News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Toyota Camry

Started by tolbs17, August 24, 2019, 12:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

2018-2020 screen

2021 screen

I guess the new design shares the newer toyota models such as the RAV4, and Corolla.

What might bother me in the 2021 design is where the air vents used to be. That might look kinda odd.

Takumi

I'm kind of impressed that a thread about the Toyota Camry has made it to 8 pages.

Regarding SUVs supplanting sedans, after a couple weeks working in an auto shop I've seen more Highlanders and RAV4s (four today alone!) than I have Camrys and Corollas. I've also seen how badly the average American neglects taking care of their car...
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Still looking at cars?...it's time to pick something by now.

Quote from: tolbs17 on September 16, 2020, 08:24:46 PM
What might bother me in the 2021 design is where the air vents used to be. That might look kinda odd.

After a week with a different car, you get used to things seemingly out-of-place compared to before. You'd be surprised how quickly one gets comfortable to changes out of necessity after a short while, except for rare cases of actual physical discomfort.

tolbs17

Quote from: formulanone on September 17, 2020, 09:50:46 AM
Still looking at cars?...it's time to pick something by now.

After a week with a different car, you get used to things seemingly out-of-place compared to before. You'd be surprised how quickly one gets comfortable to changes out of necessity after a short while, except for rare cases of actual physical discomfort.
I took a break now I'm back to looking since I'm about to go to college and I'm prolly gonna get one in the next 3-9 months.

Also, COVID-19 pushed everything back

J N Winkler

Quote from: Takumi on September 16, 2020, 11:07:38 PMRegarding SUVs supplanting sedans, after a couple weeks working in an auto shop I've seen more Highlanders and RAV4s (four today alone!) than I have Camrys and Corollas. I've also seen how badly the average American neglects taking care of their car...

Have you been able to get a sense of how common it is for the oil to be changed promptly?  This is something I have always wondered about for the vehicle fleet at large.  I don't pretend I've changed the oil bang on time every time, but at least when I run long, it's synthetic oil in the crankcase and it never goes darker than mahogany by the time I drain it out.  But when I walk in a parking lot, the oil spots are mostly black or very dark brown.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Takumi

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 17, 2020, 12:08:41 PM
Quote from: Takumi on September 16, 2020, 11:07:38 PMRegarding SUVs supplanting sedans, after a couple weeks working in an auto shop I've seen more Highlanders and RAV4s (four today alone!) than I have Camrys and Corollas. I've also seen how badly the average American neglects taking care of their car...

Have you been able to get a sense of how common it is for the oil to be changed promptly?  This is something I have always wondered about for the vehicle fleet at large.  I don't pretend I've changed the oil bang on time every time, but at least when I run long, it's synthetic oil in the crankcase and it never goes darker than mahogany by the time I drain it out.  But when I walk in a parking lot, the oil spots are mostly black or very dark brown.
Not yet, as I'm mainly front end of the shop, but I've noticed that many newer cars, including the two late-00s-designed Acuras I've owned, have service notices built into the computer that tell the driver when it's getting close to needing an oil change or other such maintenance. The two Acuras, and I assume this has since spread to Hondas in recent years, have had an oil life percentage message viewable after pushing the trip/odometer button three times. Rather, what I've seen has been more in the line of balding tires and worn brake pads, which are both more expensive to replace than an oil change and arguably just as catastrophic, if not worse, to the car and driver if they fail completely.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Takumi on September 17, 2020, 12:29:34 PM

Not yet, as I'm mainly front end of the shop, but I've noticed that many newer cars, including the two late-00s-designed Acuras I've owned, have service notices built into the computer that tell the driver when it's getting close to needing an oil change or other such maintenance. The two Acuras, and I assume this has since spread to Hondas in recent years, have had an oil life percentage message viewable after pushing the trip/odometer button three times. Rather, what I've seen has been more in the line of balding tires and worn brake pads, which are both more expensive to replace than an oil change and arguably just as catastrophic, if not worse, to the car and driver if they fail completely.

Which is why these aren't done. 

Takumi

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 17, 2020, 12:31:41 PM

Which is why these aren't done. 
I'm aware.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jeffandnicole

I've owned/leased Hondas exclusively since about 2004.  My 2007 Honda Ridgeline, and every vehicle since then, has had the Maintenance Minder for oil changes and other maintenance work.

RobbieL2415

2018-2020 screen

2021 screen

I guess the new design shares the newer toyota models such as the RAV4, and Corolla.

How about no screens?
Its a car, not a living room.

formulanone

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 17, 2020, 01:22:11 PM
How about no screens?

This has been happening for 5-10 years now, depending on the make and model (even longer on some premium vehicles)...it's not going reverse course anytime soon.

If you're looking at new cars, you'll have to go very spartan to find vehicles without a multi-function screen on a dashboard.

My current car doesn't have a touch screen, so admittedly I like the feel of manual controls with some tactile feedback and specific noise. Though the little multifunction radio dial is a headache for navigating hundreds of albums and artists, it's mid-2000s tech that probably wasn't thinking about large collections.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 17, 2020, 01:07:00 PM
I've owned/leased Hondas exclusively since about 2004.  My 2007 Honda Ridgeline, and every vehicle since then, has had the Maintenance Minder for oil changes and other maintenance work.

The Maintenance Minder just might be my favorite feature in my '18 Civic, quite honestly.

(Also partial to Hondas - I learned to drive stick in my dad's '99 Accord and then I was lucky enough to find a manual on the lot when I got the aforementioned Civic)

How about no screens?

I have to agree...my girlfriend always rags on me for how my car has a smallish screen with buttons on either side compared to a large touchscreen in her car, but I really don't feel the need for a massive screen when I'm driving (or riding shotgun, for that matter).

The '18 Civic EX-T had a decent-sized touchscreen back when I was in the market, but I found myself preferring the more basic setup in the LX (as described above).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

tolbs17

2018-2020 screen

2021 screen

How about no screens?
I get it, but it shows where the air vents used to be.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: formulanone on September 17, 2020, 01:31:59 PM
How about no screens?

This has been happening for 5-10 years now, depending on the make and model (even longer on some premium vehicles)...it's not going reverse course anytime soon.

If you're looking at new cars, you'll have to go very spartan to find vehicles without a multi-function screen on a dashboard.

Which makes sense since any decent car has a back up camera. 

Complaining about screens in new cars these days is like complaining about keys back in the day.  "People should just crank the engine to start it."

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 17, 2020, 01:07:00 PM

My 2004 TL and my wife's 2015 TLX have that feature. My wife's 2003 RSX Type-S does not. I don't know whether pre-2004 TLs (technically "3.2TLs," as 2004 was the first year of the third-generation TL where they dropped the numbers) had that feature, but I suspect they did not because the 3G represented a pretty significant redesign in almost all ways.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tolbs17

2021 Nice car but clumsy design when they redid the screen.

tolbs17

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 17, 2020, 01:44:24 PM
How about no screens?

Complaining about screens in new cars these days is like complaining about keys back in the day.  "People should just crank the engine to start it."
I assume there will be a complete redesign for the 2023 model and hopefully they can fix all of that. This is just a mid-cycle refresh.

oscar

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 17, 2020, 01:44:24 PM
How about no screens?

When I bought a new pickup truck in 2006, I went to some trouble to find one without a nav system so I could do without the screen. The truck didn't have a backup camera, even as an option. By the time I bought my Prius new in 2008, the backup camera was a required feature, as was the multi-function screen.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jakeroot

Quote from: tolbs17 on September 17, 2020, 01:46:15 PM

Ehh, the screen was pretty low before. Now it's closer to the dashboard and better in line with your vision of the road. Nevermind that insane level of glossy black on the old design. Before I retired from valet, I drove a few 2018 Camry rentals, and the area around the buttons that surrounded the screen was smudge-central. Mostly as a result of people trying to click one button but missing, or hitting one but having it not work.

tolbs17

Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2020, 02:40:59 PM

Ehh, the screen was pretty low before. Now it's closer to the dashboard and better in line with your vision of the road. Nevermind that insane level of glossy black on the old design. Before I retired from valet, I drove a few 2018 Camry rentals, and the area around the buttons that surrounded the screen was smudge-central. Mostly as a result of people trying to click one button but missing, or hitting one but having it not work.
So back to 2007 the screen was too low.

jakeroot

Quote from: tolbs17 on September 17, 2020, 02:44:27 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2020, 02:40:59 PM

So back to 2007 the screen was too low.

Cars existed for 50+ years without seatbelts. Doesn't mean you can't rectify bad choices.

Sort of off-topic: Toyota has put screens above the dash before, but it mostly a stylistic choice. For example, we my father used to have a 2006 Prius (with navigation!) that had a screen that sat above the dashboard. It also had a backup camera and bluetooth. Very ahead of its time. It also had climate control buttons on the steering wheel, and the shifter was super unusual. Totally a cool car. Wrecked by a drunk woman in Southern Illinois in 2011.

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2020, 03:19:57 PM
Sort of off-topic: Toyota has put screens above the dash before, but it mostly a stylistic choice. For example, we used to have a 2006 Prius (with navigation!) that had a screen that sat above the dashboard. It also had a backup camera and bluetooth. Very ahead of its time. It also had climate control buttons on the steering wheel, and the shifter was super unusual. Totally a cool car. Wrecked by a drunk woman in Southern Illinois in 2011.

For some reason, I was reading this as a collective "we" meaning the car-driving community, and generally describing the design of the vehicle rather than referring to an individual car. Then I get to the end where the design is "wrecked by a drunk woman in Southern Illinois in 2011," and I'm thinking "that is some very specific vaguing about some Toyota executive..."
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 17, 2020, 03:24:00 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2020, 03:19:57 PM
Sort of off-topic: Toyota has put screens above the dash before, but it mostly a stylistic choice. For example, we used to have a 2006 Prius (with navigation!) that had a screen that sat above the dashboard. It also had a backup camera and bluetooth. Very ahead of its time. It also had climate control buttons on the steering wheel, and the shifter was super unusual. Totally a cool car. Wrecked by a drunk woman in Southern Illinois in 2011.

For some reason, I was reading this as a collective "we" meaning the car-driving community, and generally describing the design of the vehicle rather than referring to an individual car. Then I get to the end where the design is "wrecked by a drunk woman in Southern Illinois in 2011," and I'm thinking "that is some very specific vaguing about some Toyota executive..."

I should probably use more specific pronouns in the future!

Stephane Dumas

Speaking of Camrys, I spotted this article about a well preserved 1986 Camry. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/09/20/a-well-preserved-1986-toyota-camry-is-essentially-the-playbook-for-how-to-sell-cars-to-america

It's been ages I didn't saw a first-gen Camry, here in Quebec, they've been eaten by road salt.

zachary_amaryllis

How about no screens?

THANK you.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.