News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Words that should rhyme but do not

Started by kurumi, March 22, 2023, 08:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

We all know about bough, cough, dough, tough, and through.

But there are other pairs that rhyme on paper but not when pronounced:

patio / ratio
Roger / Kroger
Sean / Bean
rugged / shrugged
ratchet / yacht
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

dlsterner

Quote from: 1 on March 22, 2023, 08:17:38 PM
snow plow

Interesting feature of this is that the "w" in "snow" is part of the "ow" diphthong and is sometimes considered a vowel because of this, where the "w" in "plow" is simply a consonant.

I always used the phrase "power mower" as an example.

Big John

formulanone

Quote from: kurumi on March 22, 2023, 08:17:13 PM

I think "ough" cannot be trusted with its multiple pronunciation offenses, and should be oughsted from the English language.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: formulanone on March 22, 2023, 09:09:29 PM
Quote from: kurumi on March 22, 2023, 08:17:13 PM

I think "ough" cannot be trusted with its multiple pronunciation offenses, and should be oughsted from the English language.

Oughch, you hurt its feelings.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jlam

Omen/women

Adobe/probe

Move/love

Blood/brood

These are just a few that I thought of off the top of my head

golden eagle

7/8

Bone / done / gone
Couch / touch
Daughter / laughter
Bother / brother

One that doesn't apply to everyone:
Spider / rider (I use "canadian raising" on the "i" in spider even though it's before a voiced consonant).

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: dlsterner on March 22, 2023, 08:24:52 PM
snow plow

Interesting feature of this is that the "w" in "snow" is part of the "ow" diphthong and is sometimes considered a vowel because of this, where the "w" in "plow" is simply a consonant.

The "ow" of plow is a diphthong in that it starts with the "ah" sound and ends with the "ooh" sound. It's not a diaeresis, where two distinct vowels sounds occur in succession, since they blend into one another.

If you're going for the idea of two letters making one sound, the word for that is digraph. Now, diphthongs are often digraphs, but not always, for example with "I."

Also, sake and sake.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

SSOWorld

Regina and Fun - at least Deadpool got it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kphoger

snow plow

I don't follow.  How does that make the W in the word PLOW a consonant?

The words "power" and "devour" rhyme.
POWER = /ˈpaʊ.ɚ/
DEVOUR = /dɪˈvaʊ.ɚ/

The words "mower" and "churchgoer" rhyme.
MOWER = /ˈmoʊ.ɚ/
CHURCHGOER = /ˈtʃɝːtʃˌɡoʊ.ɚ/
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

WillWeaverRVA

This thread reminds me of a tweet I saw where the poster thought about pronouncing "particles" as if it were a Greek name.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 23, 2023, 02:41:48 PM

snow plow

I don't follow.  How does that make the W in the word PLOW a consonant?

The words "power" and "devour" rhyme.
POWER = /ˈpaʊ.ɚ/
DEVOUR = /dɪˈvaʊ.ɚ/

The words "mower" and "churchgoer" rhyme.
MOWER = /ˈmoʊ.ɚ/
CHURCHGOER = /ˈtʃɝːtʃˌɡoʊ.ɚ/

I was thinking the same thing. 'w', as the last letter in the word, is never really a consonant in English. It really only functions as a consonant at the beginning of a word or after another consonant, i.e. something like 'bellwether".

pianocello

Laughter / Slaughter. Thanks to The Dark Knight for bringing that one to my attention.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 7/8 on March 22, 2023, 10:53:05 PM
Spider / rider (I use "canadian raising" on the "i" in spider even though it's before a voiced consonant).

What about writer and rider?
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

7/8

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 23, 2023, 11:03:23 PM

For me, writer and rider don't rhyme since the first has canadian raising and the latter doesn't. But writer and spider do rhyme.

Also, for some reason I use canadian raising in houses and spouses even though the first "s" is pronounced like a "z" (a voiced consonant). I guess that's because the singular of those two words has an "s" sound and therefore the singular words use canadian raising. It leads to an interesting case of the "ow" sound in houses and lousy being different for me.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 7/8 on March 23, 2023, 11:22:46 PM
It leads to an interesting case of the "ow" sound in houses and lousy being different for me.

They're the same to me, but rider and spider are different.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 23, 2023, 11:03:23 PM

For me, writer and rider don't rhyme since the first has canadian raising and the latter doesn't. But writer and spider do rhyme.

Also, for some reason I use canadian raising in houses and spouses even though the first "s" is pronounced like a "z" (a voiced consonant). I guess that's because the singular of those two words has an "s" sound and therefore the singular words use canadian raising. It leads to an interesting case of the "ow" sound in houses and lousy being different for me.

Interesting. I seem to do the raising with "eye" sounds but not "ow" sounds.

kphoger

Spider / rider

writer and rider

This thread is the first time in my life I've ever heard that those words don't rhyme for some people.  Learn something new every day.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kurumi

Quote from: kphoger on March 24, 2023, 11:48:01 AM
Spider / rider

writer and rider

This thread is the first time in my life I've ever heard that those words don't rhyme for some people.  Learn something new every day.

The /i/ sounds a bit different for me, in a way I haven't noticed before. A little longer and diphthong-y in "rider" compared to "spider" or "writer". Here's what wiktionary thinks:

(General American) enPR: spīʹdər, IPA(key): /ˈspaɪ̯dɚ/
(New England, Inland Northern American, Canada) enPR: spīʹdər, IPA(key): [ˈspʌɪ̯ɾə(ɹ)]

(General American) enPR: rī'dər, IPA(key): /ˈɹaɪ.dəɹ/, [ˈɹ̠aɪɾɚ]
(Canada, Inland Northern American) enPR: rī'dər, IPA(key): /ˈɹaɪ.dəɹ/, [ˈɹ̠รคɪɾɚ]

(General American) IPA(key): /ˈɹaɪ.təɹ/, [ˈɹ̠ăɪɾɚ]
(Canada, Inland Northern American) IPA(key): /ˈɹaɪ.təɹ/, [ˈɹ̠ʌɪɾɚ]
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.