News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NYC restaurants impose 90-minute time limits on diners: ‘Out of control’

Started by ZLoth, April 09, 2023, 10:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: jgb191 on April 11, 2023, 12:56:07 AM
Good thing I normally take-out and eat in the comforts of my own home.

Quote from: ZLoth on April 09, 2023, 01:45:03 PM
Can someone please tell me the attraction of living in "The Big Apple"?

I can't think of anything attractive about living there full-time residence, but I'm sure it's nice city to visit (in the summer time of course).  New York certainly gets extremely cold outside their short summer window.

Spring or fall.  Too hot and humid in the summer.

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 12, 2023, 12:56:39 AM
Quote from: kalvado on April 11, 2023, 10:32:57 AM
It can be a stressor, and it's possible to avoid by going to places in less demand where scheduling is more relaxed, or going at less common hours. Manhattan may be a bad place to take your sweet time...

Right, that's what I'm saying. They're welcome to have this rule as much as they want, but I'm not going to go there at all if they do.
Neither do I, honestly speaking. But those places still have enough demand without us.
Somewhat reminds me of Walmart discussions - everyone say "I am not going there at all!" - but once you're in the store, it looks like entire city is shopping there...

JayhawkCO

As a lot of you all know, I was a restaurant general manager for a long time. There were times when we'd be running long on reservations. Going over 5-10 minutes isn't the end of the world, but anything more substantial than that, I needed to take intervention. There were times where I needed one specific table to open up to alleviate all of my problems. When that happened, if it was a table that was finished with their meal and just visiting, I'd apologize, explain the situation, and offer to buy them a round of drinks if I could move them to another location. This never failed and got me out of a lot of jams, but it's not as easy as some are suggesting where you just ask people to leave because you need the table. I had to a) have another place to move them to and b) cost the company a little bit of cash by comping the drinks.

kalvado

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 12, 2023, 09:13:01 AM
As a lot of you all know, I was a restaurant general manager for a long time. There were times when we'd be running long on reservations. Going over 5-10 minutes isn't the end of the world, but anything more substantial than that, I needed to take intervention. There were times where I needed one specific table to open up to alleviate all of my problems. When that happened, if it was a table that was finished with their meal and just visiting, I'd apologize, explain the situation, and offer to buy them a round of drinks if I could move them to another location. This never failed and got me out of a lot of jams, but it's not as easy as some are suggesting where you just ask people to leave because you need the table. I had to a) have another place to move them to and b) cost the company a little bit of cash by comping the drinks.
How long were your reservation allocations, and what was the %% of reservations relative to overall capacity? Those are the factors which affect a lot
Sounds like those NYC places run close to 100% reserved...

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kalvado on April 12, 2023, 09:31:55 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 12, 2023, 09:13:01 AM
How long were your reservation allocations, and what was the %% of reservations relative to overall capacity? Those are the factors which affect a lot
Sounds like those NYC places run close to 100% reserved...

I was basically 95% reservations. For obvious reasons, no reservations for the bar or patio (except during peak Covid reopening). We had two other tables in the main dining room that were walk-in only. We "allotted" 1h45m minutes for a 2-top (party of two), 2h for a 3 or 4-top, 2h30m for 5-6 top, 2h45m for 7+.

JREwing78

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.