News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How much are you willing to pay for a watch?

Started by roadman65, May 07, 2023, 10:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://torgoen.com/products/t18-black-ionic-yellow-carbon-fiber-45mm-stainless-steel-bracelet
To me this is excessive. Though nice watch, still half a grand is way too much.

To me I will stick to watches below $50.

Will anyone here be willing to invest hundreds in a regular watch?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JayhawkCO

I have an altimeter watch I use for climbing mountains and backpacking and such. It's not cheap.

sprjus4

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Nothing, unless you broadly count fitness watches.  If so, maybe $100-$150 to get something acceptably decent.

jakeroot

I will concede that smart-watches are not "necessary" in the same way that smartphones are to most of us, but I use a lot of what they offer, so I will spend several hundred on them. I have an Apple Watch Series 7 right now which was $399.

Rothman

Quote from: jakeroot on May 08, 2023, 12:10:09 AM
I will concede that smart-watches are not "necessary" in the same way that smartphones are to most of us, but I use a lot of what they offer, so I will spend several hundred on them. I have an Apple Watch Series 7 right now which was $399.
What do you use?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

My current one has a base price of $94, but I got it for half off. I bought my first one at a craft fair for $5, but it turned my arm green from the steel corroding, so after about two years, I switched.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

NWI_Irish96

Since I haven't worn a watch since I first owned a cell phone, $0.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

wanderer2575

Necessity really isn't the issue; it's whether the use you get from the thing is worth its price.  The Apple watch isn't a life necessity, but if you use what it offers and you can't get that functionality from another product, you may deem it worth its cost.  On the other hand, I use a watch only to see the current time, so I would get no more use from a $400 Apple watch than from a $20 plain one.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 08, 2023, 09:01:12 AM

Necessity really isn't the issue; it's whether the use you get from the thing is worth its price.  The Apple watch isn't a life necessity, but if you use what it offers and you can't get that functionality from another product, you may deem it worth its cost.  On the other hand, I use a watch only to see the current time, so I would get no more use from a $400 Apple watch than from a $20 plain one.

And I understand it's probably not what everyone else in the forum is going for, but the "fashion" price is relevant, too. It doesn't only have to be about the utility.

formulanone

Quote from: roadman65 on May 07, 2023, 10:55:44 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 07, 2023, 10:47:46 PM
https://teddybaldassarre.com/blogs/watches/expensive-watches (!!!)

Have to be Bill Gates or a typical American Politician to afford these.😁

When I see that there's $100k watches (and higher) out there, I'm just a little stunned...but then I remember they sponsor tons of auto racing or yachting, so that financial stream has to go back into something equally extravagant. From a mechanical standpoint, it's fascinating how it all ticks, and it's amazing that all those delicate parts work in synchronicity, but I just don't need more than a $50 watch to remind me what time it is and last for 4-5 years. I don't feel the need to show off, impress, or look like a mark.

I received an Apple Watch last year as a gift from my wife, since it's much easier for me to see/feel notifications in noisy and hectic conditions; the basic 3rd gen for about $100-150 is enough. I'm sure the battery life is good for no more than three years and then I'll need another. So roughly $50/year for the additional "notification power" and a few more updates (flights, calendar reminders, email, texts) is worth it to me. A cellphone can do all of those things already, and if you don't need the extra nudges, that's understandable too. I went without a watch for a few years and barely missed it.

wanderer2575

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 08, 2023, 09:59:47 AM

And I understand it's probably not what everyone else in the forum is going for, but the "fashion" price is relevant, too. It doesn't only have to be about the utility.

Fashion is one element of the use you can get from the thing.  You're right that it's not just about utility.

Takumi

Not as much as this guy. (This was a real ad.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kalvado

If that is of any relevance, I don't wear watch for past 20 years - but I got a cuckoo clock on garage sale for$20 and spent another $30 to make it work. It also has little utility beyond being a cool background feature in WebEx -zoom calls.

abefroman329

For a smartwatch - maybe $200 at most.  That should get you an Apple Watch that's one or two models old.

For a dumbwatch - $20 at most.

Bruce

I miss my Pebble smartwatch, which I got for $100 (on clearance). Multi-day battery, simple apps, and able to display notifications. I don't think I'd invest more than that in a smartwatch for normal use.

oscar

I have a cheapo Timex, which needs a new battery (at least), for places with poor cellphone reception or are otherwise smartphone-unfriendly.

I got an older Apple Watch a few Christmases ago. But it has to be constantly recharged, and is too complicated for me (though I'll occasionally use it to check my heart rate). All I want is something to tell me the time, with a quick glance. Anything more, my smartphone can usually handle.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

I, too, have inexpensive watches. i'm currently wearing an Armitron that probably cost no more than $20.

I feel naked without a watch. The only time I don't wear one is when I'm showering. I've worn one since my grade school years and can't get used to not wearing one.

I have no need for a smart watch. What's next -- Apple Eyeglasses?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on May 08, 2023, 09:35:50 PM
I, too, have inexpensive watches. i'm currently wearing an Armitron that probably cost no more than $20.

I feel naked without a watch. The only time I don't wear one is when I'm showering. I've worn one since my grade school years and can't get used to not wearing one.

I have no need for a smart watch. What's next -- Apple Eyeglasses?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Glass

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on May 08, 2023, 06:52:59 AM
What do you use?

The features I rely on most are the sleep tracking (much more accurate than anything on my iPhone), fitness tracking (again, far more accurate than my phone), using it to find my phone (can't use my phone for that, duh), paying for things without getting my phone out (Apple Pay), riding transit (not really supported in the US but normal in Japan via Suica), managing my reminders (bit faster than pulling my phone out, especially grocery lists), and song-tagging (much faster than whipping out my phone).

None of these features are strictly necessary for day to day life, but they make my life easier. The watch just...works. No bullshit, great battery, and very good compatibility with all my other Apple shit.

I was a G-Shock guy for many years! Loved the simplicity of an indestructible watch that just did a few basic things. I just learned to appreciate many of the smart-watch features as I got older. I originally got into them with the Samsung Gear S3 that came free with a phone at T-Mobile back in the day. Been hooked ever since.

I do also come from a 'tech-forward' family. My 83-year old grandfather has as much Apple stuff as I do (watch included); it's in my blood to embrace technology, you could say.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JayhawkCO

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 09, 2023, 10:34:55 AM
I don't wear jewelry.

I wouldn't define a watch, personally, as jewelry. Jewelry has no function other than fashion. A watch, even the most basic ones, at least does a job.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 07, 2023, 10:47:17 PM
I have an altimeter watch I use for climbing mountains and backpacking and such. It's not cheap.

Just out of idle curiosity, what watch do you have?

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.