News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Faster routes that bypass the freeway

Started by tradephoric, July 18, 2019, 11:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Road Hog

In North Dallas I take Preston Road instead of the Tollway to get to LBJ. One, it's free, but the better thing is it's not usually bumper to bumper and moves a little faster than the posted speed (45). You might get a little hung up on the lights in Plano but once you get south of the Bush the lights are synced green almost all the way to LBJ.

tradephoric

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 18, 2019, 10:29:06 PM
A lot of it has to do with the design of the traffic flow.  Compared to most states the control of surface traffic is pretty top notch, especially on MDOT roadways in Metro Detroit.  I really wish other states would adopt the Michigan Left since it can make a huge difference at major junctions. 

Detroit is near the bottom of the list for freeway lane miles per capita.    I have always felt that its low on this list because of the expansive boulevards running throughout the metro region.  They were originally known as "super-highways" and when constructed in the 1920s these massive 8-lane boulevards cut through corn fields 15 miles out from the city center.  At the time they really did look like roads to nowhere. 

thspfc

Quote from: Road Hog on July 22, 2019, 04:33:25 AM
In North Dallas I take Preston Road instead of the Tollway to get to LBJ. One, it's free, but the better thing is it's not usually bumper to bumper and moves a little faster than the posted speed (45). You might get a little hung up on the lights in Plano but once you get south of the Bush the lights are synced green almost all the way to LBJ.
I've never had any problems with the N Dallas Tollway, but maybe just because I hit it at the right time.

plain

Quote from: tradephoric on July 23, 2019, 07:55:35 AM
A lot of it has to do with the design of the traffic flow.  Compared to most states the control of surface traffic is pretty top notch, especially on MDOT roadways in Metro Detroit.  I really wish other states would adopt the Michigan Left since it can make a huge difference at major junctions. 

Detroit is near the bottom of the list for freeway lane miles per capita.    I have always felt that its low on this list because of the expansive boulevards running throughout the metro region.  They were originally known as "super-highways" and when constructed in the 1920s these massive 8-lane boulevards cut through corn fields 15 miles out from the city center.  At the time they really did look like roads to nowhere. 

That's a very interesting list. Do they have a more recent one?
Newark born, Richmond bred

roadman65

It probably was mentioned before, but US 46 and NJ 3 both bring traffic to Midtown New York faster than using I-80 to either I-95 S Bound or I-95 N Bound to NY 9A S Bound.

In Wayne, NJ the signage at Exit 53 states that US 46 to NJ 3 is  only for Clifton and the Lincoln Tunnel, but I-80 East to the GW Bridge is signed for NYC as if it is the suggested route to all of NYC.

One can argue NYC is way to ambiguous as its hard to pick a point where to send people, so being I-80 defaults into I-95 which does enter New York City after crossing the GWB, its probably that NJDOT said to keep all signs on the freeway.  Yet again, US 46 and NJ 3 together for the trip to the tunnel is freeway like as it has no stoplights and major intersections at grade as well.

Still not full freeway and the trip to Midtown is still faster via the non interstate here.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tolbs17

In Northern Virginia US301 over I-95 if there's too much traffic on I-95.

roadman65

What about US 19 north of Beckley, WV?  It is faster than staying on the interstate to reach I-79?  Just watch your speed in Summerville and you will be fine, but it is an expressway and WV usually builds them to near interstate grade so it is not only shorter but a good bypass to Charleston and the tolls.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 27, 2019, 10:59:12 PM

It would take a catastrophic incident on I-95.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Road Hog

That explains why it's so easy to get around San Antonio. Driving there is no problem at all. (As long as you don't go too far north on 281; that's a little bit of a choke point.)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on July 31, 2019, 11:43:24 PM

For someone not using the HO/T lanes, it could easily be faster.

A better example could be US-50 / US-301 / DE-1 over I-95. Bypasses Baltimore, cheaper, and only slightly slower and if there's congestion on I-95, it ends up being faster without question. Only unreliable when congestion is existent near the Bay Bridge.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 02, 2019, 09:52:37 PM
Quote from: Beltway on July 31, 2019, 11:43:24 PM
For someone not using the HO/T lanes, it could easily be faster.

US-301 in Southern Maryland has its own serious traffic problems, and has at least 50 signals between the Potomac River and US-50, and has a $6.00 southbound toll at the Nice Bridge.

I tried it one Friday afternoon recently, in lieu of I-95 and the HOT lanes, and in lieu of dealing with the Capital Beltway, and it was horrendous, with at least eight 1/2 to 1 mile long or more "move an inch" backups mainly on the section between US-50 and La Plata, and based on the advancing ETA on my nav system, I experienced at least 60 minutes of delay, and there were no incidents or former incidents on the route, just peak period traffic.  The bridge itself wasn't a problem, nor was VA US-301 and VA-207 any real problem.

From E-ZPass log to give time of travel --
4/12/2019 6:31:55 PM   MdTA Potomac Bridge  -6.00

I'm not going to do that again outside of a reported catastrophe on I-95.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

mb2001

Sometimes taking US 20 instead of the Pike in Western Mass is much faster. The Pike backs up relatively frequently, and 20 has speed limits of 50 mph (80 km/h) for large portions of its length.

Finrod

When going from Lafayette, Indiana to Indianapolis, people often take US 52 down to Lebanon and pick up I-65 there rather than going out to I-65, the road built to bypass it.  I haven't timed it but US 52 is much straighter, is 4-lane divided, and has less traffic.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Revive 755

Quote from: Finrod on October 19, 2019, 01:03:28 AM
When going from Lafayette, Indiana to Indianapolis, people often take US 52 down to Lebanon and pick up I-65 there rather than going out to I-65, the road built to bypass it.  I haven't timed it but US 52 is much straighter, is 4-lane divided, and has less traffic.

Even if it's slower than I-65, US 52 is a much more pleasant drive until the Lafayette area.  The Lafayette area, with its numerous poorly, if not anti-coordinated stoplights, wipes out any time savings.

jp the roadgeek

From Waterbury, CT to Albany, NY, it is easier to either take CT/MA 8 to US 20 or CT 8/CT 254/CT 118/US 202/CT 63/US 7/MA 41/MA 102/NYSRR 980D/NY 22 to get to I-90 than it is to backtrack on I-84 to Hartford, and take I-91 to West Springfield to catch it.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Thing 342

From most (?) points within Hampton Roads, it's typically faster to take US-58 to Emporia than I-64/295 when heading for NC and points south on I-95. I-85 is a bit more even, but US-58 wins out by a lot for those on the Southside.

sprjus4

Quote from: Thing 342 on October 21, 2019, 06:00:12 PM
From most (?) points within Hampton Roads, it's typically faster to take US-58 to Emporia than I-64/295 when heading for NC and points south on I-95. I-85 is a bit more even, but US-58 wins out by a lot for those on the Southside.
I wouldn't even consider that an option. That's adding at least an hour on. I don't care for US-58, but I wouldn't drive all the way up there just to stay on interstate highways.

US-460 to I-85 is a more reasonable option, and is only 50 miles of arterial highway over 90 miles of US-58. It adds on about 15-20 minutes, but if you're trying to stick to interstate highways and a more reasonable option, it works. I've done it a few different times, and it's more tolerable IMO than US-58 all the way. You could also take I-85 to I-40 to I-87 / US-64 at Raleigh to I-95 to avoid the portion of US-58 west of Emporia. That's my preferred routing when heading southwest, I've taken that routing thru Raleigh numerous times where I've only done I-85 directly to I-85 a couple times.

Heading directly to I-95, I've done both US-58 and US-17 / US-64. US-17 / US-64 tacks on an additional 15-20 minutes, but is more enjoyable IMO, less traffic, and more 70 mph zones. The segment between Elizabeth City and Chesapeake is also limited-access, and just about everybody does 70-75 mph by default despite the 55 - 60 mph limits, so it's easier to get through that ~30 mile stretch without heavily standing out (not that there's any enforcement anyways). There's been at least once where I've been able to maintain 70 mph thruout the entire US-17 stretch, with the exception of the small urban segments, I'm not insane enough to do 70 mph in a 35 - 45 mph zone. On the contrary, pushing ~67-68 mph breaks a comfort barrier when I'm driving on US-58, especially with the amount of enforcement I've seen along that road, and previous experience with police on that road, also the fact most people don't exceed this speed. You also avoid the congested urban area outside of Suffolk which is a nice bonus, plus all of the High Rise Bridge corridor at least if you're heading to the eastern side of Southern HR.

Traffic originating in Hampton / Newport News / Williamsburg can reasonably take I-64 to I-295 to I-85 as a preferred routing, though if there was congestion on I-64 as there usually is during peak periods, I'd just opt for US-58. Sure, I-64 is 70 mph and US-58 is only 60 mph, but I'm more likely to be going 60 - 65 mph on US-58 and 20 - 40 mph on I-64.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Road Hog on August 02, 2019, 08:41:59 PM

That explains why it's so easy to get around San Antonio. Driving there is no problem at all. (As long as you don't go too far north on 281; that's a little bit of a choke point.)

And it also explains why traffic in Chicagoland was/is bad. Our surface street network is fairly poor.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^
Noticed that the "top ten" all have full or composite Interstate beltways surrounding them (DFW's consisting of interwoven facilities); OKC is the highest-ranking metro area without a full outer Interstate beltway (adding the Kilpatrick probably increases the overall lane-miles -- and this was tabulated in 1999, prior to the relocation of I-40 downtown.  But heading down the list, only three additional cities feature I-belts, which undoubtedly skews their "ranking" in this list downward.  I for one am hardly surprised by KC's #1 ranking (by a long shot!), considering they're served by (a) four trunk/2d Interstates, (b) one of the longest beltways by mileage, (c) a substantial number of connecting freeways, including I-470 & I-635 (plus the legally sporadic Watkins and the cross-regional connectors north of the Missouri River).  The times I've been in the area I was astounded by how easy it was to get around the area by car (albeit not during commute periods).  For better or worse, that area has certainly cast its lot (the US 71/Watkins controversy notwithstanding) with automotive transport.

bzakharin

My commute. It varies based on how much traffic there is, but as per Google Maps when I choose to depart at midnight (little to no traffic), it is a few minutes faster to take NJ 73 South to the Atlantic City Expressway (Exit 31) than I-295 South to NJ 42 South to Atlantic City Expressway East (Exit 44) and go the 13 miles to exit 31.

In practice during the day, the freeway route is faster when there is no significant congestion because of local traffic on NJ 73.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.