Faster routes that bypass the freeway

Started by tradephoric, July 18, 2019, 11:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tradephoric

What are some routes where it's faster to take a surface street than a freeway?  Assume that both routes are completely free-flowing and traffic would not be an issue.  Driving out of Pontiac towards Detroit there is a sign that estimates the time to get to I-75/696 via Woodward Ave (14 mile route along a surface street) and I-75 (18 mile route along a freeway).  The sign isn't illuminated in Streetview but yesterday driving past the sign it estimated that it would take 18 minutes along both routes.  I took Woodward Ave and sure enough it took me exactly 18 minutes.  Even though you are only averaging ~50 mph on Woodward, the route is 4 miles shorter than I-75 so you get there roughly the same time. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.618764,-83.2787472,3a,75y,143.16h,91.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sw3KGZEA47ej7NxNlqmsLpg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

thspfc

From Menomonee Falls WI, it's 2 minutes and 4 miles quicker to take Fond du Lac Ave (WI-145) to the Marquette Interchange than it is to take the Zoo Freeway to I-94. Granted, part of WI-145 is a freeway, until Hampton Ave.

tradephoric

Quote from: thspfc on July 18, 2019, 11:50:02 AM
From Menomonee Falls WI, it's 2 minutes and 4 miles quicker to take Fond du Lac Ave (WI-145) to the Marquette Interchange than it is to take the Zoo Freeway to I-94. Granted, part of WI-145 is a freeway, until Hampton Ave.

Nice example. It does look like you would be driving on the surface street section of Fond du Lac Ave that looks llittered with traffic signals for about 5 miles, but it's a much more direct route than the freeway.

We actually tested it in rural area. US 34 between Galesburg and 80 is about 12 minutes shorter but there is never more than a couple of minutes difference in say or the other.

tradephoric

Quote from: 3467 on July 18, 2019, 01:06:17 PM
We actually tested it in rural area. US 34 between Galesburg and 80 is about 12 minutes shorter but there is never more than a couple of minutes difference in say or the other.

Nice so if you are heading towards Chicago from Galesburg it's about as fast to go up US 34 to cut up to I-80 instead of taking I-74?  I plugged that route into Google maps and it looks like it detours off US-34 to bypass Galva & Kewanee.  According to Google Maps it's only a few minutes slower taking US-34 but several miles shorter (as you mentioned).

TheStranger

Here's one that isn't necessarily identified anywhere, or even signed as such, but comes to mind immediately:

from SFO airport to the Golden Gate Bridge, taking I-380/I-280/Route 1 as opposed to staying on US 101.

Both routes (due to the 1950s/1960s San Francisco freeway revolts) involve surface street routings, Route 1 via Junipero Serra/19th Avenue/Park Presidio Boulevard through the Sunset and Richmond districts and US 101 via its longstanding Van Ness/Lombard path past Civic Center/Hayes Valley, Pacific Heights, and Cow Hollow/Marina.

While 101 is freeway for longer, Van Ness is currently filled with construction for the MUNI bus rapid transit lanes, and has way more of a grade than the 19th Avenue section of 101.  And 101 between the Alemany Maze interchange with 280 and Hospital Curve is a choke point on a daily basis.

Another thought - though this is technically not entirely bypassing the freeway, so similar to the WI 145 example above - from Koreatown in LA to LAX Airport: taking La Cienega Boulevard (including the section of freeway that was supposed to be Route 170) instead of staying on I-10 to get to I-405 south.

---

I thought of this one because of how often it gets mentioned in the Interstate 11 threads, but would using AZ 85/I-8 between Buckeye, AZ and Casa Grande, AZ be generally faster than I-10 et al. connecting those two cities?
Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

Shea Boulevard from AZ 51 was definitely a way faster way to get to east Scottsdale and Fountain Hills than having to loop all the way up on AZ 101.  Shea Boulevard aside the area near Scottsdale Road has a surprisingly low amount of traffic compared to nearby Cactus Road for some reason.

zzcarp

From Denver to Flagstaff, it's about an hour shorter to go I-70>US 191>US163>US160>US 89>I-40 than it is to take I-25 to I-40.

It's also a bit faster and shorter to take US 285 from Denver to Santa Fe than I-25 due to I-25's p-trap through Glorieta Pass

Back east somewhat, it's about a half-hour faster to get to I-75 and the upper peninsula of Michigan from the Chicago area to take I-94>I-196>US 131>M-55 (non-freeway)>US 127 than to take the all-freeway I-94>I-69>US 127.

Another one is in Wisconsin where it's faster to get from WI 29 to US 41 north by taking County Road E from Shawano to the US 141/US 41 interchange than to follow WI 29 to Green Bay to catch US 41 north.
So many miles and so many roads

TheStranger

One mentioned earlier in a different thread:

Between Los Alamos, CA and Santa Barbara, Route 154 is the hypotenuse of a triangle formed with the L-shaped segment of US 101 between those two points.  Save for a roundabout added about 4-5 years ago at the 154/246 junction, 154 is mostly free of stops along a shorter routing, the only caveat being that it is only two lanes wide and has some curves.

Chris Sampang

tradephoric

Quote from: TheStranger on July 18, 2019, 02:18:31 PM
One mentioned earlier in a different thread:

Between Los Alamos, CA and Santa Barbara, Route 154 is the hypotenuse of a triangle formed with the L-shaped segment of US 101 between those two points.  Save for a roundabout added about 4-5 years ago at the 154/246 junction, 154 is mostly free of stops along a shorter routing, the only caveat being that it is only two lanes wide and has some curves.

That looks like a fun but potentially deadly drive with all of those curves!  Is Route 154 known for a lot of fatalities?

Gulol

In the Thousand Oaks/Simi Valley, CA area, Olsen Rd/Madera Rd is a quicker and shorter alternative by about 4 miles to go from CA 23 to CA 118

GaryV

Quote from: tradephoric on July 18, 2019, 11:21:58 AM
... Driving out of Pontiac towards Detroit there is a sign that estimates the time to get to I-75/696 via Woodward Ave (14 mile route along a surface street) and I-75 (18 mile route along a freeway).  ...
Given the construction on I-75, that's hardly surprising, especially at "rush" hour.

sparker

Quote from: TheStranger on July 18, 2019, 01:38:09 PM
I thought of this one because of how often it gets mentioned in the Interstate 11 threads, but would using AZ 85/I-8 between Buckeye, AZ and Casa Grande, AZ be generally faster than I-10 et al. connecting those two cities?

Generally speaking, under full-speed (or close) traffic circumstances, staying on I-10 (or even the slight same-distance detour over I-17) through PHX usually takes less time than the combination of AZ 85 and I-8, primarily because of Gila Bend itself (if bypassed, it would probably be close to a wash!).  However -- and this pertains to either direction on I-10 -- if travel plans had one hitting PHX between 5:30 and 9 in the morning or 3-7:30 or so in the evening, the 8/85 Gila Bend detour would save a lot of time -- at least according to my own experience; I've done both alternatives.  Regardless of whether AZ 85 is brought out to full freeway status and that connects free-flow to I-8, it'll invariably be a better alternative during PHX commute hours.

Yes tradephoric. I have  done that route too. I ground thruthed  all of them. Basically the travel time depends more on traffic in Chicagoland  than particular route. Taking the 110 is also about 11 miles longer but same time.
Here is a plan that will appeal to roadgeeks  . It was from a late friend who worked road construction
If there are 2 viable routes take one there and the other back.

Also Galva  is only one stop sign and Kewanee has one of those secret bypasses.

skluth

It's not all freeway being bypassed. But Wisconsin residents usually use WI 26 between Waupun and Oshkosh rather than US 151 and I-41. US 151 is a non-stop expressway between Fond du Lac and Madison, though it incongruously has a stoplight at the I-41 interchange. (At least it used to have a stoplight. I haven't been up that way in a few years now.) It's usually about ten minutes quicker to go through Rosendale - and its local-yokel speed trap - than the four-lane express route.

Max Rockatansky

Another big freeway bypass in the Phoenix Area is using AZ 87, AZ 260, AZ 277, AZ 377 and AZ 77 over I-17/I-40 to reach the New Mexico State Line.  The route I described above almost takes a direct diagonal towards New Mexico whereas the freeway will have you heading in straight lines. 

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on July 18, 2019, 04:07:50 PM
... Driving out of Pontiac towards Detroit there is a sign that estimates the time to get to I-75/696 via Woodward Ave (14 mile route along a surface street) and I-75 (18 mile route along a freeway).  ...
Given the construction on I-75, that's hardly surprising, especially at "rush" hour.
That and traffic on Woodward moves pretty good even at rush hour.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 18, 2019, 10:21:11 PM

That's pretty much true of almost all the surface routes.  I used to take Grand River to M-39 all the time and US 24 on Telegraph.  Sometimes you can hit all greens on Telegraph if you're lucky. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 18, 2019, 10:23:37 PM

That's pretty much true of almost all the surface routes.  I used to take Grand River to M-39 all the time and US 24 on Telegraph.  Sometimes you can hit all greens on Telegraph if you're lucky.
Probably because even in a street like Woodward's case most of the traffic is on the freeways.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 18, 2019, 10:26:50 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 18, 2019, 10:23:37 PM

Probably because even in a street like Woodward's case most of the traffic is on the freeways.

A lot of it has to do with the design of the traffic flow.  Compared to most states the control of surface traffic is pretty top notch, especially on MDOT roadways in Metro Detroit.  I really wish other states would adopt the Michigan Left since it can make a huge difference at major junctions. 

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 18, 2019, 08:18:08 PM
Another big freeway bypass in the Phoenix Area is using AZ 87, AZ 260, AZ 277, AZ 377 and AZ 77 over I-17/I-40 to reach the New Mexico State Line.  The route I described above almost takes a direct diagonal towards New Mexico whereas the freeway will have you heading in straight lines. 

Essentially my route of choice heading NE out of PHX; been doing it since mid-'90's.  The scenery along the Mogollon Ridge, largely followed by AZ 260, is nothing short of breathtaking (especially in spring & fall).  But Payson, Star Valley, Forest Lakes and the like have always eerily reminded me of CA mountain towns -- such as the tragic Paradise!  And that area seems to be "wildfire central" in that region; the blend of houses & cabins intermixed with trees is likely to eventually suffer a similar fate.  One of my old UCR college buddies and his wife split up (after 33 years together!); she ended up moving to Show Low (which barely dodged a fire bullet several years back) against my recommendations to the contrary for just that reason (I'd suggested the St. George area, since she seemed to prefer milder weather).  That entire region -- from the US 93/I-11 corridor eastward into NM, and encompassing Prescott and the resort towns along AZ 89A, is a tinderbox -- a fire waiting to happen!  But in the meantime, it's a nice shortcut between PHX and ABQ or, if one is ambitious and doesn't mind a jaunt up us 491 and into CO, Denver (491>64>516>550>160>112>285 is one of my all-time favorite "personal corridors").  Far more satisfying than sticking to the Interstates through Flagstaff and Albuquerque.   :nod:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on July 19, 2019, 02:50:56 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 18, 2019, 08:18:08 PM

Essentially my route of choice heading NE out of PHX; been doing it since mid-'90's.  The scenery along the Mogollon Ridge, largely followed by AZ 260, is nothing short of breathtaking (especially in spring & fall).  But Payson, Star Valley, Forest Lakes and the like have always eerily reminded me of CA mountain towns -- such as the tragic Paradise!  And that area seems to be "wildfire central" in that region; the blend of houses & cabins intermixed with trees is likely to eventually suffer a similar fate.  One of my old UCR college buddies and his wife split up (after 33 years together!); she ended up moving to Show Low (which barely dodged a fire bullet several years back) against my recommendations to the contrary for just that reason (I'd suggested the St. George area, since she seemed to prefer milder weather).  That entire region -- from the US 93/I-11 corridor eastward into NM, and encompassing Prescott and the resort towns along AZ 89A, is a tinderbox -- a fire waiting to happen!  But in the meantime, it's a nice shortcut between PHX and ABQ or, if one is ambitious and doesn't mind a jaunt up us 491 and into CO, Denver (491>64>516>550>160>112>285 is one of my all-time favorite "personal corridors").  Far more satisfying than sticking to the Interstates through Flagstaff and Albuquerque.   :nod:

You're referring to Wallow Fire with Show Low I believe.  I had to spend a week up there when the fire was at it's peak deciding whether or not to close to a job site.  If I recall the fire never got closer than 20 miles from Show Low at any point.  That said I've never seen a mushroom cloud that large and when the wind turned all that smoke blew into town making it seem like the atom bomb went off.  Greer was the little town that almost got wiped off the map during that fire on the south end of AZ 373.

For a couple years Arizona was having a huge plague of wild fires but always seemed to dodge what happened in Paradise.  The worst one was ironically was one of the smallest with the Yarnell Hill Fire which killed a bunch of fire fighters. 

Kulerage

A lot of North Carolinians know that between Charlotte and Raleigh, it's generally a safer bet to take NC 49 and US 64 instead of I-85 and I-40.

Roadgeekteen

US 212 instead of I-90 in Montana/Wyoming/South Dakota
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.