Elon owns it, so it will be full of something. :D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LilianaUwU

Québec City's metro area has grown to a million people in the last year or so, but reports made it seem as though Québec City itself had a million people, which is simply not true.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

ZLoth

When I look at the population of the Austin, Tx area, it has grown from a tiny city of 344,000 in 1977 to 1,031,000 in 2003 to 2,053,000 in 2020 to 2,215,000 in 2023. That's more than the entire state of New Mexico, The NIMBYs and urbanists need to grow up, bite the bullet, and put more support behind the highway expansion projects to keep traffic moving.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

jgb191

In 1960, Austin's city limit population was 88% of that of its own metro area.  Six decades later, its suburban landscape has grown tremendously to where Austin now anchors only 43% of its metro area, which has been the case of most of the Texas metro areas.  San Antonio now takes up about 55% of its currents metro area, while in 1960 it took up 85% of its metro.

I say most and not all MSAs in Texas.  Laredo is one of the few glaring exceptions where it city limits actually went up in percentage:  in 1960, the city limits took up 89 percent of Webb County, while in 2020, that percentage has climbed to almost 98 percent.  It is virtually devoid of suburban landscape.  There is an abrupt cut-off when you exit the city limits....the nearest town of any size is more than 40 miles away in any direction.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Road Hog

In 30 years or maybe less, Austin and San Antonio will be one ginormous counurbation with San Marcos as the focal point.

Brandon

Quote from: golden eagle on February 21, 2023, 11:40:06 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on February 16, 2023, 11:27:10 PM
The DFW metro seems to be adding about 100,000 people a year. That would come out to a million every census. If there's a nationwide recession, the growth might actually increase because Texas has been recession-resistant since getting off the oil tit in the 1990s.

The 2021 population estimates show DFW gained over 122,000 people over its 2020 population. Houston gained nearly 85,000. Chicagoland lost over 100,000. I highly doubt Chicagoland will lose over 100,000 each year. In fact, I believe many larger metros that lost population in the estimates will regain their footing as the fallout from COVID continues to wane. However, it's possible that population losses could continue once rural broadband Internet becomes more widespread, especially for people who work from home and don't find it necessary to live in or near bigger cities in order to work.

Wanna bet?  Most areas in Chicagoland have been losing population recently.  The only growth areas are Will, Kendall, Kane, and Grundy (yes, Grundy) Counties.  Cook has been hardest hit, and Chicago seems to love shooting itself in the foot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.