News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Is San Francisco taking car-theft victims for a ride?

Started by ZLoth, August 23, 2013, 07:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From SF Gate:

Is San Francisco taking car-theft victims for a ride?
QuoteEach year, roughly 2,000 stolen cars are towed off San Francisco's city streets and stowed at the private Auto Return parking lot. When the police call and say they have found the car, the owner is relieved - until he or she gets to the parking lot.

That's when a familiar melodrama plays out:

Car owner: "Hi, I'm here to get my car."

Auto Return: "Certainly. That will be $500."

Car owner: "WHAT? But my car was STOLEN!"

Auto Return: "Sorry, that's the law."

Sadly, that is the law.

"It's like if somebody stole your purse and then there's a $150 fee for using lost and found," says David LaBua, who wrote a book about parking in San Francisco. "You car is stolen, you're traumatized, and you're thinking, 'What? I'm the victim here.' "
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.